Skip to content

Game Crash While Quick Saving

AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
My game crashed when I tried to quick save in AR0327. When I next loaded up the quick save, it did load and everything seemed to be in order, except that the area I was in was reset. The enemies which I had killed earlier had respawned, as well as the containers that I had looted, and the fog of war was reset as well.

Comments

• mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    This has been a common, fairly crippling issue. The devs are working on a fix as we speak (if you look at around at the other threads, a number of people have had this issue).

One thing we've learned though is that the crash happens while saving, and that's what corrupts the .sav file (causing that info to reset). So, if you alternate between quicksaving and regular saving, at least if the game crashes you can just load the prior save and you won't have to backtrack too far to avoid having a full reset.

Also, two other things:
    -Even though it's PROBABLY not related, somebody mentioned turning off your antivirus software (as that might prevent the file saving
    -Did you pre-load the game? I did, and I have since reinstalled it. While I'm still doing the alternating-saves just in case, I haven't had any more crashes and I've been playing for a few hours. It could just be that reinstalling will fix the problem for you. You can keep your save files when you do this.
  • johang88johang88 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    I got the same bug, unfortunately I had overwritten both the autosave and my backup save before I realized how serious this issue was.

It looks like all map/quest state is corrupted although the game works. The world map is also completely reset. I got this issue while in the second level of the spellhold.

I completed the spellhold levels after the corruption up until I have to kill Lonk the sane. Irenicus appears while I do this, putting me to sleep and starting the process of stealing my soul again. This shows how completely screwed up the save game is.

As of right now it looks like my character is beyond saving. I'm not sure what would happen when I return to Athkalta if I were to continue playing. Would I have to the whole of act 2-4 again or would it be enough to just to reenter the slums in order to unlock the areas on the world map?

All in all, this bug sucks =/
  • johang88johang88 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    I tried completing spellhold again just to see what happens :) I got stuck, guess I might be able to continue if I were to change area using the ingame console ...

Hey Imoen, you're not supposed to here ?
    http://imgldr.net/view/101.png

Did not have to fight a single enemy through the entire dungeon. I suppose that is because I put the crystal and the hand in the mouth after the corruption. My journey came to an abrupt end shortly after however as the apparition did not wish to speak to me.
    http://imgldr.net/view/100.png

• RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I ran into this last night -- same symptoms. However, the game was already showing trouble when I hit "Q" (which is why I did it, in fact, because it looked like it was going to crash -- I wish I had just let it crash and so just lose 5 minutes of play instead of 90). The problem was seemingly GC-related based on the symptoms (stuttering frames) and so I suspect a large memory leak in the GC. May be wrong, though -- hopefully our diligent devs can figure it out!
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    mforww said:

This has been a common, fairly crippling issue. The devs are working on a fix as we speak (if you look at around at the other threads, a number of people have had this issue).

One thing we've learned though is that the crash happens while saving, and that's what corrupts the .sav file (causing that info to reset). So, if you alternate between quicksaving and regular saving, at least if the game crashes you can just load the prior save and you won't have to backtrack too far to avoid having a full reset.

Also, two other things:
    -Even though it's PROBABLY not related, somebody mentioned turning off your antivirus software (as that might prevent the file saving
    -Did you pre-load the game? I did, and I have since reinstalled it. While I'm still doing the alternating-saves just in case, I haven't had any more crashes and I've been playing for a few hours. It could just be that reinstalling will fix the problem for you. You can keep your save files when you do this.

there might be problems with the preload?

tell me, are there any other bugs that have been fixed with a new install? do you still have respawning enemies after loads, characters disappearing upon exiting fog of war that should not disappear entirely?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    You guys are right. At first I thought the crash only rolled back the area I was in at the time ("cool, free XP"), but it has actually messed up my whole game. So I rolled back to a save I made about an hour earlier, which I luckily still had. I'm gonna start alternating saves from now on.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The good news here is that the memory leak is confirmed and well on it's way to being fixed. The devs are actively working tracking down exactly what is causing the issues as well as how to fix it.

Below are a couple threads to keep an eye on. The "game breaking bug" thread has the most up to date information on the state of the debugging effort (though it's going on in multiple threads) and the "likes to crash" thread has the most up to date information on what you can do to keep this problem from really affecting your game.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24200/pretty-serious-game-breaking-bug/p1
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24014/bg2-ee-likes-to-crash

Please help everyone here by passing along the information that the memory leak is a known issue and that it is ACTIVELY being worked to resolution by the development staff.