Skip to content

Novice Difficulty: All Hit Point rolls are not maximum?

FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
I'm playing on Novice difficulty.

For Normal Difficulty the game states that "All Hit Point Rolls are maximum, characters cannot permanently die, all spells learned automatically, Monsters do 3 quarters damage", for Novice it states "Same as Normal and the monsters only do half damage".

For Jaheira, her stats say
Class Hit Points/Level: +9
Hit Points/Level: +3

Yet when she levels up she only gains 5 life points? I've been noticing this for a while now... If my assumption is wrong (That those numbers should be added UP), then let me know.

So far my PC character is leveling correctly (14 points every level up which matches his combined total of his instance of the 2 stats I mentioned above ^)
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Multiclass HP gains are divided by two or three per level up depending on how many classes they have.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited November 2013
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the information. Would be nice to see a patch implement some way of conveying this information within the game interface like for instance: Multiclass Hitpoint Penalty: x0.5?

Or some such ^_^"

If it already says it somewhere, lemme know.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Fairly sure it's in the manual
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    I have a very similar problem with SINGLE CLASS characters.

Currently Viconia just got enough exp for her level 10.
    On her Character screen I can see "Class Hit Point/Level: +8". Once I click "Level Up" she gets +2 Hit points ant her Character Screen changes to "Class Hit Point/Level: +2".

I also had the very same problem with Hexxat - attached a screen shot.

I have a feeling that the same is going to happen with all of the other charaters.

I have also attached my save with Viconia ready for going up a level - hopefully this helps you to
    reproduces and fix the problem.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @mirk This is not a bug. Level 10+ characters have a fixed HP progression that depends entirely on their class. Wizards get +1/level; clerics, thieves, and monks get +2/level; and non-monk warriors get +3/level.
    edited November 2013
    Jalily said:

Multiclass HP gains are divided by two or three per level up depending on how many classes they have.

I just realized that Jaheira earns 12 health points (9 base, 3 bonus) yet she only receives 5? Shouldn't she be getting 6 (Druid/Fighter)?

Edit: And other times she gains 7...
    Post edited by Franpa on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Franpa said:

Jalily said:

I just realized that Jaheira earns 12 health points (9 base, 3 bonus) yet she only receives 5? Shouldn't she be getting 6 (Druid/Fighter)?

Edit: And other times she gains 7...
    That's because non-integer HP is usually rounded down, but the game also makes sure that you always get your full CON bonus to HP (i.e. makes sure that you aren't losing bonus HP due to rounding errors). So the first class you level up in will get 3/2 bonus HP, which will be rounded down to 1. When you level up in your second class, you will get the remaining +2 HP from your CON bonus.
    edited November 2013
    Ah, so it performs the rounding on the base HP Roll independent of the Bonus HP Roll and it combines both rolls after rounding has been taken in to account?

So 9/2 is rounded down to 4, 3/2 is rounded down to 1 and then both the base HP Roll and Bonus HP Roll get added together (equaling 5)?

I'm still not quite sure about why it varies some times (Sometimes it's 7), could you please further (re-iterate) clarify why that happens? Does multi-class characters gain experience in all their classes and each class levels up? If so, I thought the Multi Class information screen when deciding what to multi-class in to says that that isn't what happens.

Edit: Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the differences between Multiclass and Dual Class.
    Edit 2: No I'm not.
    Post edited by Franpa on
    edited November 2013
    image (1920x1080): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196096553
    Okay so on this screen it says +9 HP/Level & 3 Bonus HP/Level. With my previous logic this results in HP+5 per level as a Druid.

Previous logic: 9/2=4.5, 3/2=1.5, round 4.5 down to 4, round 1.5 down to 1, 4+1=5

Now I haven't been paying any attention to leveling up and didn't realize she was leveling up in both classes in an alternating fashion, nor did I know you could wait a bit longer after leveling up in order to gain enough XP to focus on a specific Class (Level up as druid? Don't choose to do the level up, instead wait until you have enough XP for the Fighter class and you can level up as a Fighter twice in a row!).

When I level up as a Fighter I gain 7 HP per level, not 5 HP. Please explain how this is possible. I can't think of how that is possible with rounding down. My friend says Druid's have 1D6 dice rolls and Fighters have 1D10 dice rolls, this I believe is incorrect as that makes no sense in this situation either unless things round UP!

6+3 bonus combined, divide the combined amount (9) by 2, rounded UP = 5. 10+3 bonus combined, divide the combined amount (13) by 2, rounded UP = 7.

Previous, incorrect logic: 9/2=4.5, 3/2=1.5, round 4.5 down to 4, round 1.5 down to 1, 4+1=5 Current, correct logic: 6+3=9, 9/2=4.5, 4.5 rounds up to 5. Fighter rolls 1D10 per level up. Druid rolls 1D6 per level up.

This logic was worked out after discussion with a friend who also mentioned the different dice rolls for the classes (He's most familiar with D&D3.5 and newer rules).
    Post edited by Franpa on
    edited November 2013
    Another thing that added to my confusion is that the interface displaying your constitution bonus, displays it by it self with the display positioned directly beneath the value that combines both your Base HP Roll AND your Constitution bonus together.

I mean it displays it as:

Class Hit Points/Level: +9 (This already takes the Bonus Hit Points/Level number in to account... why show the Bonus Hit Points/Level number? It just makes things confusing. It would be better to not show Bonus Hit Points/Level at all and to either have the constitution bonus displayed as a tooltip when mousing over your Constitution stat or have Class Hit Points/Level display it like so: Class Hit Points/Level: +6 +3) Bonus Hit Points/Level: +3

And I mistakenly assumed you add the Bonus Hit Points/Level to the Class Hit Points/Level even though the Class Hit Points/Level display already took the Bonus Hit Points/Level in to account (Nothing indicates this in the game UI).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2013
    The Class HP of 9 listed in the character record screen is somewhat misleading. You're better off considering the HP from each class separately. So for your fighter class you're getting 10/2 (fighter's hit die divided by number of classes in your multiclass) and for druid you're getting 8/2 (druid's hit die divided by number of classes in your multiclass). So when you level up as a druid you get 4 HP from that class, and 3/2 (rounded down)=1 HP from CON. That's where the 5 HP comes from. Then when you level up as a fighter, you get 5 HP from that class, plus the remaining 2 HP from CON. That's where the 7 HP comes from.
    Franpa said:

Now I haven't been paying any attention to leveling up and didn't realize she was leveling up in both classes in an alternating fashion, nor did I know you could wait a bit longer after leveling up in order to gain enough XP to focus on a specific Class (Level up as druid? Don't choose to do the level up, instead wait until you have enough XP for the Fighter class and you can level up as a Fighter twice in a row!).

This is incorrect. There's no way to "focus" on 1 class or the other in a multiclass. All the xp you gain will always be divided evenly between all your classes. Once you reach enough xp you will level up in 1 of your classes (or both, if the xp tables for both classes happen to match up at some points). If you gain enough xp to level up in one class but wait until you also have enough to level up in you second class before actually clicking the level up button, you will level up in both at once, but you will get the exact same results as if you had leveled up as soon as possible in the first class. So there is no benefit to waiting.

Edit: Fixed broken link.
    I was going to say, after a while it dawned on me that my latest logic didn't make much sense either even though it resulted in the correct results. I mean my logic rendered the screen displaying +9 +3, as illogical.

So Druid's in this game roll a 1D8 die and not 1D6? Okay then. You've also better clarified how the Constitution bonus is applied to the level up process too, so now I believe I have a very firm grasp of how the system works. Thank you.
  • MalitiasMalitias Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2014
    Well, my F/M/T started to get only one hit point per lvl after starting BG2 (Con 18), even when lvling up as a fighter.

Edit: Tried it with all difficulties to make sure. Doesn't change anything. It's always the same.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    @Malitias: Your HP stops growing as fast when you level up to 10 (warriors and priests) or 11 (mages and thieves). After this point you start gaining a fixed number of HP (1-3 depending on the class) with no constitution bonus. Since you're a triple class it's always going to be 1 for each class.
  • MalitiasMalitias Member Posts: 10
    @Mitchfork: Thank you. Just realized Jalily also mentioned that.
    So your Con is only affecting your HP for the first 10-11 Lvl..
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Mithcfork level 9 for warrior and priest classes and level 10 for rouges and wizards classes.
    @Malitias gaining more HP from CON bonuses after level 9/10 was always bugged. In PS:T you gain HP from CON every single level up. Sometimes it gets bugged and it says that it gives a CON bonus but it already don't does so.