Skip to content

dragon fight

As im drawing towards my first Dragon fight some questions. Do arrows of piercing work against Dragons? and what mage spells besides mm are advisable? do vampiric touch and melfs Minute Meteors work?

Comments

• velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Dragons have some magic resistance but I´ve got an impression that magic works quite well against them. But brute force works even better. Just equip your best weapons, cast some buffing spell (improved haste) and !!! be protected against their breath !!!. That is all. It is shame that dragons, who should be kings of all monsters, are not so impressive in BG.
  • WookieeWookiee Member Posts: 14
    A couple of lower resistance followed by finger of death is the quickest way I know of to kill a dragon, may take a reload or two though.
  • AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2013
    It really depends on your level what spells you want, but I'd stay away from both vampiric touch and minute meteors, since they rely on a hit roll to deal damage. Also, Firkraag (if that's the one you're going to fight) has 65% magic resistance, so you'll need multiple casts of Lower Resistance before you can do anything with your spells. If you're only able to cast up to lvl 5 spells (Lower Resistance is a lvl 5) I would recommend Skull Trap/Magic Missiles to deal damage, Breach to get rid of his Stoneskin that he casts on himself, and lots of summons to distract him away from your party members. Fire Shield Red and the cleric spell Protection From Fire are very handy, as well as Remove Fear. You'll probably want to bring Haste as well in case you need to run people away from him.

Anyway, I'm not a powergamer by any means, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If you're a high enough level to cast Finger of Death, do what wookiee suggested, but throw in a Greater Malison to tip the dice rolls in your favor.
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    Magic in general is not really great against dragons. If your party is heavily magic based, I'd suggest having at least one NPC with at least 2 Lower Resistance spells, and that should leave them open to some magic attacks such as Magic Missiles. Also, as far as I know no dragon attacks you right away so if you have some thieves I'd highly suggest dropping as many traps as possible right at it's feet. I had Hexxat in my party and all her traps took the Shadow Dragon down to "Injured" immediately.

Other than that, I can just suggest throwing everything you have at it. Potion up, magic up. If you have any items against fear or sleep I'd suggest equipping those. Dragons tend to throw dispel magic so while it might not seem that useful, anything that just MIGHT save you from a sleep or fear or whatever is great. Pause at every turn and evaluate the battle. Did someone fall asleep? Are everyone within attack range? Did someone run out of ammunition? A battle against a dragon is intense and a lot of micromanagement is usually required, and prepare for a lot of reloading.
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    edited November 2013
    i always thought skull trap, mm and melfs Minute Meteors Bypass Magic resistance? and what about the arrows of piercing? they are +4 so should work against Dragons?
  • keuunnykeuunny Member Posts: 15
    None of those three spells bypass magic resistance. In fact, nearly all but the most powerful of spells can be resisted
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2013
    Dashiva said:

Magic in general is not really great against dragons. If your party is heavily magic based, I'd suggest having at least one NPC with at least 2 Lower Resistance spells, and that should leave them open to some magic attacks such as Magic Missiles.

The first part of your statement is a little contradictory with the rest of your statement because, clearly, the right spells are very effective against dragons. Lower Resistance is the ace in your hand when taking on dragons, if you can get these spells off very quickly at the start of the battle - rather than having one party member with two spells have two party members with one spell targeted at the same time; IIRC correctly the spell does stack - it'll make things much easier. If you have arrows or bolts of piercing in your arsenal make sure they're equipped too. (Gods, I'm editing again) Honestly I used to avoid dragon encounters like the plague - I don't usually bother killing the shadow dragon - but these tactics worked very well for me.

• velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    alaundo said:

iand what about the arrows of piercing? they are +4 so should work against Dragons?

Dragons can be hit by normal weapons. Or not? I think that they can be. At least they can be hit by +2 weapons
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35

Dashiva said:

Magic in general is not really great against dragons. If your party is heavily magic based, I'd suggest having at least one NPC with at least 2 Lower Resistance spells, and that should leave them open to some magic attacks such as Magic Missiles.

The first part of your statement is a little contradictory with the rest of your statement because, clearly, the right spells are very effective against dragons. Lower Resistance is the ace in your hand when taking on dragons, if you can get these spells off very quickly at the start of the battle - rather than having one party member with two spells have two party members with one spell targeted at the same time; IIRC correctly the spell does stack - it'll make things much easier. If you have arrows or bolts of piercing in your arsenal make sure they're equipped too. (Gods, I'm editing again) Honestly I used to avoid dragon encounters like the plague - I don't usually bother killing the shadow dragon - but these tactics worked very well for me.

Yeah, of course. If you use the best possible spells against that certain enemy then you're bound to have some success. I agree that I could've probably worded it a bit differently but unless you have Lower Resistance you're not gonna have much luck with magic against dragons.

Otherwise, yeah. What this guy says. Also, if you've managed to get your hand on the Dragonslayer sword, give it to your tank.
    Dragons Need +3 weapons to be hit iirc velehal. Im set then my 2 warriors got em also viconia with the dwarfen thrower and hexxat with arrows of piercing.
    edit: forgot that viconia cant use the dwarfen thrower so ist just slay living for her or spiritual hammer ;)
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I killed him by having Jan and Hexxat build a huge pile of traps at his feet. Then my fighter/mage and Edwin hit him with cloud kill. I hadn't managed to pick up a lower resistance scroll by then, but with 2 cloud kills, the odds of one getting through is pretty decent. I had cast all these buffs on my party, and wound up not using them at all. I probably won't do that again, since it was pretty anti-climactic and awfully cheesy. It was rather satisfying to see him go down so easily with how much trouble he gave me the first time I played BG2, though. Consider this my revenge for all the trouble he gave me in the past.