Skip to content

Marek charm dialogue doesn't work

AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
When I attempt to charm Marek (of the poisoning quest in NE Baldur's Gate), he either (if charmed before dialogue) gives his original dialogue anyway, or after giving his dialogue, he is unable to be conversed with, with the standard "You cannot initiate dialogue. Marek appears busy" denial.

Expected behaviour: Marek has unique charmed dialogue where he should hand over the antidote for the poison, allowing a shorter (though less rewarding) quest resolution. This was apparently working prior to the 1.2 patch, judging from forum posts.

Standard patch 1.2, single-player, no mods.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Did you talk to him already? You are correct, of course--the triggers for the charm response are

Global("PartyCured","GLOBAL",0)
    StateCheck(Myself,STATE_CHARMED)
    HasItem("potn47",Myself)

so as long as you aren't already cured and he still has his antidote you should be able to get the quick-and-dirty resolution. Any mods installed?
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    edited November 2013
    As I said, no mods, and the same result happens whether you charm him before or after he talks to you.

Edit: Beamdog version of the game, not Steam.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You know, one of these days I need to start reading the fine print in people's posts.

How very odd....the default Marek doesn't carry his copy of the antidote so charming him will result in nothing, giving the "appears busy" response. I never noticed that before. Ah hah--he doesn't actually get it in his inventory until his script puts him in the Blushing Mermaid inn *after* you have helped Lothander. Strangely enough, even after I update marek.cre to have his antidote I am still getting the "appears busy" when we charm him and try to talk to him. I'll have to look into this more when I get back to the house.