Skip to content

bgee v1.2.0 works fine, then suddenly starts freezing up

My bgee is in trouble..
Running on: Win7x64pro sp1, Intel i7 920 (8 cores), 6GB dual-ram, 2 x Radeon HD 5800 (linked with one display), steam, a logitech g700 mouse.

This post -36 hours:
I was having a blast running bgee v1.2.0 seemingly flawless (been playing without problems for roughly 40 hours over a span of a few days). When I exited my win7x64 updated some security patches and IE11.

-20 hours:
I started another session of bgee, but the game starts stuttering as soon as I hit the menu, and this persist throughout the game. By stuttering, I mean frequent small freezes. Every 1-5 seconds the game freezes for 1-10 seconds when I take an action such as clicking a button or setting move coordinates etc. My characters can move from one end of the screen to another without any freeze, but as soon as I make a mouse-action, the game is likely to freeze. A few times the game has frozen completely, but it has never crashed.
There is no freeze on a random mouse-click. The mouse-click must activate something interactive in the game to cause a freeze.
I could in theory keep playing, if only I was the very essence of patience and not human at all.

What I've tried:
Checked task manager for suspicious activity, but only bgee and idle resources appear. bgee up to 15% during a freeze.
Checked numerous other apps and games, no stutter in them.
2 Re-installs, no effect.
Removed all the new windows updates, and downgraded (IE11 to IE9) and disableled internet explorer. No noticable effect.
I made windows defender exeptions to the game-folders, and made sure to run bgee without antivirus live-scanning.
Tried data exclution prevention exeption, no effect. Reversed changes.
I tried running bgee with only one cpu-core affiliated (this made the game freeze completely), and in different priority modes. Changes only temporary.
Installed new catalyst drivers, with the result that the stattering was greadly reduced. However, I then updated net.framework 4.5 through windows update and the stuttering became worse than ever.
Tried compatibility mode Windows 95, then checking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" "Disable desktop composition" and "Disable visual themes", no effect. Reversed changes.
Tried compatibility mode win98, win2000, winXP sp2 & sp3, and discover that improvements and worsenings appear at random. Had improvement with comp win98, but after trying other settings reversing to the "best" one no longer improves performance.
Reinstalled the game, catalyst drivers and mouse drivers. No effect.
Realized that the steam-client have also had several updates during this period, although no other steam application I have installed is affected by the recent problem.
Ran CCleaner deleting 5GB of junk, alas to no effect.
Game in: Windowed mode, no effect. Disable hardware mouse-cursor, no effect. Disabled scale user interface, no effect.
In bgee.ini: Changed memory level from 1 to 100 and max framerate from 30 to 60, with the same improvement as when I first installed the new catalyst drivers. Much better, but still frequent stuttering (from every mouse-click to every mouse click in maybe 6). However at this point it seems to early to assume that the improvement was caused by the changes I made, as problem frequency seems to be fluctuating regardless of what I do.
Checked for this problem in several forums, but could not find it described.

Anyone else with this issue? Anyone know what's going on here, or have tips for resolving? I would like to achieve a complete resolve, as stuttering like this completely ruins my experience in bg regardless of frequency.

The only thing I can think of to try is to uninstall the net.framework 4.5 updates, but even if this return the game to the low frequency stutter I had after installing the latest catalyst drivers for the first time, that would still not be acceptable for gameplay. Also, I would rather not have my os in an overly compromised state.
The last option would be to reinstall windows, but I'm loathe to spend 2 days reconfiguring only to find the problem persists. An alternative I'm contemplating is to install a 2nd windows copy on one of my drives, and seek to make that one work with bgee. To this final point, does anyone know what operating system works best with bgee (and bg2ee, which I will purchase if I can get through bgee in an acceptable manner)?

At any rate, please help! :)

Comments

• EmilAmundsenEmilAmundsen Member Posts: 12
    Deleted the bgee.ini on a hunch, and now the problem is seemingly gone!..
    I opened the .ini to see if I could spot any differences, but was unable to find any. I just hope it "sticks". No more automatic updates until I'm done with both bgs for now..

Thanks for the help everyone! ;)
    edited November 2013
    Alas I cheered to soon. After a little while it turns out the fix was only temporary and that the problem persisted. This is what happened:
    I played with just a few minor stutters for some hours. Then suddenly the stutters started appearing again with increasing frequency. After a while I had to delete the .ini again to make it better, but the intervalls between each delete kept increasing until I had to delete it every half-hour or so.

I then tried deleting the .ini while also reinstalling the game, hoping that the combo would reset the game to when I worked flawlessly. However, this made it all even worse again and deleting the .ini now does nothing.

I'm gonna try reinstalling catalyst yet again, hoping I will get the game to a semi-working state.

So in conclusion, I still need some help.
    Anyone have an incling of what's going on or how to fix it?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So I admit to just having browsed your post, however question:

You note that the stuttering seems to happen only with mouse activity. I also notice that you state you're using a Logitech G700. I didn't see you note anything about updating the G700 Drivers and/or trying with a wired mouse.

Can you humor me and, if you happen to have one, can you unhook your G700 from your computer and go with a wired mouse and see if the same thing happens?

I realize this has nothing to do with your updates or your situation, but wireless mice do have the potential to have their receivers go bad, get interference from outside sources, etc. I'd just like to rule out the potential hardware problem.
    Thanks for answering, Illydth.
    I did update the mouse drivers with no change.
    I don't have an alternate mouse to try with, but the G700 is both wired and wireless. I've been experimenting a bit with both, with no discernable change. As the frequency of the freezes are not constant, its hard to percieve small changes.

However, a symptoms update:
    It seems it's not the mouse-clicks per se that causes the freezes, but rather certain changes within the game. Mouse-clicks for sure, but also script-commands and tooltips (hover mouse-action).
    Furthermore, where I could have the characters walk the length of the map without freezes before, this is not allways the case afterall. The game now seems to sometimes freeze at intervalls in addition to the interaction-freezes. This doesen't allways happen tho, and before my last reinstall deleting the .ini temporarily fixed this problem.
    Also, the game now rather often freezes up completely in addition to the micro-freezes.
    @EmilAmundsen: So this is a COMPLETE longshot at this point.

First a question: Does this happen with a brand new game? I know I posted this on another of your threads, but this is the one I can get back to. If you start a brand spanking new play through without an imported character does the game behave the same way?

If it does NOT, can you post up your saved game that you're having an issue with? While I'm about 90% certain this is NOT saved game related, I'd like to at least verify.
    Actually, lets consolidate threads here for a second. Please post back to:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/410544

for this issue. I see in the other thread where you've said it does happen with a brand new game (and others have identified the same issues) so lets assume for a moment this is NOT save related.

Moving comments over to the linked thread.