Skip to content

[Known, #7143] [CORE] - Dual class thief backstab bug.

2»

Comments

• rvr808303rvr808303 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    @Kastian

I messed around a bit the backstab.2da file using the 'TeamBG 2DA Editor v1.1' because the solution posted by Kastian didn't seem to do the trick for me. Before using the fixed 2da file my backstab was getting rerolled to x1 on level-up, now it's somehow 1 point higher than it should be.

I made a backup of the backstab.2DA with the correct spelling of ASSASSIN before I started editing the values in it. I have a save before the level-up from level 17 assassin (inactive)/level 17 mage to level 17/18 assassin/mage. Plus another save after the level-up was done, to see if there's any difference.

It seems that no matter what I attempted I wasn't getting the correct backstab multiplier value that was entered in the 2DA file. Neither with Kastian's file or the ones I created with the editor. I thought maybe the levels from both classes were somehow added, although I was almost certain this wasn't the case, but I tried anyway.

I set the level 35 value to 6 instead of 7 to test this. Still got the x7 multiplier on level-up with the lvl 17 assassin / lvl 18 mage... I tried it with the save after the lvl-up but the result was the same.

So I set the backstab value to 6 to all the levels from 17 to 40. This way the x7 multiplier shouldn't even be a possibility since the 2DA rule "spreadsheet" file for 'backstab multiplier based on level' doesn't allow that value. Nevertheless I somehow got the x7 multiplier again, although it wasn't even possible according to the rules set in the 2DA file.

Then I tried setting every value to 1 from level 1 to 40... I did the level-up and it got rerolled to a x2 value somehow. Loading the save after the level-up yielded the same results: backstab multiplier x2...

This is strange because before using the corrected file uploaded to this thread, the multiplier on level-up got rerolled to x1. The reason for this was the misspelling of 'ASSASSIN' to ' ASSASIN' (not sure of this BTW). But now with the corrected 2DA file by Kastian, obtaining an x1 value is only possible if the value set for the assassin's current level is 0 (!) which is not even the case for a level 1 assassin ...

Following this logic that no matter what value I entered in the 2DA file, somehow +1 always got added to it, I made one last try and edited the file so that the value from level 13 to level 40 was always 5. I loaded the save first where the level-up was already done, and it displayed x6. Loaded the save before the level-up, did the level-up and it got the correct value this time.

Tried to backstab someone, it works correctly: Backstab - Sextuple damage.

But setting the values in a 2DA "rule spreadsheet" 1 lower than what it is actually supposed to be is hardly a workaround / solution. It only helped in my specific case, since the assassin part of my character is not going to level further up from 17...

What could be causing this ? Why does +1 always gets added to the value displayed in the 2da file?
    Could someone clarify this?

Post edited by rvr808303 on
  • rvr808303rvr808303 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    Since I'm getting 0 replies I'll continue ranting on anyway :D

I encountered some more weirdness:

At leveling up from 19 mage / 17 assassin to 20 mage / 17 assassin I got the following level-up
    "BONUS": Backstab multiplier increased by -1

NOTE: I'm still using the 2da file I created which contains backstab values of 5 for every level from 13 to 40 so that I won't get the x7 multiplier only the x6 (even though the value in the 2da is 5)

If I use the fixed 2da file posted here by Kastian I get the same message.
    Meaning that using any modified 'backstab.2da' triggers this message.

What does leveling up as a mage have to do with backstabs ?!?!

Besides the "backstab multiplier increased by -1" message, the values remain the same after leveling up.
    I retain my x6 multiplier using the file I created and I retain my incorrect x7 multiplier using the file Kastian created. (

Removing the 2da file from the override folder removes the message.
    But in that case I'm using the original 2da file released with the game, meaning the bug is back and my backstab value gets rerolled back to x1.

I attached everything related:

- screenshots from before and after the level up (notice the change in the lore value)
    - a savegame
    - the editor I used
    - both backstab.2da files (1 by Kastian, 1 by me)

I hope I make more sense this way, and using the files I attached everyone can reproduce what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to bad-mouth anyone, I'm simply stating my results !

And I'm just trying to figure out what is broken here, since the dual-classing thief backstab issue affects many people.
  • Pakk0Pakk0 Member Posts: 1
    I've been messing around a bit as well and found the same problem. Assassin lv25 --> Cleric lv26 (through EEKeeper) and ended up with X2 Backstab. After using the first file mentioned in this thread I ended up having X9 Backstab.... which while fun and all is pretty game breaking. I just want to be able to dual class an assassin without any issues lol! what do i need to do to get this to work?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Pakk0 and @rvr808303: Is this new part with the backstab (after a certain level it resets to 2x or -1 or whatever) happening only with your modified 2da file? I realize the original 2da file is broken to not allow BS for Assassins and Bounty Hunters.

Is the issue you're bringing up a NEW bug or a potential issue with how the 2da file was modified / "fixed" for the old bug?

I'm just trying to figure out whether this needs to be split off as a second bug or whether this is all part and parcel of the same issue in the original thread?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Illydth said:

@Pakk0 and @rvr808303: Is this new part with the backstab (after a certain level it resets to 2x or -1 or whatever) happening only with your modified 2da file? I realize the original 2da file is broken to not allow BS for Assassins and Bounty Hunters.

Is the issue you're bringing up a NEW bug or a potential issue with how the 2da file was modified / "fixed" for the old bug?

I'm just trying to figure out whether this needs to be split off as a second bug or whether this is all part and parcel of the same issue in the original thread?

all this means don't edit and then post that theres a bug
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    Bad thing is you can't go from fighter to sin since it's your first class that counts, they really do need to use Raid on those bugs
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    The only solution if it weren't for the bugs would be sin to level 13 first then fighter