Skip to content

Anyone still like vanilla Ranger?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
I was thinking of playing as a vanilla ranger for my next full playthrough (beginning with BG1:EE) - admittedly, largely because I wanted an excuse to use this excellent portrait that Syntia13 created:

But aside from RP purposes, it seems to me that a vanilla ranger is still a very efficient class. After all, look at Kivan, who is generally considered one of, if not the best offensive machines in BG1 - and he doesn't even fully capitalize on the ranger's full potential, since he mainly specializes in halberds, which forgoes the ranger's dual-wield potential. Personally I love the fact that a ranger can be a fairly effective dual-wielder right off the bat, and those two prof points can be better spent elsewhere.

In other discussions, I've seen it said that the vanilla ranger class has been eclipsed by its kit classes. I don't agree. The ranger kits all have armor and/or weapon restrictions that prevent them from being effective tanks. What strikes me most about the vanilla ranger is that they can be both a skilled ranged fighter or a heavily armored, dual wielding tank with equal effectiveness.

What are other people's thoughts about vanilla rangers? Are there any other drawbacks that I'm overlooking here?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think ranger is one of the few classes where the non kitted class is actually worth while. If you don't want to specialize in archery or sneaking, the vanilla ranger is the best choice. I'm not even going to mention the beastmaster kit ;)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The biggest problem of Rangers is that they are not very well designed for high levels. They are a fine choice in BG1, but going to BG2 they gain so very little. Their spells cap early, and as proficiencies accumulate their 2-pip limit is felt more strongly.

Perhaps the ease of fighter dual-classing is to blame, too. In BG2 there is little to no reason not to do it, and end up considerably more powerful than a "hybrid" class like Ranger or Paladin. Rangers simply do not gain enough to offset dual-classing, particularly when higher levels are involved and XP values make dualing quite easy and quick (lvl 9 duals in BG2 can regain levels extremely fast).

That being said, the Ranger kits do mitigate this somewhat. Archers in particular are very, very good. They illustrate nicely just how much unique benefits you need to pack onto a pure class to make it better than (or at least comparable to) dual-class alternatives.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    My first ever full play-through of BG2 and ToB was with a non-kitted ranger. I dual-wielded katanas and had an illicit love affair with the Celestial Fury. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the base ranger.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    Vanilla rangers are awesome even though they don't get brought up alot.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Honestly, rangers can pull their weight, but basically fighters completly outclass them with grandmastery, and all the others 2 point classes destroys rangers (paladin spells are better, they get summon deva HLA and +2 saving throws, barbarians gets many benefits from rage and -20% damage reduction)

The lvl1-2-3 druid spells are pretty weak, not good enough to let them shine.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

The biggest problem of Rangers is that they are not very well designed for high levels. They are a fine choice in BG1, but going to BG2 they gain so very little. Their spells cap early, and as proficiencies accumulate their 2-pip limit is felt more strongly.

I admit, this was one of the things that I was concerned about when making this thread. Although for BG2, I usually prefer to specialize in a variety of weapons rather than grand master in a single one.

That being said, the Ranger kits do mitigate this somewhat. Archers in particular are very, very good. They illustrate nicely just how much unique benefits you need to pack onto a pure class to make it better than (or at least comparable to) dual-class alternatives.

What do you think of archers at the higher levels?
    Archers aren't amazing at endgame, but they are still worth it simply for the reason that endgame isn't the entire game - and for the rest of the game (particularly if you play the entire saga) Archers are ridiculously powerful.

It's only in late SoA and ToB that you begin to feel a drop in their relative power; partly because ranged weapons are limited in damage by ammo and the diminishing returns on Archer damage bonuses, partly because your melee characters end up with truly amazing weapons that blow the ranged alternatives out of the water. Many of the best ranged weapons (Tuigan Bow, Firetooth, Army Scythe) are available incredibly early, basically right as you step out into the city from Chateau Irenicus. That gives Archers a huge advantage, and makes them into true killing machines early on. However, there is a noticeable lack of good endgame ranged weapons, with only Shortbow of Gesen to be picked up until the very end of the entire series. Compared to the tools you can assemble for your melees, that's just not very good.

But again, Archers completely dominate the early game (and all of BG1), are very good in the mid-game, and still retain some of their usefulness in the late game. A compromise, I find, that is more than acceptable. After all, someone has to carry those dual-classers while they're in wimp-mode, eh? ¬_¬
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Archers are great to serve as caster interupters. Its nice to have one in your group for that purpose.

The base ranger is capable, but as many pointed out its not as strong as the other weapon based classes. Best use of the ranger for me is to dual class it to a Cleric from either level 7 or 9 ranger (only a 4 HP difference from waiting till level 9), though I'd rather dual from a level 9 slinger archer to make a super powered backline slinger divine, even though they can only put 2 points into slings, they still get lots of bonuses.
    @Mungri: I'm not sure that works. Afaik Archers only gain bonuses to bows and crossbows. Might be a wrong description, though, as they so often are... And can Archers even dual at all? It's been a while since I looked at that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2013
    Archers can dual.
    edited November 2013
    Ranger / Cleric is a valid dual class, and any ranger kit can dual to a cleric.

Archer gains +1 to hit and damage rolls with ANY missile weapon every 3 levels, called shot every 4 levels and grandmastery in bows or crossbows.

Going with slings instead just limits you to 2 points in slings, but you still gain +3 to hit and damage, 2 uses of Called Shot and 1.5 base attacks per round if you dual an Archer at level 9 to a Cleric.

You cant wear more than leather armour, but thats not really much of an issue for a backline Cleric.

Oh yea, and the main reason to do this - You gain ALL druid spells added to your Cleric spellbook too.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Hm...no.
    In my opinion, unless you want to specialize in sneaking (and thus a Stalker would come into mind) or Archery (Archer kit), the ranger is inferior to a normal Fighter.
    The minor druid spells do not make any real difference and if you strap your Ranger into heavy armor, he can't sneak.
    Which effectively makes him a Fighter, but without GrandMastery in weapons.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Do you get strength bonuses for all slings in BG2EE?

I'm not sold on that combo though, slings are still slings and are sorely lacking in APR. Especially if you dual (ie can't GWW). On the plus side Called Shot Energy Blades should be fun.

Still, I think the best use of the ranger>cleric dual is to charge in with iron skins and guns blazing.
    nano said:

Do you get strength bonuses for all slings in BG2EE?

I'm not sold on that combo though, slings are still slings and are sorely lacking in APR. Especially if you dual (ie can't GWW). On the plus side Called Shot Energy Blades should be fun.

Still, I think the best use of the ranger>cleric dual is to charge in with iron skins and guns blazing.

If you're going to make a cleric with a sling though, you may as well make an Archer / Cleric instead. Druid spells and much better sling bonuses.

If you want to melee then go plain Ranger > Cleric.

Oh right, and the missile bonuses also apply to energy blades too.
    Southpaw said:

Hm...no.
    In my opinion, unless you want to specialize in sneaking (and thus a Stalker would come into mind) or Archery (Archer kit), the ranger is inferior to a normal Fighter.
    The minor druid spells do not make any real difference and if you strap your Ranger into heavy armor, he can't sneak.
    Which effectively makes him a Fighter, but without GrandMastery in weapons.

Also a pure ranger has higher XP requirements per level than a fighter, and for what, 3 levels of measly druid spells, and no grandmastery?

Stalker or Archer are the only rangers worth playing, otherwise a plain fighter is much better. Not that Stalkers and Archers are that strong either, but at least they get some decent bonuses to either backstabbing or ranged.

Yeah, I've tried the combo before because I wanted to abuse Energy Blades but I'm not convinced it's worth it. Slings really don't do much damage compared to an archer with a bow, though it might have changed a bit if there are strength bonuses. And the more party members you can use as front liners the better. Turning your awesome warrior cleric into a sissy back liner is lame.
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't say plain fighter is better. Rangers are better at defense compared to pure fighters because rangers get Armor of Faith, fighters are better at offense because they get grandmastery.
    I'm not surprised slings aren't doing a lot of damage, primarily because of their APR limitations. APR is the single biggest contributor to damage, and I don't believe there are any slings with APR bonuses. What are the base APR for slings anyway? Same as bows (2)?
    1 APR. They're pretty bad :( They don't get any fancy ammo either.
    edited November 2013
    elminster said:

I wouldn't say plain fighter is better. Rangers are better at defense compared to pure fighters because rangers get Armor of Faith, fighters are better at offense because they get grandmastery.

I wouldnt say armor of faith is better compared to grandmastery and faster levelling.
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

elminster said:

I wouldnt say armor of faith is better compared to grandmastery and faster levelling.
    For defensive reasons sure it is. Faster levelling is nice because it means you get to level 13 (1/2 apr) a lot sooner, but after that point its really not all that significant since its not going to let you get to the 3 million xp (needed for higher level abilities) any sooner. Once you hit level level 10 as a ranger you have 15% damage reduction against basically any type of damage.
    But a paladin can do that too, and has lots more benefits than a ranger.
    Mungri said:

But a paladin can do that too, and has lots more benefits than a ranger.

Ok so a paladin or a ranger are better than a pure fighter when it comes specifically to defensive benefits thanks to Armor of Faith.
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Um, I'm playing through BG2EE with an archer right now and I can tell you that it's somewhat rough going, since everything seems to be immune to ranged attacks. I wouldn't call archers a "great" kit for BG2, they're just ok. Now, when they can actually hit, they do massive amounts of damage. But it's not like BG1 where they were damage gods throughout the entire game.
    So why would you play a ranger over a paladin then?
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260

I think ranger is one of the few classes where the non kitted class is actually worth while. If you don't want to specialize in archery or sneaking, the vanilla ranger is the best choice. I'm not even going to mention the beastmaster kit ;)

Just a slight hijack, I wish the same could be said about bards.

Rolling a vanilla bard would be solely for RP purposes. A Skald is far superior, only it doesn't fit the ward of Gorion. Their song is not only a maaaaasive combat boost for the entire party, but also eventually matches and surpasses the original bard 's song effect gaining additional immunity to stun etc.

I'm actually quite bitter about this

Sorry, I know this thread is about rangers
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

So why would you play a ranger over a paladin then?

Start out bgee with ** in two-weapon style on top of the other four proficiency points, get more choice over your alignment, get a favoured enemy, get a bonus to attacking from stealth (not sure why you would take away your plate armor for this but whatever), Moon Dog Figurine (whose Howl I believe allows for no saving throw and bypasses resistances), RP reasons.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    And stronghold preference, for some.
    edited November 2013
    (deleted)
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    dueling to a cleric gets you iron skins, which makes you an absolute beast of a tank, on a par with fighter/mage. Though i do regard this as cheesy, since i don't think a ranger -> cleric should have access to druid spells above the level of ranger that he duelled at.

Also, disappointed by the lack of minsc in this this. He's a straight class ranger who spends the entire game kicking ass and taking names. Dude never slacks, not even for a moment.