Skip to content

Dealing with patches in a modded game

Greetings fellow adventurers!

What would be the simplest and most effective way to patch a game and not brake all the mods in the process? I've recently started a modded game (Banter pack, Yoshi friendship, Rogue rebalancing, G3 tweaks, SCS, aTweaks - in that order) which will not play nicely if I patch the game with today's patch.

While I can restart this game (not far in), it's a sad thought thinking that a major feature could be implemented while I'm too far in to restart.

Would this work: Make a backup of an original override folder and dialogue.tlk after each patch, when new patch comes out, delete modded files, put in originals, patch the game, then install the mods in the same order as before? What are the odds of game being broken and dialogue strings completely messed up (as it was the case in the original game)?

Or do you have a different suggestion? Or is there really no decent way around this?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    I'll be interested in responses to this too...
    I've already been affected by this last patch (today's one), which broke the strings refs for a mod I had installed. So, what's needs to be done in order to prevent this from happening again?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    There is no decent way to do this, unfortunately. If you copy your override folder, you're going to be overwriting some of the patch's changes.

It's the trade-off of using mods in a game that's regularly updated.
    Good to know... In that case, the best course of action would be to wait a few weeks/months before trying with mods, I suppose.

Sadly, in my case, I had to install a mod to in order to have an usable thief in my party...

Thanks for the response, BTW!
    Cheers
  • albinocobraalbinocobra Member Posts: 56
    That's unfortunate indeed. Thanks for the answer though.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I stopped trying and just reinstall the game and my mods everytime there's a patch.
    I guess I'll do the same, though reinstalling every mod is tedious and time consuming. Banter pack and SCS will have to do, at least for now.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I 'think' if you keep your weidu log and copy that back in, when you install one, it will reinstall all the others if the mods are present. Let's get some weidu experts to respond : @CamDawg or @Wisp is that doable? Or is there another option?
    That would be awesome, copy/paste mod folders and the log file, start the setup and get a cup of coffee in the meanwhile. Pretty nice automated solution, if it works.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Cuv said:

I 'think' if you keep your weidu log and copy that back in, when you install one, it will reinstall all the others if the mods are present. Let's get some weidu experts to respond : @CamDawg or @Wisp is that doable? Or is there another option?

This seems like a good option for weidu to have as a command-line switch, rather than needing to trick it into doing it. Reparse weidu.log, reinstall that mod configuration as if on a fresh install (ignoring any existing backups).

Who is maintaining weidu these days?

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @enneract That'd be @Wisp.

Re-installing your mods won't necessarily fix your savegames; you will probably have a bunch of string mismatch issues.
    Well, I was able to repair my game by uninstalling mod/verify cache/re-install mod again... but the mod I installed has a built-in string fixer, luckily.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Link.