Skip to content

Minimum Hitpoints ONLY on level up

mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
Hope that you guys aren't getting too sick of me with this memory leak nonsense, but I thought I'd also point out in my game that I'm getting the absolute minimum hitpoints every time I level up. I'm playing on the core rules and I've tried quicksaving and re-leveling to see if I can get luckier hit dice, and all that happens is I can 1 + con bonus. That means Aerie is getting 1 hitpoint every time I level up, my main character (who is a Ranger) is only getting 3, etc.

Considering how hitpoints are more and more important the further in the game you go, this is going to make ToB a real B-word unless it gets fixed.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2013
    @mforww: What level are you leveling from/to? And on what class? If I remember by AD&D 2E rules correctly, beyond 10th level you no longer get the random hit points / level. At that point it's 1+con Bonus.

I believe this is working as intended / Core AD&D 2E Rules.

I tested 8th level -> 9th level on a Thief and random HP are being applied properly. On the other hand, constitution bonus post 10th level may not be...I'll have to see.
    Post edited by Illydth on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2013
    @mforww
    What level are you? Because after level 9 or 10 (depending on your class), you only gain +3 HP/level (warriors), +2 HP/level (rogue/priest), or + 1 HP/level (mage/sorcerer), and receive no extra HP from CON.
  • DoveDeDomoPhoenixDoveDeDomoPhoenix Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2013
    Are you over level 10? After level 10 you no longer roll a hit die on level up you get a set amount based on class without con bonus as per 2nd ed. rules. Warriors get 3hp, mages get 1hp et cetera.
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Oh wow, I'm a goofball. Like I said, it's been over a decade since I played BG2, so I haven't dealt with this issue in ages. That's the answer, sorry guy!! Not a bug.
    TJ_HookerCrevsDaak
    Confirmed from the original documentation: Characters stop getting random Hit Dice HP after 10th level.

That said, I am currently tracking a bug on level up past 10th level that only gives base HP (1 for mages, thieves, 3 for warriors, etc.) and does not give constitution bonus HP.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Illydth said:

Confirmed from the original documentation: Characters stop getting random Hit Dice HP after 10th level.

That said, I am currently tracking a bug on level up past 10th level that only gives base HP (1 for mages, thieves, 3 for warriors, etc.) and does not give constitution bonus HP.

as others have stated, that is as intended. con bonuses and hit dice rolls last until level 10, then you get a set amount based on class
    DoveDeDomoPhoenix
  • DoveDeDomoPhoenixDoveDeDomoPhoenix Member Posts: 18
    Illydth, to confirm with ChildofBhaal 2nd ed. rules state that the constitution modifier is applied to "hit dice." Since you cease gaining hit dice you should no longer be receiving the constitution modifier either.
    Yes, I've confirmed this among multiple Devs as well. HP gains Post Level 10 are working correctly and as intended for all classes. :)
  • shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    Ok I am mage, so I will only be getting 1 hp every level now since I am lvel 10 atm?