Skip to content

praise for black pits 2

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
so because of annoyances like disappearing enemies I decided to get on the black pits 2 before worrying about the campaign. I made my op group and continued into the game, bought my gear and started a match.....

black pits 2 is so much harder than the first! I know I have SCS in, but it feels like more than that. I was getting massacred on the first 2 fights. I would say the only one of the first 4 I didn't have trouble with was the 3rd. then I had to face umber hulks which are my least favorite enemy in this game and I had no door to take advantage of!

I think this will make for good training before I get into the campaign with SCS. It does feel like I am getting exp a little faster we should though. 500000 seems like a bit much and I hate to have to level up everybody out of the area when I have to choose all the spells.

black pits 2 is a good tactical challenge, and I am enjoying it. however if a patch were to come out I would still drop it for the story of BG2 :)
Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    SCS probably has little or no effect on BP2.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    edited November 2013
    @DavidW
    We use custom AI scripts for all BP2 creatures so SCS wouldn't do much there.

@ChildofBhaal599
    I'm glad you found the battles enjoyable. It should also be noted that all BP2 arena battles adjust to the currently selected game difficulty. I.e. the battles are harder on Core Rules than they are on Normal or Novice.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="aVENGER">@DavidW
    We use custom AI scripts for all BP2 creatures so SCS wouldn't do much there.

@ChildofBhaal599
    I'm glad you found the battles enjoyable. It should also be noted that all BP2 arena battles adjust to the currently selected game difficulty. I.e. the battles are harder on Core Rules than they are on Normal or Novice.

really? I did not know that. lol I am on insane with SCS and I thought the worst I had to deal with was the increase in damage taken, not actually harder battles :)

I just finished the drow battle now too. It was a real pain with SCS and insane, but it was well worth it when I won. well, except for the fact that after I won it wouldn't continue. It may be because I quicksaved and loaded inside the arena. Later on it may have been delayed or it just glitched but it said it was over before it even started. I just went with it because I already won :)
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I have to say that I don't really recommend playing SCS with the difficulty slider higher than Core - though you're welcome to, of course!
    DavidW said:

I have to say that I don't really recommend playing SCS with the difficulty slider higher than Core - though you're welcome to, of course!

lol well I am doing it anyway! when I play through SOA and TOB with SCS and ascension on insane somebody better be ready to give me a cookie if it is so extreme :)
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    So Black Pits 2 is good stuff then? Good to know. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
  • ZordrathZordrath Member Posts: 19
    Man, those Drow are eating me for breakfast right now oO Everything to that point was rather smooth sailing, but those guys are tough.

One thing I really liked was how this time there's some actual arena atmosphere, with the commentary and the cheers, and that you can hire other fighters as companions. Those are some really nice touches.
    edited November 2013
    Zordrath said:

Man, those Drow are eating me for breakfast right now oO Everything to that point was rather smooth sailing, but those guys are tough.

One thing I really liked was how this time there's some actual arena atmosphere, with the commentary and the cheers, and that you can hire other fighters as companions. Those are some really nice touches.

for the drow I started by using a bunch of summons to block the upper pathway where it comes to you. afterward use every buff you have, preferably for your party and you summons. a good archer is handy to be shooting at them during all this. with SCS I had them breaking through to attempt to get the mages so if my summons don't manage to block I also have my tanks go up to keep them at bay. I left the mage of the group for last, hit him with some weakening spells, then breached down his defenses and shot him down.

offensive spells are useless during this battle, so just make sure you have buffs instead. due to the high MR of the drow they are likely to shrug off your magic if you try. if you don't have a weapon to deal with a magical sword summon, however, magic missiles could come in handy.
  • ZordrathZordrath Member Posts: 19
    Good idea, thanks! When I first tried summons they turned them over to their side, but turns I just hadn't reached critical mass yet :P With a bunch of elementals, several beasts und undead and a pit fiend, the drow suddenly looked mighty small...

The vampire afterwards wasn't nearly as tough, though that may be due to the fact that everything's easier with Lvl9 spells... :D
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Just remember best Archer IG is a Assassin or a Blackgaurd, that Poison does work!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I absolutely agree. The atmosphere and the other "legendary gladiators" add a lot to it. It's like moving from the small arena in Spartacus Gods of the Arena to the big one that rivals Rome. I also love the "random gift from a fan" - lets me pretend I'm playing the "Pits of Hell" lottery from Spartacus too. It certainly helps to mix things up. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the long way from the bunks to the merchant area and arena, but I shall enable console and happily beam around, so it's not really an issue.

For the drow mentioned: the ideal summon to block the path are carrion crawlers put on the narrow part near the platform. They'll get stuck there and permanently block the path, while more capable summons can go the other direction and draw the attention of the drow. The carrion crawlers made a neat blockade for my ranged and casting party members.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Still a little more than a month to go. I'd definitely spend my holidays playing to catch up. Black Pits 2 is the one I'm most excited about; knowing from you guys that it's really challenging adds more excitement to it, more so is the Spartacus-like progression...awesome!
    @Illustair - The "Spartacus Effect" comes from much more dialogue. Before every battle, your "master" asks you if you want to address the crowd. There are 5 or 6 options (including refusing to speak) and I assume the ones I didn't pick so far will give other extras or rewards. I always said I need better weapons to be more entertaining, so I got weapons and one time a leather armor, so I don't know what rewards. Of one option, I suspect it gives you + reputation - it sounds quite paladin-y and I got a random +1 rep earlier for talking to another captive/gladiator. Not sure what rep is good for, but I'm too greedy and too attached to the idea to go with whatever weapon I get to try. XD

@Illustair - The "Spartacus Effect" comes from much more dialogue. Before every battle, your "master" asks you if you want to address the crowd. There are 5 or 6 options (including refusing to speak) and I assume the ones I didn't pick so far will give other extras or rewards. I always said I need better weapons to be more entertaining, so I got weapons and one time a leather armor, so I don't know what rewards. Of one option, I suspect it gives you + reputation - it sounds quite paladin-y and I got a random +1 rep earlier for talking to another captive/gladiator. Not sure what rep is good for, but I'm too greedy and too attached to the idea to go with whatever weapon I get to try. XD

reputation will allow you to take advantage of the cheaper prices :)

I've actually been going through the entire thing insulting and saying that my enemies are no match, getting on his nerves! I didn't even know there are rewards if I were to ask for equipment or something. It is still fun to hear him get mad though :)
  • forgotten_wolfforgotten_wolf Member Posts: 28
    i'm stuck on the demon fights......i can't hit them and i die to quickly....even with a deva around.......also...the blue deva constantly runs back to heal which is an annoying script that i don't know how to turn off...
    edited November 2013

reputation will allow you to take advantage of the cheaper prices :)

I've actually been going through the entire thing insulting and saying that my enemies are no match, getting on his nerves! I didn't even know there are rewards if I were to ask for equipment or something. It is still fun to hear him get mad though :)
    @ChildofBhaal599 - I got +1 rep for talking to the drunk warrior guy, so I assumed there would be mini quests or something that depend on the reputation. If it's just store prices, I'll keep asking for better stuff. You get items that aren't in the stores and not bad ones. The first I got was a club +2 with bleeding damage, then a halberd +2 and a leather armor with some resistances. I sold what I had absolutely no use for, but generally, I find it easier to just use whatever the lottery gives me than deciding what from the stores I want to buy.

If I could add one thing to BP2, it would be a mode that generates 6 random weapons before each battle and that's all you get (you keep your armor and stuff, but weapons disappear after fights). Some really cool, some really crappy, maybe none your druid or mage can use, maybe none your party is proficient with... and the same happens for the opponents. (And it would add an announcer with a really shiny snakehead-shaped helm. Because.)
  • CalibrationsCalibrations Member Posts: 13
    Is there any main game benefit to beating Black Pits 2? Like in BG1, you'd get the option to recuirt Baeloth. Is there anything like that in BG2?

Is there any main game benefit to beating Black Pits 2? Like in BG1, you'd get the option to recuirt Baeloth. Is there anything like that in BG2?

baeloth was added in a patch, not a bonus from black pits :)

also, no bonuses in main game unless you go exporting your character into the main game, but the game would likely be boring with all that experience (unless you are into that kind of thing)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    For the drow fight I abused 4 casters in my group spamming Skeleton Warriors, and then battles them with 3 x MMM on my arcanes, and an archer from ranged (neither my aromoured tanks could survive). If you also wander around the holding area, you will find one NPC that will offer to join your group for free for a single match, and then if you pay him for future matches. I used up his free use on the Drow fight and he was a huge help.

Keeping any spell to keep hits off your party up is important too, stoneskin, iron skin, protection from magical weapons, mirror image. And fight at range to preserve charges. Bum rush the mage though, but its hard because at that point because a pure caster will only have level 8 spells. My inquisitors Dispell and True Seeing became very important in that match (need to fire dispel from a long enough range to not strip your own buffs, and normal dispel / remove magic wont work). Breach is vital, if you don't have a full stock of breach, and later spell strike spells, you are going to be in for a very hard time (anti caster sorcerer is super powerful in here and highly recommended). The thing that makes the drow fight worse is the spell resistance, and also that you wont have time stop and spellstrike yet.

Timestop> Spellstrike > Breach. Timestop > Spellstrike > Breach. Timestop > Spellstrike > Breach, plus a character that single out and destroy the casters like an archer with GWW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HII0-EncZa4

Damn those Liches and Maharajas that are immune to level 5 and below spells that cant be breached, go go inquisitor dispel.
  • GiladGilad Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know what is the effect of the speech choice at the beginning of the combat? In my first playthrough I usually took the "I have nothing to say." option. In the second "Can you give me a magic item?". I think that in the first case there was a bigger selection of magic items in shops (e.g. I could buy the belt of inertial barrier in a shop, but during my second game it was not there.) I also noticed that you do not always obtain the same item from fans after the fight.
    The sorcerer was the key figure in both of my BP2 playthroughs. Timestop->comet, comet, comet was usually enough and I usually did not need to break through enemy mage spell protections.
    Also in my second game a bounty hunter worked quite well. Untriggered traps remain in the arena till the next battle, but I feel this approach is quite cheesy. For example in the battle with demiliches, one of them was killed by traps immediately at the beginning of the battle, the second one was killed by a spike trap, which I put at my side of the map. The throwable maze traps were also very useful in most of the battles. My easiest fight was with the big clay golem - just timestop -> imprisonement -> game over.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I really liked the Black Pits, and the Black Pits 2 is even better. Very well done developers.

So guys, how did you defeat the two demiliches. Personally I did it with my Berserker alone, alternately I suppose you could use Spell Immunity: Abjuration to protect yourself from the soul trap, I'm just wondering if there are any other ways to do it.

Also did you guys find all the ways to undermine the Hunters? I did the scroll for the golem, poisoned Joker and replaced the efreet with Najiim. But what about the others? I picked up the feathers and glove from The Winged's room, but never figured out what to do with them. And I'm pretty sure you can pit the last two against each other, but I ultimately just killed them in the last fight myself.
    When you ask for magic items, you have a chance of getting a strong magic item from a fan after the match ends. I think the chance is higher the more the crowd like you, so if you pick option 1 a few times, then picking option 3 repeatedly can get you lots of free items.
    @Sceptenar
    Regarding the demiliches. The first time it was quite a mess and I lost half of my party and I also permanently lost one gladiator (the old wizard, forgot his name). I opened with time stop and comets, then I remember my inquisitor using whirlwind with mace of discruption, but he was imprisoned soo after, my druid was using the 7th-level electric disc spell (dont know the name), berserker was firing the short bow of Gesen. One demilich went down, but it still looked like the second one will finish me off, but my fighter/thief saved the day, when he set a spike trap far from the remaining demilich and then I lured the demilich to the trap, which killed him.
    I killed both demiliches with spike trap during my second play.

I also liked Black Pits 2 very much and I was pleasantly surprised with it. Good job developers.
    @Mungri
    I wonder if the chance of getting a strong magic item also depends on your performance in the arena, e.g. bigger chance for winning without loosing any party member, chunking the oponents etc.?
    edited November 2013
    Think I just got up to the Demiliches, I was struggling for ages with the red Devas, until I realized I could dispel their blade barriers and mirror images, so I ended up having my inquisitor spam dispel, sorc spamming remove magic, and buffing was pointless since they also dispel. Also threw in a few time stops > triple horrid wiltings / comets / dragons breaths, they had a lot of resistance but they still got hit a few times.

And then the liches are immune to Breach as well, so its not gonna be easy. Seems like Inquisitors are the most useful class to have in here to dispel and use true sight.
    Gilad said:

Untriggered traps remain in the arena till the next battle, but I feel this approach is quite cheesy.

This will be fixed in the next patch.

edited November 2013
    Sceptenar said:

So guys, how did you defeat the two demiliches.

Some of the performers are more useful than others in that battle.

Hire Timmoth or one of the mages. Timmoth will cast Holy Word while the mages will use Power Word: Kill both of which deal extra damage to the Demi Liches.

Im going to try do do it without hiring anyone first though. Preparing to die a lot now.