Skip to content

Blackguard Archer?

Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
Planning on making a ranged blackguard that uses crossbow or longbow together with a halberd. The plan is using arrow of biting/acid together with the poison weapon spell and haste while trying to hit as many enemies I can when fighting, and then letting them die from the damage over time(perhaps go in with melee and save arrows since poison/acid does not stack).

How do you all think this will work through the trilogy(piercing damage...)? And what type of the two mentioned weapons would be most effective? I think a quick one would be best but it's only a guess since I never rolled a ranged weapon char.

Concept(?):
imageimageimage

Will go all chaotic crazy evil and see how that will play out(Faerun will be quite empty and Dorn will be one happy half-orc when the game is finished).

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd say the Wave halberd is a great long term choice. Since you'll get lots of prof points, you can be flexible (since you don't need to worry about GM). As for weapons, arrows were a lot more plentiful for me, and you have the halberd for the rare opponent that your arrows can't (due to bonus) hit.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I'd suggest shortbow. Gesen, iirc, hits with a +4 modifier when using its own ammo. Also, one used to be able to stack gesen damage with other arrows, not sure if changed for EE. Additionally, you get access to Tuigan Bow early on in the CC, which grants +1 APR.

Halberd is a great choice, since there are good halberd's in each phase of the Trilogy, particularly ToB's Ravager.
  • As far as I can tell, ammo stacking still works, which means for the trilogy as a whole you probably want to use crossbows or shortbows, as once you hit BG2 ammo stacking is one of the few ways to eke out good ranged damage. I would lean towards crossbow if only because bolts of lightning exist throughout the trilogy, while the special arrow types get nerfed in BG2. If you're more flexible on the choice of ranged weapons, strongly consider slings, at least for BG2 on. The fact that slings get the strength bonus means they are very competitive in the BG2 environment and eventually out damage other options, especially since you'll be boosting your strength a lot for being evil and having Draw Upon Holy Might.

Halberd is a fine choice for the trilogy. The shortfalls of piercing damage are much overstated. Worst case, you'll want a bludgeoning backup weapon for mustard jellies and clay golems. Quarterstaves (pretend you're using the haft of your halberd), maces, flails, and war hammers are all fine choices in that neighborhood.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Kaigen He won't have DUHM because he's evil, though... I think? Blackguards don't get paladin spellcasting.
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153

@Kaigen He won't have DUHM because he's evil, though... I think? Blackguards don't get paladin spellcasting.

I think he means the bhaalspawn power
    Kaigen said:

As far as I can tell, ammo stacking still works, which means for the trilogy as a whole you probably want to use crossbows or shortbows, as once you hit BG2 ammo stacking is one of the few ways to eke out good ranged damage. I would lean towards crossbow if only because bolts of lightning exist throughout the trilogy, while the special arrow types get nerfed in BG2. If you're more flexible on the choice of ranged weapons, strongly consider slings, at least for BG2 on. The fact that slings get the strength bonus means they are very competitive in the BG2 environment and eventually out damage other options, especially since you'll be boosting your strength a lot for being evil and having Draw Upon Holy Might.

Halberd is a fine choice for the trilogy. The shortfalls of piercing damage are much overstated. Worst case, you'll want a bludgeoning backup weapon for mustard jellies and clay golems. Quarterstaves (pretend you're using the haft of your halberd), maces, flails, and war hammers are all fine choices in that neighborhood.

I hate slings, so damn ugly! Also a blackguard with a sling does sound quite hilarious...
    But if I get back on the subject, will the gesen electricity damage, acid/biting and poison weapon stack? If so that would be quite crazy.
    Evil powers don't include DuHM AFAIK.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Detonating arrows + blackguard poison are a pretty fun combo.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153

Evil powers don't include DuHM AFAIK.

Evil with a charade of a good reputation! Mohahah!
    Elendar said:

?
  • @FinneousPJ @Aron740 Blackguards get divine spellcasting at higher levels, just like Paladins, and DUHM is on their list.

I just tested with Firetooth, and you can ammo stack with bolts of biting and get the poison effect, so using Gesen/Firetooth with your tactics should function fine.
    Ah so it seems. I thought blackguards didn't get spells like inquisitors.