Skip to content

Problems with Voiced Lines in both BG:EE and BGII:EE

This is a problem I've encountered in both BG:EE and BGII:EE, but I've only seen a couple of threads on the subject, from nearly a year ago, and which received no response - hopefully I'll have better luck.

I've been experiencing some problems when it comes to the volume levels of voices in-game, in several different ways, but I imagine they're all likely related.

1) First, scrolling interrupts command acknowledgements. When telling the PC or an NPC to move, they acknowledge verbally, but as soon as I scroll the view anywhere the volume of their response drops to near-zero - I can just barely make out their whisper. If I don't scroll the view, they say the full line at normal volume, the way one expects them to.

2) Sarevok's ambush of Gorion is another place where the problem has been very noticeable. Every single spoken line in that scene is at whisper-volume, from you and Gorion walking to Sarevok's "I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man..." Which makes the full-volume spell casting and combat that ensues seem extra loud by comparison. Likeiwse, while Gorion and you are standing at the Gates of Candlekeep, just before leaving, his voice volume is working normally.

3) I did a quick test in BGII:EE to see if this was a problem with just BG:EE or not - Irenicus, his Golem, and the promptly-disintegrated Shadow Thief all seemed to be going at normal volume, but Imoen's spoken lines when she frees you are also suffering from super-quiet voice levels. Once she joins you, her usual acknowledgements are at normal volume again.

Has anybody else noticed similar problems, or know of any solutions?

Comments

• CrackerJackCrackerJack Member Posts: 2
    Update: Alright, I've managed to correct the problem, though it briefly caused a new one - I switched my sound device from my Asus Xonar Phoebus card to the integrated Realtek HD Audio that came with the motherboard. This, however, caused Both BG:EE and BGII:EE to crash instantly upon clicking Play from the launcher, generating some unreadable (to me) .dmp files. Running the launchers again as Administrator got around *that* problem however, and now all the audio in the game is at the appropriate volume and doesn't chop itself off when you move the screen. Hope this information helps someone with similar problems and/or the devs squashing of bugs.