Skip to content

Chapter 3 doesn't trigger properly if Mulay is killed outside of his lair (0824)

KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
edited September 2012 in Fixed
It is possible to miss the chapter transition when: a) the player confronts Mulahey; b) Mulahey suffers morale failure and flees his cave; c) the player retrieves the incriminating documents from Mulahey's chest; d) the player then exits Mulahey's cave and dispatches him in the area outside of it.

---

Added chapter transition scripting to AR5404.BAF

(Originally found and fixed in EasyTutu)
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    What was the new chapter transition scripting? Did it trigger with opening the chest/ picking up the documents instead? Not sure what to confirm.
  • KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    It was a new block of code in the area script outside of his lair, just in case you killed him out there.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited June 2012
    Ah I didn't see this thread. Well this is not working for me. Check this thread were I posted originally.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/479/bug-mulahey#latest
    CameronTofer
    Ah, I see. I will explore this issue further.
    edited June 2012
    I think I've got this. I've made sure that as long as the player has picked up the proper note in Mulahey's chest, the chapter will transition no matter what when the player leaves his cave. Kind of a catch all, just in case the other conditionals fail.

Originally, you needed to have both the note in your party inventory and Mulahey had to be dead.
    edited June 2012
    Odd, I did this a couple times- both times worked ok for me. Maybe because I had the notes on me.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @KeithS

Your new system is working, but it also introduces another problem:

With this system you can loot his chest and run away and get the chapter transition without killing Mulahey, which basically means that the initial sentence in the cutscene "it is certain that the death of Mulahey (...)" wouldn't make sense.

Would it be possible for the chest to only be unlockable if Mulahey is dead? Like you'd need a key on Mulahey's body to be able to open his chest (I think his Holy Symbol would work maybe).
    BhryaenSyntia13
    @Tanthalas
    Yes, I've a number of times almost suggested making it possible to get to the next chapter without killing Mulahey... but then, like you said, the narration opens with Mulahey dying, so... I agree that in order to ensure Mulahey dies, put a non-pickpocketable key on him for the chest. Then maybe where he dies is irrelevant since you can't get to the papers in the chest except through killing him anyway. Definitely heavy-handed, but with the narration there's not a lot of leeway.
    SethDavis
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    "The mechanism that operates this does not have a conventional lock, and may be warded against simple spells." ;)
    Bhryaen
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited July 2012
    Maybe I don't understand this... but what was wrong with the original script?

IF
    PartyHasItem("SCRL2V") // Letter
    Global("CHAPTER","GLOBAL",2)
    Dead("Mulahey")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    IncrementChapter("Chptxt3")
    AddJournalEntry(15837,USER)
    END
    So long as the Death Variable exactly matches the script it should work. I would personally lower case all of Mulahey in both the script and the MULAHE.cre to be on the safe side.

Edit: If you put that block in both area scripts I dont see the problem
    @Cuv Oh, the issue was you could take the item (SCRL2V) from the chest without killing Mulahey and then leave the area, thus never triggering the chapter increment.
    Ah right... but the original script does take his death into account. Or is that what wasnt working? I can fix that.
    @Cuv It did take his death into account, but only in his lair (AR5405). I just added some safety script (so to speak) to the area just outside (AR5404) to make sure that the chapter transitions no matter what, as long as the player has the incriminating scroll.
    ah, alright! Sorry to distract you:-)
    No worries :)
    @KeithS
    The trouble with that solution is primarily that then you can get Chap 2 without killing Mulahey while the Chapt 2 narration states at the outset "With the death of Mulahey." That's why I'd say going with what @Balquo and @Tanthalas mentioned above- locking the chest with the "Mechanism that operates this..." script, key it to Mulahey's holy symbol, and make the holy symbol (MISC85) not pickpocketable.

Another issue with the AR5404 fix in place is that you can lure Mulahey back to any area you want and get the same problem. I just lured him to AR5403 with SCRL2V in possession- no Chap 3 trigger. I can imagine some players fleeing him to get away from his 2nd kobold/ skel spawn. But then I could lure him back to AR5402 and back infinitely if I wanted, so you'd have to edit nearly all the 5400-connected areas (and 5500).
    @Bhryaen I agree, that's probably the best fix to the problem. I've made a note of this one to make sure that I deal with it before the next beta release.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited July 2012
    Okay, this is verified fixed on our end and should make it into the next build (moving to found and fixed). Here's what's been done by @KeithS:

-Mulahey and his guards will stay inside his Cavern (which will ensure that you can't drag Mulahey away or kite him somewhere else)
    -The scrolls are no longer in the chest, instead they're on Mulahey's person, and are not pickpocketable.

So, this ensures that when the player picks up the scrolls the chapter will transition and all will be well and in line with the narration for the next chapter.

From a story/reasoning standpoint, I'm personally on board with this as well - it makes Mulahey seem a little more devious ("Sure, they're right over there in my chest! Go for it! I swear I won't summon a million guards!") and in line with the idea that a bad guy worth his salt might try and keep incriminating evidence some place safer than an unlocked chest.
    Avenger_teambgBhryaen
    That's actually a pretty clean and simple fix.
    Confirmed Fixed:
    Pickpocketed his holy symbol and Ring of Holiness, but couldn't nab the scrolls. Also verified what @Nathan said about Mulahey saying the scrolls are in the chest. That looks like a bug from the original BG1 design, but it works from the new BGEE approach. :-)

But...

Confirmed Not Fixed:
    Getting both scrolls in inventory after killing Mulahey right in AR5405 didn't trigger Chap 3. :-( Nor did leaving AR5405 to enter AR5404.

Oh, wait, maybe it's OK. I had CLUA'd straight to AR5403 rather than going to Nashkel, so I wasn't on Chap 2 first. Mind you, it should probably have worked anyway, but after advancing to Chap 2 before killing Mulahey, it does work. Mulahey no longer chases [PC] through the door into AR5404, however, so I suppose that's been resolved as well. BG2 transition following is such a bother! Of course, you can now lure Mulahey to the door and use the usual BG1 in-and-out exploit on him, but it does look right that the otherwise in-hiding halforc doesn't just chase you through all area transitions right up to level one in front of Amnish guards and miners...

What's definitely different is the Chap 2 trigger... I hope no one listened to me and changed the trigger from arriving in Nashkel- bad idea of mine... I CLUA'd to Nashkel and arrived by area transition from AR4300- no Chap 2 notice. No Chap 2 notice arriving at the mines (AR5400) either though. I ended up using the Chapter-advancement CLUA to get to Chap 2 instead.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Ok, so this is confirmed fixed. But there are still quirks about chapter 2 trigger.
    One shouldn't be able to pass the mine entrance without triggering chapter 2!
    The guards should simply tell you to ask for permission of Emerson.
    And Emerson should tell you to ask for permission from the Major.
    It is just too easy to skip the command chain and storm right into the mines.
    @Avenger_teambg
    Yeah, the Chap 2 trigger and entrance to the mines have been mentioned in two separate threads (one mine), so I'll leave off from that one here. Did you confirm being able to get to Mulahey and trigger Chap 3 by killing/ taking scrolls? I did it twice, but still... can't kill Mulahey enough- not even in dreams. ;-)
    @Bhryaen

I had checked this one yesterday actually, but forgot to mention it.

I was actually just there to check if the Moonblade had flames.
    BhryaenAvenger_teambg
    Yeah, Mulahey dies nicely, i would have reported if not :) My only problem is the mine entrance from this quest... ahh and some of the journal entries (reported elsewhere)
    edited August 2012
    Erm...

Discovered a new issue with this fix... The only way you get the Chap 3 trigger is if you're on the main screen with the note in your inventory. So if a player stands on Mulahey's corpse, goes to inventory, puts the notes in inventory, reads them, gets the info, decides they're not worth taking with them, puts them back on the ground, and leaves the inventory screen... No Chap 3 trigger- even after having read the notes in entirety.

Is there some way to set a variable from simply having had an item in inventory? Or perhaps better by opening the letter to read it? Or opening and closing it?
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
    Tanthalas
    Damn, there's no end to this one.

Summoning @KeithS
    @Bhryaen I'll need to investigate this new issue further. Added back to the list...
    Bhryaen said:

Is there some way to set a variable from simply having had an item in inventory? Or perhaps better by opening the letter to read it?

Not with the current engine, but this is a worthy feature request. You could set a variable when equipping an item, but not by reading it.Not with the current engine, but this is a worthy
    Bhryaen
    edited August 2012
    Ok, I think I've fixed this in two parts.

In AR5405.BAF

IF
    Global("CH3_TRIGGER","AR5405",0)
    OR(2)
    Dead("Mulahey")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("CH3_TRIGGER","AR5405",1) // If Mulahey is dead or the scroll has been picked up set a variable.
    END

IF
    Global("CH3_TRIGGER","AR5405",1)
    PartyHasItem("SCRL2V") // If the party has the item in their inventory in AR5405, trigger chapter 3 right away
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    AddJournalEntry(15837,QUEST_DONE)
    END
    In AR5404.BAF (safety script if the player leaves without grabbing the scroll)

IF
    Global("CH3_TRIGGER","AR5405",1) // If the variable has been set in the previous area
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    END

IF
    Global("CHAPTER","GLOBAL",2) // If all else fails, I guess :)
    OR(2)
    Dead("Mulahey")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    END

Confirmed fixed.