Skip to content

Is there a Blackgaurd weapon equivalent to Carsomyr

I don't mean the soul Reaver +5 long sword either, unless that upgrades?

I would really like to know because I don't want to spend a play through as my blackguard in bg2 if there isn't. I would rather just go through as another class.

Comments

• SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    Or should I say great sword
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2013
    There is. At least in shadowkeeper.

• VadrielVadriel Member Posts: 20
    Found one in watcher's keep that I don't recall seeing before, and it was geared towards a half orc blackguard. I'll leave it at that ;>
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    What a joke. 50% chance of dispel? No magic resistance? 1d10 instead of 1d12? And not to mention that 90% of the game's enemies are evil... It's but a shadow of Carsomyr.
  • stargazerbstargazerb Member Posts: 57
    Not sure if you're open to mods or not, and I don't think this one is quite compatible yet, but Item Upgrade http://weidu.org/item.html has a weapon that combines Soul Reaver and Carsomyr into basically the evil version of an upgraded Carsomyr.
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    Well I think that answers my question thanks guys
  • needsmoarhamstersneedsmoarhamsters Member Posts: 30
    Gram the Sword of Grief inflicts level drain on hit after being upgraded, adds a small amount of magic resistance, and has a chance to poison on hit. The vorpal sword is nothing to sneeze at either.

If you're not married to 2-handed swords, Blackrazor is a nice thematic weapon for early ToB. Ixil's Spike, Hindo's Doom, and Angurvadal are all excellent ToB weapons also, although I don't remember if they are alignment restricted.

Nothing is going to come close to the anti-mage potential of Carsomyr, IMO - but dispelling magic is what you have mages of your own for.

Also, 1d10 vs 1d12 is an average of 1 point difference per attack - negligible.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    jankiel said:

There is. At least in shadowkeeper.

That sword is found on a Githyanki anti-paladin in the Githyanki section of the Machine of Lum the Mad level of Watcher's Keep.
  • JerrinJerrin Member Posts: 12
    The only thing you'll really be missing out on will be the magic resist then, which is fixable by potions and spells.

Needsmoarhamsters pointed out the damage average, and the fact that you dispel on every 2nd attack instead of every attack hardly matters in ToB, when you can use whirlwind to set your attacks to 10 or so.

All in all, the sword isn't as good as Carsomyr, true. But I suppose it wasn't meant to be either, just the 'evil equivalent'.
    edited November 2013
    You do know what "equivalent" means, right? "Counterpart", maybe. "Copy". "Knockoff"?
  • I would argue that Ir'revrykal is equivalent thematically to Carsomyr in that it's an unholy sword designed to help the Blackguard fight the forces of Good. The problem is that the distribution of enemies in BG2 means that can never be equivalent mechanically. You could make a sword that deals +1000 damage to good targets and it still wouldn't be as useful as Carsomyr.
    I was not aware the old version had Immunity to Charm and 50% dispel on hit on it. Interesting to know.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    There's always the hope that they will include a little new content in a future patch or DLC providing an opportunity to upgrade this. Or making an entirely new blackguard weapon.

The real question is, what evil themed abilities could it have that aren't already decently represented? We have a few level draining weapons already. Poison maybe, but the blackguard can do that anyway. Maybe ability drain? More stuff like rancor's on kill ability? Every time you swing the sword an orphanage loses 5 gp?

What evil artifact weapons are there to draw inspiration from? The only one I sort of remember is the sword of kas, which was like a +6 speed vorpal weapon or somesuch in 3rd.

I'm getting off-topic here, but I'm really hoping for a content patch/dlc that adds a bunch of ToB endgame tier items. I just like looking at them.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2013
    I believe there is a tool for every need. And that a chance for an instant kill plus hp drain on top of the regular hit is more confortable then some meager dispel effect. For that I got 2 bows with a total of 5 dispels per round, unhasted.

Dark Justice 2hand

Oh well, that one is LG, maybe the black deitys have a little trouble to come up with a 2hander.
    Post edited by RazaDelrom on
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    The sad fact is that - in my opinion - Carsomyr is found too early in the game. I mean, there is little challenge in obtaining virtually the best two handed sword in the game by a 12th level party. Firkraag poses threat only if you insist on roleplaying (challenging him to a duel etc.). If you don't, then you set up traps or just save game and cast feeblemind on him until it lands. Then you can take your mage, make him attack the helpless dragon with a quarterstaff and go shopping (or to sleep).

Every so-called equivalent of Carsomyr is met later in the game. I mean - how can you even compare going to the Watcher's Keep to going to Windspear Hills for a stroll?

So. my thanks to devs of EE for this nice addition in Dorn's quest :) Abyssal Blade might not be top level but is good enough until you reach later parts of the game.

Just look at Icewind Dale II for reference. Not only is the Holy Avenger late in the game, but you also have to earn it by winning virtually the hardest fight in the game.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149

Lathlaer said:

The sad fact is that - in my opinion - Carsomyr is found too early in the game.

There is nothing I dislike more in a game than when I get some awesome item with only 5 minutes of the game left
    Yep, it totally takes the challenge out of the game, like fighting beholders with items, you should not have yet.
    edited November 2013

Lathlaer said:

The sad fact is that - in my opinion - Carsomyr is found too early in the game.

There is nothing I dislike more in a game than when I get some awesome item with only 5 minutes of the game left
    I agree, but the case of Carsomyr is an extreme opposite. Of course I would be pissed if I got Carsomyr, say, in Suldarr'essalar, but if I played it right I could have it right after exiting Irenicus's dungeon. And BANG, my Chaos Blade +2 suddenly upgraded to a weapon I will not change for the rest of the game.

The obvious solution would be buffing the dragon significantly. Or make Firkraag appear in Coronet later in the game (while buffing Firkraag :P).

Or better yet, make the sword obtainable via Cromwell's Forge. Red dragon would have the blade and Shadow Dragon the hilt. That would be more challenging and time consuming.
  • ParoniParoni Member Posts: 10
    So Dorn cannot use Carsomyr? That would make sense, although would be a little disappointing.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Lathlaer said:

Just look at Icewind Dale II for reference. Not only is the Holy Avenger late in the game, but you also have to earn it by winning virtually the hardest fight in the game.

Slightly different in IWD1 where although a good portion through the game you find it just lying around in a random building.

Of course it just looks like a normal longsword+2 until used by a paladin.

decado said:

Lathlaer said:

Slightly different in IWD1 where although a good portion through the game you find it just lying around in a random building.

Of course it just looks like a normal longsword+2 until used by a paladin.

Really? I never went far in IWD1, it's good to know.

Anyway, I would be perfectly happy if you had to do the following to get Carsomyr:

Get the blade (Firkraag) and the hilt (Thaxll'ssillyia) and a scroll of Dispel Magic to Cromwell. Then pay 20k for the work because it's worth that much.

That way you can have it early in the game but have also work for it.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Dee said:

Strictly speaking, Ir'revrykal isn't a new item; it's an item that was already there but had no name or description. All we did was give it a unique icon, name, and description. The abilities are the same that they've always been, with the exception that now the weapon can actually be used by the player (if you're a blackguard).

Well, we made it actually obtainable too. It was no-drop before unless you cheated and CLUAed it in.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

You do know what "equivalent" means, right? "Counterpart", maybe. "Copy". "Knockoff"?

Considering Blackguards are kinda... overpowered... its really not that big a deal
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171

Considering Blackguards are kinda... overpowered... its really not that big a deal
    Inquistor > Blackguards in terms of power...especially seeing how magic-heavy the stronger enemies are
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    ghostowl said:

Inquistor > Blackguards in terms of power...especially seeing how magic-heavy the stronger enemies are
    Blackguards can cast priest spells though (Armor of Faith, Draw Upon Holy Might, etc). Not to mention their own innate abilities. (Ohh and I'm not saying they are OP just that I think depending upon what your party composition is they kind of even out).
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Inquisitors, the anti-mages that need a mage to fight a mage actually(*cough breach)! :p

Blackguard>Inquisitor anyday, now for Cavaliers... not sure.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited November 2013
    Maybe you want to check ohbwing1.itm (if I'm not wrong) with EEkeeper.
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
    Mornmagor said:

Inquisitors, the anti-mages that need a mage to fight a mage actually(*cough breach)! :p

Blackguard>Inquisitor anyday, now for Cavaliers... not sure.

You know that Dispel Magic removes anything Breach could remove as well, right? Dispel Magic, if it hits, will remove pretty much EVERYTHING. The only exceptions are I think Spheres of Invulnerability and Spell Immunity: Abjuration (which will stop the spell completely). It even hits Liches and Demiliches, who can't be affected by the normal Dispel Magic spell (Mage or Cleric).

Inquisitors are hands down the most powerful paladins around, though not the most damaging. Doesn't matter much, though, given that mages and their defenses are pretty much the only actual challenge in the game.