Skip to content

Baldurs Gate 2: Throne Of Bhaal - Standalone?

RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
I recently read the BG: TOB criticism thread and agreed with some of the things said within it. I believe the largest criticism in the thread was how short and seemingly pinned on TOB was. Even though i love TOB, i had to agree to a extent, and wished TOB would have had more side-quests and more general openness that BG1 had in spades. I have to ask if the BG community if they would be willing to have a standalone version of TOB that would have a significant increase in game-play time, at a price that would closely resemble the price-tag of BG1: EE.This is only an idea and a mere thought.

Comments

• Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Hell YES!
    Ahem... what I meant to say was - yes, please. ;)
    Especially if it means that I would no longer be bossed around by Solars (in my own damn pocket plane! the nerve!) and obviously-a-villain random chicks.
    *leaves links to related posts to avoid repeating herself*
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/24491/#Comment_24491
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/19630/#Comment_19630
  • RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
    Syntia13 said:

Hell YES!
    Ahem... what I meant to say was - yes, please. ;)
    Especially if it means that I would no longer be bossed around by Solars (in my own damn pocket plane! the nerve!) and obviously-a-villain random chicks.
    *leaves links to related posts to avoid repeating herself*
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/24491/#Comment_24491
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/19630/#Comment_19630

Wow, those are very insightful comments. I guess you really do have no need to repeat yourself. ha ha
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    This idea was forged in the fires of mount win! I'm all for it!
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I disagree. I think ToB would be even better if it just had a whole bunch of new quests put into it and it didnt feel quite so linear. A bit of travelling freedom besides just Watcher's Keep.
    Cuv said:

I disagree. I think ToB would be even better if it just had a whole bunch of new quests put into it and it didnt feel quite so linear. A bit of travelling freedom besides just Watcher's Keep.

Who are you disagreeing with? I said it would improve with those changes, ha ha.

• EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    I would gladly buy that. Sadly, it's already confirmed that ToB will be part of BG2EE, and I'm pretty sure the contractual limitations would prevent too much expansion.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    If they figure out a way to merge the two games so you can travel back and do the old BG2 side areas while on the ToB questline I think it'd alleviate a lot of these issues. That's a big if, however.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    TOB is the original expansion that was meant to end the series, it was made 10 years ago. I think people are really over-analyzing this. If you don't like TOB, just stop playing the game when BGII ends proper.
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2012
    I would be completely against this. People can have their own opinions about ToB just like they can criticize whatever other elements or structural decisions they dislike about any of the titles in this series, but this would be messing with the original's integrity, which is unacceptable.

These games are 12-14 years old and the teams who made them don't exist anymore, so even with the best intentions it would be impossible to do something like this and do the originals justice. Even if they have some of the guys who worked on the games back in the day -- that was over a decade ago, and a couple of guys could never recreate the vision of an entire team. I'm sorry OP, but I think it's a horrible idea. Leave stuff like this to the modders -- don't replace the original expansion with a new, officially licensed version that, 12 years after the fact, suddenly makes it a separate game and adds a bunch of new content created by a completely different developer.
    edited August 2012
    I would be completely against this. People can have their own opinions about ToB just like they can criticize whatever other elements or structural decisions they dislike about any of the titles in this series, but this would be messing with the original's integrity, which is unacceptable.

These games are 12-14 years old and the teams who made them don't exist anymore, so even with the best intentions it would be impossible to do something like this and do the originals justice. Even if they have some of the guys who worked on the games back in the day -- that was over a decade ago, and a couple of guys could never recreate the vision of an entire team. I'm sorry OP, but I think it's a horrible idea. Leave stuff like this to the modders -- don't replace the original expansion with a new, officially licensed version that, 12 years after the fact, suddenly makes it a separate game and adds a bunch of new content created by a completely different developer.
    If you disagree on editing the expansion, then what is your opinion on Beamdog overhauling and adding content to BG1? I honestly don't see the difference. And again, I'd like to reiterate that i love TOB.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    So you are asking if we would pay more for a large amount of extra Infinity engine goodness.... Hmm.. how to respond to that questions... I guess "yes" is the word Im looking for :p
  • PhaerimmselbowPhaerimmselbow Member Posts: 3
    I would like to see TOB left well alone, except for one detail. Add a quest to gag Cespenar, the most annoying voiceset ever.