Skip to content

About difficulty and level up...

...i'm playng using the core rules, but i have reloaded already 15 times trying to maximize the HP. Something happen if before leveling up, i scale down the difficulty to maximize the hp gain and then put it back to core rules? :D

TY D

Comments

• NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Nothing at all. Switch difficulty at your will.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If u are asking 'would tweaking difficulty before level up mess up my game?'

The answer is 'no'. As far as I am aware.

Do I approve of save/loading? No. :P
  • VesimasVesimas Member Posts: 42

If u are asking 'would tweaking difficulty before level up mess up my game?'

The answer is 'no'. As far as I am aware.

Good was asking about that, thank you :D

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    One of those funny things, IWD had a separate switch so you could chose max hit points on level up apart from difficulty.
    And most PNP games I played in had some mechanism so you wouldn't get stuck with a horrible die roll.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Yeah, IWD did it much better. I always flip the difficulty before level up (when they still get full hp rolls), and then switch back. It's too hard (IMO) for a newer player to get stuck with the inevitable 1 or 2 hp that come with the natural rolls. Monsters doing full damage + characters with minimum hp = way too much frustration for any but the most veteran.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2013
    Something which would save you a lot of time ... there's a mod called the BG2 Tweak Pack which has a component called "Higher HP on Level Up". It basically does exactly what you're doing for you: it maximises the HP you get on levelling up no matter what difficulty setting you're playing on.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/

As far as I know, installing that one component won't have any negative effects on your current save games. I suggest downloading it, installing that component and then just playing on at your convenience.
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    I do the opposite, generally. I like to scribe scrolls automatically (a la the easier settings) but I like HP rolls to be random (a la the harder settings.) This leads to an annoying gaming experience.

I really wish this would be rectified already. Difficulty should only affect damage. That's it.

EVERYTHING else should be a "tick the box" option, from automatically scribing scrolls, to whether or not you want HP rolls to be random.

I've brought up this myself as a suggestion in the past. I've also seen it posted again and again on these forums, but never have I seen or heard any of the mods/devs respond to this matter. Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement, nor do I see a downside to it. By having these "tick the box" options, everyone gets to play the game the way they want to.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262

I've brought up this myself as a suggestion in the past. I've also seen it posted again and again on these forums, but never have I seen or heard any of the mods/devs respond to this matter. Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement, nor do I see a downside to it. By having these "tick the box" options, everyone gets to play the game the way they want to.

Given that IWD had maximum HP as a separate click box from difficulty slider, and it runs on the same engine, I think you are most likely right that it can't be that hard to implement.