Skip to content

Where can I find a good archer on BGII EE?

I finished the old game twice, but never did much explore.

I want to try an archer. What NPC is the best one, and where can I find him?

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Not really any archer NPCs in the game.

Best way to experience this is by making your own elf Archer with 19 dex and grandmastery in longbows, they end up with -20 thaco or less, but they cant hit much in the end game.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    There isn't an "Archer" as such.
    Minsc and Valygar are the closest things you would get to an Archer (both being rangers).

I've found that Hexxat with her high Dex is quite potent - after investing a proficiency point.

If you want an Archer you are going to have to make your own. Or there probably is a Mod that adds an Archer Kitted NPC into the game.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Character creation screen.
    If I knew how to mod in NPCs, I'd make an archer and assassin NPC. I had the idea all planned out, like a NG Archer and CE Assassin that just hate each other and are after each others death, and you have to choose to side with one and such stuff.

If only.
    Mungri said:

If I knew how to mod in NPCs, I'd make an archer and assassin NPC. I had the idea all planned out, like a NG Archer and CE Assassin that just hate each other and are after each others death, and you have to choose to side with one and such stuff.

If only.

There are some guides kicking around - I think on G3 has the most comprehensive one.
    Although it is incredibly arduous and bothersome - rewarding nonetheless. I got stuck trying to randomize my banters. Quest writing is a whole load of nope.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Mungri said:

If only.

Multiplayer game (with just yourself) and just a dash of (in)voluntary schizophrenia and you're golden :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2013
    As opposed to voluntary schizophrenia? :P
    Varwulf said:

Mungri said:

If only.

Multiplayer game (with just yourself) and just a dash of (in)voluntary schizophrenia and you're golden :)
    He might fall in love with himself if he isn't too careful.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Mazzy. She is fighter with grandmastery knowledge of short bow. What more can anyone possibly ask for? Plus she is very likeable character. Bonus to saving throws for being hafling is also handy.
    I already play multiplayer games with custom characters, but I meant like making a full dialogue based mini quest.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @jackjack
    Personal preferences :P

@DetectiveMittens
    That could be a win/win for both of him :)
  • pkmnpkmn Member Posts: 22
    Certainly Mazzy. 18 dex and grandmastery in shortbows. She also has a nice ability to buff her strength to 18 and jump into the frontline if needed.
    Oh I didnt know that about Mazzy, she would be great then, especially with the Tugian shortbow.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Mazzy, Hexxat, and Jan are all reasonably capable ranged combatants.
    TBH no rogue would compare to a grandmastered ranged weapon for the OP's requirement. They miss all the time.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Is there a reason (lorewise) why Kivan does not appear on BG2?
  • notbatmannotbatman Member Posts: 11
    I always turn nalia into an archer. shrug
    edited November 2013

Probably not. The creators of the game have choosen different NPCs over him. But there is Kivan mod which you can download from G3 site. It is one of the few very good NPC mod. But it portrays Kivan as he was portrayed in BG1 NPC Project. The author of the mod and Kivan´s portion in NPC project is the same person.

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    notbatman said:

Give her the Tuigan bow and... well, it's the closest I come to having a decent archer.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    velehal said:

Probably not. The creators of the game have choosen different NPCs over him. But there is Kivan mod which you can download from G3 site. It is one of the few very good NPC mod. But it portrays Kivan as he was portrayed in BG1 NPC Project. The author of the mod and Kivan´s portion in NPC project is the same person.

Can you tell me if this mod is compatible with BGII EE?
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1
    It seems to be an "in progress" mod right now for compatibility.

Can you tell me if this mod is compatible with BGII EE?

Not yet. But they are working on it.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    Akihiko said:

notbatman said:

Give her the Tuigan bow and... well, it's the closest I come to having a decent archer.
    There are people who use bows, and then there are archers. My first playthrough I had my thief, Imoen, and Nalia all using bows, but Mazzy's an archer. So is my current PC. There's just no comparison.

That said, although Mazzy is terrific, being limited to shortbows somewhat nerfs your potential for ranged damage. Obviously the best version of any class you could find is a self-created one, but with some (ie. wizard and thief) there are NPCs available who can perform just as well at the core tasks. With archers you really need to make your own to fully experience what an elf with a bow two feet taller than her can do.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    I used EE Keeper to turn Valygar into an archer, I got his level to 1 and all level 1 stats for Archers then I just gave him exp through the console to get him back to his old level, he turns out pretty good.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Minsc can do fairly well as an archer. He starts with two profs in Longbow and has the str to equip the Composite for extra damage. Valygar will do in a pinch, although his str limits him to the Elven Court Bow. Just because they seem to be designed for two-handed swords or dual wielding respectively doesn't mean they can't make solid ranged attackers.

The main difference between Minsc/Valygar as archers vs. say Nalia or Yoshimo is the THAC0 and number of attacks per round. Much better chance to hit, many more arrows to pincushion your foe.

Mazzy of course is the best with five profs in shortbow, but you can't get her quite as quickly/easily as the other two.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Mazzy is the best ranged NPC in the game. She gets 5 apr with Tuigan.
    Really? I always assumed by it's description that Tuigan sets apr at a flat 3, regardless of proficiencies. Good to know.
    Not to mention that short bows are probably the best range weapons in BG2. Tuigan and Gesen.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    Two things:

1) Talk to the kid in the government district and you can get Mazzy very quickly. Nothing you face in the area outside the temple ruins is especially challenging, and you find her soon after entering. You'll just have to leave and come back later if you're not too strong yet.

2) Shortbows offer the best combination of convenience and strength, but a composite longbow will still be the most powerful ranged weapon. You just need somebody who can fire one.