Skip to content

Whining about mind flayer (Spoiler)

I did the second tomb quest for Hexxat last night... and the first room was so hard for me. God I hate those Mind flayer and umber hulk combo. I was happy to see those monk kill them until they attack me for no apparent reason. So, I closed the door, and waited. Open the door, cast some cloud, close the door... oh yeah... magic resist. But at least the Umber Hulk was death. Save, open the door... reload... open the door... reload... curse the world... open the door and few critical hit later I won. OMG! that was so hard.

Yeah I know I could trap/sleep, trap/sleep, trap/sleep. But I try to RP it a bit and I don't like abusing the traps. Now I'm ready for the Mind Flayer lair in underdark??? Hell no =P

Sorry for the whining, but I feel better now... The tomb was very cool, I like the hard combat and all that stuff... but I hate Mind Flayer and Umber Hulk together!!!

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's a really rough encounter due to how hostilities are handled in these games. I had to reload countless times for the Monks not to go hostile, which was immensely frustrating.

Not sure what your party is, but the fifth-level priest spell Chaotic Commands is amazing in these fights. Toss them on your frontliners, and all you'll have to worry about is the Mind Flayers' intelligence-drain melee attack. And, depending on how you've built Hexxat, she can one-shot the Flayers with backstabs.

Summons are also good.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2013
    The Death spell is great for quickly taking out Umber Hulks. No save, party friendly,works every time.
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2013
    I just potioned up Minsc with Intelligence and equipped some weapon that had protection against Domination and just went apeshit on them. Granted, I had Hexxat and my main backstabbing them as well, but as long as they focused on Minsc I was golden.
  • rizar123rizar123 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try that. And I'm not quite used to backstab in those game, never really used them. I got invisible, approach someone, attack and BOOM, 14 damage. Maybe I just don't know how backstab work, it could be a nice thing to learn now I played BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2 about 25 times totals =P

Usually, once in underdark I use the 2 magical +5 Swords spell (morsomething sword) and close the door, once everything is death I loot. But it's not very fair... well... as if Mindflayer was fair!

thanks again!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    You have to be invisible and attack from the back. And of course, some enemies cannot be backstabbed, such as dragons.