Skip to content

Patch 1.2 and Bg 2 ee on Ubuntu with Intel gma950

Before patch 1.2 I used to run bg ee on ubuntu with wine and the baldur.ini tweak, and the performance was even better than the windows version. Since 1.2, and bg 2 ee the perfomance on ubuntu is so sluggish, that is is unplayable. Is there any workaround for this. I'm guessing that it is a mesa driver problem.

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    With the renderer update in 1.2 which carried into BG2, you're no longer using the original BG2 Renderer from 13 years ago, you're now using something more recent. A LOT of the original graphics tweaks (I think there was a setting in compatibility on Windows that fixed some largish problems) no longer work with the new Renderer.

While I have no idea, I would assume they're taking advantage of some of the more advanced features of the OpenGL engine in the new Renderer.

Without an NVIDIA or ATI card in your system to use the proprietary drivers, I'm not sure what to suggest to better your performance. I don't think Intel provides any closed source drivers for Linux (though admittedly I haven't checked...I tend to stay away from Intel cards when it comes to any attempt at gaming).

The next thing I'd try to get this working reasonably is something like VMWare or VirtualBox...the abstracted/tuned hardware drivers in the hypervisor might make this work better at this point.
  • ADR1975ADR1975 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am having an issue with BG2EE and WINE. I have an ACER Aspire One with Intel Chipset and BGEE works 100% great in WINE and Ubuntu 12.10. BG2EE on the other hand will load the game and I can see the UI and the character and background, but the mouse cannot click on anything and the screen goes black.

I added

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',

to buldar.ini in order to get the game to load. Is there anything else I need to do to the ini file to get BG2EE to run as good as BGEE.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    While I'm a long time Linux guy myself (it's my Day Job) I can't say I've any experience with BG:EE/BG2:EE and WINE at all. Obviously I should state that I do not believe WINE is officially a supported configuration for these games at this point. :)

Hopefully someone in the community here can help you with your settings, and if they do and/or you find something works, please do come back and post back here to help others.
  • dinindinin Member Posts: 11
    I guess that the problem is with the intel mesa 9.1.7 driver. Will try the game with another distro (possibly arch or fedora) but I have no hopes, because it looks like a video driver problem.
  • Raphite01Raphite01 Member Posts: 20
    Might it be related to this issue from the Mac forum? http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22944/game-freezes-after-last-update#latest
    Sounds like the same issue, so far I don't have a solution with WINE
    I confirmed its an Intel issue as I have a computer with Ubuntu and WINE with a Nvidia card and BG2EE runs awesome.