Skip to content

[possible DLCs] Cover the events between BG1 and BG2, and between SoA and ToB

charmercharmer Member Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I believe the whole Enhanced Edition idea presents a great opportunity to fill in the blanks regarding the events that took place after the battle with Sarevok until the capture by Irenicus and again between the fall of Irenicus and the start of Bhaalspawn wars.

It's been a long time since I played BG last and I'm no expert on lore and storyline of the saga so I'm not sure if some detailed canon content already exists for these two periods or even how long these periods were but I think especially the first gap could give us more insights into the protagonist's story and Irenicus connection...

Regarding the second gap, from what I remember, the whole Bhallspawn war was thrown at us seemingly out of nowhere since other Bhaalspawn were not focused on that much until then.

Here are my random thoughts on the DLCs:

1) I wouldn't mind something quite short gameplay-wise, even mostly cutscene and non-interactive, as long as a worthwhile and meaningful story between the games is there.

2) Flawless transition into the DLCs with the old group of companions would be nice.

3) For the second gap, I'd maybe focus on the events outside the protagonist's reach since the whole plot could be as rich for them as for any other Bhaalspawn out there (or other actors). This approach could work for the first gap as well. You know, to live a part of the plot from someone else's perspective.

4) Also, I'd maybe try to push the limits of how IE games are played, i.e. to go mostly non-combat, exploration and puzzle-style.

Well, that's my rough idea. Please chip in.
Post edited by charmer on

Comments

• ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I agree with anything along these lines, happy for the DLC. Most of the responses talk about the added experience throwing the power curve off, but anything that involves the party is great. I'd throw the idea in about character "origin" stories - like what's-her-name-the bard? (name escapes me) in DA:O and the DLC I purchased. But for notable characters like Gorion, Sarevok, maybe even Irenicus. Sarevok might be out of the question though as the main part of his life seemed to be in Kara-Tur.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I wonder if Sarevok and Tamoko knew Yoshimo before, or only after he came to Amn.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I wonder if Sarevok and Tamoko knew Yoshimo before, or only after he came to Amn.
    I'm no expert on this, but don't think so - I found this thread here:
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=15793&st=30

That quotes David Gaider as saying:
    David Gaider:

"A Sarevok quest? Yeah, I would have liked to see Sarevok confronted with the idea that not only was he responsible for Tamoko's death (and delve more into that), but Yoshimo's as well (since Yoshimo came to this land looking for his sister after losing contact). Even a small quest to honor their deaths or something would have been cool."

So it seems unlikely.
    @Chippy Thank you! I had an idea on another thread that, since the CHARNAME's quest ends in TOB, that BG3 could sort of revisit that with a new character, who is the child of a Bhaalspawn, and people think that he or she is the child of the original CHARNAME, and shadowy forces are trying to set them up to take over and be an evil ruler. So the new CHARNAME has to find out who his or her parents really are/were and decide if they want to be used like that or chart their own destiny. And- shocker! The new CHARNAME is the child of Sarevok and Tamoko instead, which she hid from him because of his wanting to become a God (and later betrayal of her with Cythandria).

Ah, well, it's just an idea.
  • BavetteBavette Member Posts: 1
    I heard, and I have no idea if it's true, that BG3 is supposed to rely on one loose end of the BG spectrum; Cyric. He IS the new god of murder, so what happens now? I also heard of a title(?). Something on the lines of "The Black Hound" which, very conveniently, is the only thing that the Lying God fears. I think it was years later, after the Bhaalspawn Wars. With the rumors I found a picture, which I suspect of being heavily edited (I work with photoshop so I should know), but I never saw any confirmation or any piece of information that says this isn't only fanwankery.
    I might be able to post the picture somewhere if people is interested. Keep in mind I can't, for the best of my ability, confirm anything I said, but I can spread this rumored tale as any self-respected tale-teller would.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I had an idea for inter-story DLC, but in a different direction. What about a campaign where you play as Sarevok in between Gorion's raid on the temple of Bhall (where he rescued CHARNAME), through his time within the Iron Throne and ending with him killing Gorion outside Candlekeep.
    Likewise, a campaign as Bodhi and Jonaleth (not yet Irenicus) and their history in Suldanessellar before, during and after the ritual that got them banished; this campaign would conclude with a battle against CHARNAME, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Jahiera and Khalid.
    Finally, one where you would play as The Five and see how they eliminated all the Bhaalspawn not detailed in the story that they only talked about before.

These would give far less narrative freedom to the player than the main arc (for obvious reasons), but could still be worthwhile to fill in gaps in the story and possibly provide better motivation for the antagonists. As a bonus, since all of these characters already have portraits/paper dolls/animations already it may be doable with the assets in hand.

Have I totally lost it, or could there be something here?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You can read all that is known about "The Black Hound" on it's Wikipedia article. It doesn't appear to have been supposed to have much or any connection to the Bhaalspawn Saga.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I realy love Bodhi and welcome anything with her involved:)
    Bodhi wasn't always crazy evil after all. And didn't Jon say something about performing the ritual for her sake? Or am I just making that up because it's been too long since I got that far into BG2? Still, just shows the need for more clairification!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    She can be as evil as she wants, i attracts me even more hahaha
    Too bad her chronic betrayal syndrome always gets in the way.
    @kilroy_was_here But that ending would have Sarevok dying, and I don't think players would react very well at all to having to lose the battle at the end. They'll become invested in the character and want him to win, and the worst part is that they are locked into a path of doing only evil with no chance to change their mind or redemption because we know that both Sarevok and Jon Irenicus never repented their evil ways (at least, not Sarevok until he was resurrected by CHARNAME). I would not want to be forced to play someone evil and/or be stuck doing evil deeds because the story demanded that I be that was because that's how the characters went in the first two games.

That's why my idea was for a totally new character with links to Sarevok and Tamoko. It lets the player plot their own course without being held to being only evil. I mean, if you aren't directing the story- if it's a movie, you could do that. But me playing Jon Irenicus, deciding how to torture Imoen and my own CHARNAME? Uh, yeah, that's just not on. I don't want to do or play that. And I don't want to be Sarevok deciding to cheat on the love of my life just because she expresses dismay that I want to take over the throne of the dead God of Murder.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    @LadyRhian I would like to play in Sarevok's shoes, but with narrative freedom. Something like the Solar's "what if" scenario in ToB, swapping places. You start as CHARNAME, the adopted son of the cruel, petty, murderous Rieltar, and work to overthrow him (whether for good or evil reasons), and have to make decisions regarding the Iron Throne, the mercenaries (led by Sarevok) who are destroying its business and what to do when a man named Winski starts babbling about prophecies and dead Gods. I think it would be very interesting.

As for the OP, I agree, though I think it would be fun if you were allowed to continue playing BG1 after the death of Sarevok and Irenicus' abduction was a random encounter. Would add an element of unpredictability.
    edited August 2012
    Well, in my idea it wouldn't end with Sarevok dying, since it would end as BG1 really begins, with the death of Gorion. (I'm sure those two lvl1 mooks that escaped won't come back to cause any trouble later...) Sure we the player know that he dies eventually, but that's really metagame knowledge that doesn't necessarily have to ruin any fun to be had. Like any prequel, if written well enough it can stand on its own merits.

As far as the torture... there's really no need to get into that; better to have an epilogue, probably a conversation between Irenicus and Bodhi after CHARNAME and company are captured. I honestly hadn't even thought of your concern I when came up with my idea. Exactly what happened to poor Khalid and Dynaheir should probably be left unsaid.

I know that many would be reluctant to be 'forced' into doing evil things, but wouldn't filling in some of the blanks in the histories of BG villains help players understand how they became that way? As far as inserting more main story related playtime into the BG saga there probably isn't a richer vein to be mined.
    @kilroy_was_here I still think the "Sarevok/Jondalar's journey" works better as cutscenes rather than having the player play them out.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Maybe new arty cutscenes that have been mentioned.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I like the general idea posed by the thread's title, while I think the specifics would be better left to the developers. That being said, some continuity content would be great but I don't think a mostly non-interactive DLC would be received positively.

Remember the fat cursed spider woman in one of the forest maps? she ran afoul of Irenicus. That could be a potential thread to tie BG1 and BG2.
  • charmercharmer Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2012
    Of course. I just wanted to expand the idea beyond its title. I don't really have any strong opinions on how the DLCs should eventually look like. Like I said, I'm no expert on BG storyline and I was just brainstorming. I encourage others to do the same in this thread.

In the end, what matters most, is whether the idea sticks or not for development.

Cheers.
    Post edited by charmer on
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    as long as they're free, i always considered it an embarasment for the Dragon Age serious to have DLC's upon release,it's like an excuse to charge us for what should be implemented anyway.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2012
    I think most people would like something to cover the gap between the games. I think i whole new campaign where the pc is travelling to Amn to find more about his past from someone who claims to be/know a bhallspawn. With some a simple quest cain to help random village with random problem maybe involving Cyric trying to sabotage you. Then you finally get to Amn meet the guy/girl and then BAM!! in the cage. I would be more then happy to pay.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2012
    I support these ideas, 100%. Especially OP's #2 and #4 points. As I said before in this thread, I would gladly pay to patch up these gaps. It would add much more depth to the plot, and more replay value.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    this would make things make more sense.
    In the follow-up to the OP, I am adding more tidbits to consider:

5) Add one or more unique items to each of the DLCs that would be always class-specific to the protagonist character and for each class hidden at a different place in the DLC.

6) Integrate the DLCs fully with BGEE to create a true BG trilogy. That way, the DLCs could also be coupled with additional feature patches that would work throughout the game series, thus adding value to the game outside the DLC content.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @LadyRhian I love your idea, I had a similar idea in a different thread, but I don't know if Sarevok/Tamoko child would be a good idea, since it would force players to play as human, wouldn't it?

Back to the point though, there really does need to be some type of inclusion as to what happened in between the two games, especially if, as David Gaider says, Yoshimo IS Tamoko's brother, he's have been, not only responsible for bringing you to brynlaw, but also getting you captured in the first place.

I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but I would definitely pay for the in between parts explained, and be very happy if it's done seemlessly.

I WANT MY BG: CHAIN OF MEMORIES!!!
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I always thought it was odd starting BG2ToB in the wilderness walking into an ambush. Im not saying that scene shouldnt be there, but I wish I could be in Suldanessellar for awhile before starting. Maybe experience firsthand the mistrust that Im supposedly getting for being a Bhaalspawn?

On that note, I remember seeing someone in BG1 (Centeol i think) who mentioned "Jon Icarus". If that is meant to be Irenicus, then I was always curious as to what involvement (if any) he had around this time. Perhaps a DLC could elaborate on that?
    So, BGEE's release date has been pushed to the end of November. I'd speculate that there will be at least one more delay... The torrent of FRs is enormous. Let's hope that we could get some extra content after the battle with Sarevok right with the BGEE release.

Now, that would be neat and it would make sense too to tie things up like that right towards BG2EE.

Who's with me?
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    me!!!!
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Well, they already confirmed we get new 2d-drawn cinematics... I wouldn't be surprised to see some new wording on those that possibly makes both titles to connect better...