Skip to content

The view from the outside

CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
So, I, like many of you guys, am an obsessive BG player, meaning that the people around me have soaked up a lot of the lore of the game despite never having played. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is my boyfriend's "summary" of the plot of Baldur's Gate:

"You are a man who lives in a town that is full of libraries, your best friend is a thief who is lawful good somehow. I think your father or master is killed mysteriously, probably master since at the end it turns out you are the son of the murder god, and presumably this master is some kind of powerful librarian. The library town is called Candlekeep, possibly because you need them to read in the dark. You leave to find out who killed him. Two trilllion side quests later (after looking through every single cupboard on the continent) you discover you are the son of a murder god and your enemy is your brother who wants to kill all the other murder god sons to become the new murder god. You kick the shit out of him, he dies permanently, and it is revealed there are like so many murder god kids, it's cray.

You go back home and some face stretched douche kidnaps you, kills some main character and generally laughs maniacally and is evil around you. He lets you go for some reason, possibly alzheimers as he is in actuality a really really old elf who used to be a god or something. Let's settle on demi-god as a good middle ground. Anyway he was outcast from the elf demi-god party for being a dick. But a minor dick in a way that makes you have sympathy for his character. And I think the punishment of eternal unelfhood or soemthing that he gets is a bit rough, I think they steal his soul or something. That sounds right, he is trying to get his soul back in a way that is unpleasant to people that aren't him. He tries to do that, you kick the shit out of him, he drops you into hell, you conquer hell, kick the shit out of your brother again (despite the fact that he is meant to be permanently destroyed because he is a murder god child, dunno what's up with that), but he dies properly this time I guess. Then you conquer hells tests based around the 7 sins, Then you get to face stretched dude finally and kill him properly too.

I have probably missed a lot out, including two trillion side quests, befriending wacky hamster man and befriending wide ranges of peoples whose annoyingness is inverse to their mechanical strength."

I'm honestly surprised by the amount he got right, though obviously he got...a lot wrong, or just plain left it out. Remembered a lot of odd small details though. I'm sure you guys can probably work out something about my playstyle from this :p

So yeah, do you guys inflict your BG habit on your family and friends, and how do they view the games?

Comments

• SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Ok THAT was entertaining!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Lol, that was a funny read! XD Hmm, my family generally doesn't show interest in games, except for my brother. (my sister is a gamer-in-training at the moment, heh) my brother has played through the Baldur's Gate games himself, but I don't think he's that passionate about them as I am. :p As for my parents, they generally think gaming is 'evil' and a waste of my time. XD
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Most people who haven't played BG or BG2 think I am a raving lunatic!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I love how Gorion is described as a "powerful librarian". The explanation of the name Candlekeep is also funny.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Man, I never viewed Irenicus in such a way... your BF made him look like a victim... but in a credible way! :o

My bro introduced me to the games actually. Both me and him are pretty much "Hardcore 100% knowers" of the game. We tried playing multiplayer but never got far because of our whacky choices (one thief and a bard, or a fighter/thief/mage and a fighter/mage/cleric playing together ISN'T a wise choice to come alive out of this game, trust me!)

Other than that, my dad... well, he views all games as satanic manipulation devices to make you a serial killer... my mom can hardly browse the internet without making her PC asplode in a nuclear blast, so yeah. Am kind of in a stuck position.

Luckily I got my esteemed Multiplayer partner @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud with me, and boy are we good at this game!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Cheesebelly: Now, now, let's not exaggerate. I'm still not as good as you. :p The good thing with playing a multiplayer game is that, aside from all the fun, you keep on discovering new places and hidden items. I got surprised quite a few times at the amount of hidden 'easter eggs' BG 1 has. :)
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I think this is a way better version of the plot than the BG novel.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Your boyfriend should have written ToB.. he couldnt have done any worse (heh heh heh...)