Skip to content

Is BG2:EE Accessible to New Players?

PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
Ok, so there's this article that was posted in the BG2:EE reviews thread:

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review

While the author clearly didn't put in near the effort that a game reviewer should, I wonder how many casual players who just come across BG2:EE on Steam or in the App Store are going to adapt if they've never played before.

It's easy to direct people to the manuals, but a lot of new players aren't even going to know that they exist since they no longer come with the game (at least BG1:EE had a tutorial). As a fan of BG2:EE and of Beamdog, I want to see the game attract and hold new players - is there anything the devs can do to help newbies with the learning curve? Have manuals accessible through gameplay options maybe, or create a tutorial level? I'll put any constructive ideas, feasible or not, here in the OP.

Thanks to everybody for their input! Ideas so far:

An in-game bestiary, accessible via journal/options

Optional pop-up tutorials to inform players about mechanics like level drain and weapon immunities

In depth "how to play" videos that get into the intricacies of THAC0 and Magic

A playable tutorial, possibly reflecting several levels of gameplay (high-level magic duels, for instance)

An in-game version of the Manuals that can be accessed via the UI

Showing the effects of stat rolls at character creation

A lore encyclopedia/codex that fills with content as you read in-game books

AoE Blast Markers, tied to game difficulty

Displaying Magical effects (eg "spell x blocked by protection y" or "protection z dispelled") in the text log

Anything else? :)
Post edited by Purudaya on

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013

LOL, I suppose, but this problem stands even in BG1. Yeah, it has a tutorial, but not one that gets into the mechanics of AC, THAC0, MR, etc. It wasn't enough for me in 1998 (granted, I was 12), and I doubt it's going to be enough to acquaint new players (who are used to having their hands held) with this complex game.

A simple way for people to access the manuals (or an approximation thereof) from within the game would be a big help imho.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, a quick way to click on (for example) thac0 and jump to the manual's explanation would solve a lot of these issues.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

I jumped straight into BG2 back in the day. It wasn't a bad time since I certainly had fun, but I had no idea what I was doing. It has a strange difficulty curve in that it's incredibly difficult when you're noob yet easily exploitable once you become familiar with the game.

• EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    I too jumped straight into BG2, and found it both very entertaining and very difficult. The first chapter is in many ways a large tutorial, and then the game sort of suggests a few appropriate quests for you, but if you insist on doing things your own way it can get very difficult very quickly.

Also, I suppose it is a good idea to use a premade character the first time, and take all the help you can get NPC-wise.

It's not accessible in the way that e.g. Dragon Age is, but the replayability is insane, and definitely worth the investment!
  • TeleronTeleron Member Posts: 25
    It's not undoable. You know the classic roles, you learn your tools of your trade and after some try and error you will realise what the numbers mean. You will adapt and you will be victorious.

But it's more difficult to jump into BG2 simply because it was designed for people already knowing the basics. So if one of your first enemys is a gibbering in BG1, it's not that challenging as facing an Iron Golem in BG2 for one of the first quests. If you were a BG1 user, you would already know that you would not be able to tickle them to death by means of piercing weapons. And that useful weapons against him need an enchantment to work on them. Once you got that, you see the enchantment with a glance and know instictivly that you should fight or flee. Even without the knowledge, as soon as the feedback "weapons ineffectice" start floating around, you know you are in trouble - that much has nothing to do with the prequel.

So yes, it will work, but the learning curve is higher if you skip BG1. On the other hand, if you are regularly play RPGs some elements will be similar, so it's up to you.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    It's easy to direct people to the manuals, but a lot of new players aren't even going to know that they exist
    There is always a manual, and it's mentioned on the store page iirc. If not adding a "manual" button to the launcher should be trivial.

It seems to me that the reviewer would have had much more fun if he had looked at the manual or, indeed, read a single line of dialogue in the game (hint: the characters you know nothing about introduce themselves the first time you talk to them).
    Also, it doesn't seem like he's played many games recently (e.g. XCOM has plenty if soldiers trading blows and missing at point blank range)
    If you were a BG1 user, you would already know that you would not be able to tickle them to death by means of piercing weapons. And that useful weapons against him need an enchantment to work on them
    And you'd happily attack with measly ineffective +1 weapons because BG1 didn't have enchantment levels.

At the end of the day, BG is very very hard - there are loads of encounters that are completely unwinnable unless you have prepared specific counters beforehand - at least compared to modern games (e.g. in DA you can keep playing if the protagonist dies as long as you win the fight, and no more shattering party members) and thus reviews like that are hardly surprising.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited November 2013
    I went straight to BG2 back in 2000 or whenever it was. It was difficult in the beginning and it took me a while to realize certain things (like the use of the TAB key), but it was still by far the best game ever.

After that, I tried BG1 and noticed it was rubbish. Way too much aimless wondering around. Still haven't found any time for that game...
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Yeah started from BG2 when i was 12 in 2000, played it on easy with Barb 2 handed sword all mages had offensive damage dealing spells didnt use buffs, though monster summoning 3 and fireball was the baddest spell in the game. It was manageable. I noticed that my style of play changed over the years i no longer prefer straight on fighter now its rather stealth or magic supported combat (i have yet to solo with a sorcerer)
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    BG2:EE is harsh on old players too, we rush into the new NPCs' quests like when our first party thought this offer Lord Jierdan Firkraag had for us sounded like an appropriate level 9 adventure.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    If I beat BG1 when I was 11, how come grown men today cant understand how to play BG2?

Oh right wait, those are also the grown men that 11 year old me would have absolutely slaughtered in a game of chess.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2013
    Just another casual nerd that wants his fast-food, hand holding instant gratification, nothing too surprising here.

To answer your question OP, BG2 is accessible to newcomers, as long as they have an open mind and are willing to learn a few things.

I've recently had the following ideas for an RPG type thing:

Opening quest - Old wise man give you a wooden sword. He asks you to go kill a nearby monster. Said monster is a level 100 tanarii or equivalent end game beasts that rips you to shreds as soon as you spot it. The quest of course is optional and can be completed towards the end game, at which point it rewards with 1 XP, and the Old wise man complains about how long it took you to kill it.

Early quest - Kill 10 rats. Except the rats are giant powerful mutant rats that rip you to shreds as above.

An opening tutorial - kill an easy monster. It drops an epic legendary uber wtfpwnbbq super duper weapon. Next part of the tutorial - 'Now learn how to use the storage!' This part cannot be skipped, you have to deposit the uber weapon in the chest .... Game errors, and crashes to log in screen with all garbly images, reloads where you just were, and then the npc says something like 'Whoah, what just happened? I think the world just crashed (or something), oh no, that chest where you placed your weapon, it was destroyed along with the weapon. Too bad.
    Mungri said:

An opening tutorial - kill an easy monster. It drops an epic legendary uber wtfpwnbbq super duper weapon. Next part of the tutorial - 'Now learn how to use the storage!' This part cannot be skipped, you have to deposit the uber weapon in the chest .... Game errors, and crashes to log in screen with all garbly images, reloads where you just were, and then the npc says something like 'Whoah, what just happened? I think the world just crashed (or something), oh no, that chest where you placed your weapon, it was destroyed along with the weapon. Too bad.

I played a game with almost exactly this quest. You retrieve an incredible god mode sword with a level requirement of 100. The next part involves the blacksmith teaching you how to break down weapons at the forge to extract essences. You break down the sword and he reforges it for you into a level 1 poking stick.
    Please tell me what game that was!
    It was one of those MMO clones. I think it was Dragon Nest?
    Oh nvm, I dont play those MMO clones. Theres way too many of them, and downloading takes too long.

The last one I tried was Neverwinter. Like OMG WTH did they do to D&D???

Path of Exile is good though, cos its top down fixed camera and what Diablo 3 should have been.
    Yeah, I played Path of Exile for a long time and it is a fun game. I took a break to play... Baldur's Gate!

My true love lies here, with turn-based and tactical games. Grindy games are addictive but they wear on you after a while.
    Not played PoE since BG2EE.
    So... last week? :D
    edited November 2013
    FFG said:

Just another casual nerd that wants his fast-food, hand holding instant gratification, nothing too surprising here.

To answer your question OP, BG2 is accessible to newcomers, as long as they have an open mind and are willing to learn a few things.

I agree with that, but I would like to see the tools for that learning be more consolidated and easier to access. Just adding a few more detailed sections to the well-done but quite basic "how to play" videos might be enough. But as it stands, it's not too hard to picture scenarios where people brand new to the game might get frustrated and give it poor word of mouth.

Again, I could be wrong and the sales/renewed interest has gone beyond what the devs expected. I just want to see new people recommending this game because (1) BG2 deserves it, and (2) because I want there to be funding for future content : )
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I can tell you that we do have plans for more tutorial videos. Which aspects of gameplay do you feel need greater explanation?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Dee You shouldn't be asking that here, where it seems most are already familiar with the rules/gameplay. Maybe there's more new players over at Steam?

@Dee You shouldn't be asking that here, where it seems most are already familiar with the rules/gameplay. Maybe there's more new players over at Steam?

True, but players here were new players once and will remember what information helped them most when starting out.

I remember playing and getting hit with confusion spells and having no clue what buffs defended properly against them (even with reading the descriptions). I remember wondering why I couldn't hit anything in BG1 and thought that a note in character creation that "level 1 characters are extremely fragile and should approach encounters cautiously" would have done much in acknowledging to the player that it's normal to be having a hard time early on (I used to wonder what I was doing wrong).

For the tutorial videos, I think it would help players to have armor class explained ("some classes can only wear certain armor or no armor at all, so keep this in mind when creating a character"), THAC0 explained in less than 5 sentences, magic attacks and defenses, etc. For instance, I don't know how many new players I've seen ask, "how does backstab work, do I have to be behind them?" on these forums. Basically focus on what's in the manual, just boiled down to the crucial elements.

What would be REALLY awesome would be in game pop-ups that could be turned on/off in the options menu. Ex: "You have been level drained! You will need to cast Restoration to regain your lost levels," or even "One of your party members has died; take them to the nearest temple to have them brought back," each with a "don't show again" button or something. It might seem foreign to veteran players, but I bet it could really help people out if there was a way to script this in.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Those pop ups sound really great for new players.
    edited November 2013
    Because being able to read a manual makes someone elitist. Ok.

I disagree with having tutorial videos, there are thousands of lets play videos of this game on youtube already that any new player can look up.

[quote] I know experienced D&D players probably already know 'Greater Wolfweres are immune to all weapons under +4 [/quote]

You know what? The first time everyone fought them, they had no clue. Thats the whole point that you figure it out and learn from playing, why do you need your hand held through every minor thing and why does anyone else need to tell you how to play?

Your first playthrough, you learn the basics. Your second you get better. Your third through to 100+ you pwn. Why do you want everything to be spoiled on your very first playthough?

In a real PnP D&D game, no one would be holding your hand, you would be learning everything yourself while being at the mercy of the DM.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Mungri said:

Because being able to read a manual makes someone elitist. Ok.

I disagree with having tutorial videos, there are thousands of lets play videos of this game on youtube already that any new player can look up.

No, but deriding everyone who might struggle with BG 2, and imply that they are stupid, is elitist.

Let's Plays have the same problem as walkthroughs. Spoilers! This is an RPG, the story is half the game. If I was stuck on say the Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower... how do I check a LP or walkthrough without being sure I won't spoiler the Aec'Letec surprise when I get back to Ulgoth's Beard? Or more specifically the assassins about to ambush me the second I return. The only solution I can see is asking on forums... but not everyone is gonna find this forum, and not everyone is going to bother investing so much effort to learn to play a game.

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I find BG2 more easy to get into as a new player than BG1 is... Since you're not starting at level 1, stuff like wolves and goblins are no longer a serious threat.

"Beginning a game by creating a character offers a ton of options with classes and aliments. Far too many options."

Welcome to D&D mr. reviewer... and just remember every one of those classes has a purpose.

"The game starts with you imprisoned in a dungeon and being tortured. Why is this happening? Who are these other adventurers? Those are good questions of which I cannot provide the answer. If I had played the first game perhaps I would give a shit, but for someone who is going in blind, this is not a good beginning."

Well, I'll give him a pass for not knowing anything about Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira at the start and the dungeon does kind of come out of nowhere... But he could've watched the intro cutscene when selecting Shadows of Amn at the start of the game... That summarizes the plot of BG1 and pretty much.

"The combat is also a complete mess. I don’t know if this version is more difficult than the original but I was unaware that RPG’s featured character’s standing there and constantly missing attacks on an enemy. There are plenty of encounters that boiled down to clicking on an opponent and just watching everyone miss each other for what felt like minutes. Trying to look through the stats of your character doesn’t mean anything to if you’re not familiar with the rule set. Why does the armor number go down? What the fuck does THACO mean?"

Characters attack animations play a lot faster than they actually attack, this does kind of make them look like they miss alot more than they actually do... THAC0, with a 0, not an o, To Hit Armor Class 0. It's simple math once you know how to read it and EE made it a lot easier to do so.

"Also, how the hell does magic work? I eventually figured out resting gives you your spells back, but it took far too long." Magic works by being goddamn powerful and getting balanced by being on a spells per day basis for casting.

It takes a bit to get used to all the game mechanics maybe, but BG2 is still easier to jump into than BG1 was... Only thing really that is there is not knowing any of the characters from BG1 that have cameo appearances and the ones that can join your party.