Skip to content

BG2:EE Good Proficiencies for Dorn?

Hi, looking for advice on where to assign prof points for dorn for BG2. Tried searching for topics like this already, but most of the existing ones are geared towards BG1, but if I've missed one, please link me to it.

Personally, I was thinking about assigning the points to something crushing for damage type coverage, like flail (for flail of ages) or quarterstaff (for synergy with 2HW proficiencies he already has). What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I picked staff for him in my current playthrough, and you're right, his 2 handed specialization is boss with a staff. There's so many great staffs around, it just made sense to pick for a third weapon. I've already got Viconia using the flail of ages, though.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    It depends a lot on your party. The flail of ages is a pretty darn tootin' good weapon, so to me it generally makes more sense to use it as a primary weapon on someone instead of a backup. If you don't have anyone in the party who will use a flail though, hey why not. The same logic would apply to staves and hammers.

In a vacuum of party information, because I'm super lazy I would probably go with staves to save effort weapon switching (as presumably you would keep a second weapon or shield to plop on to Dorn when he's one handing something, but you don't really have to). Also, there's a basic +4 staff available as soon as you have the money, and same for the staff of striking. The second option has limited charges, but if it's only a back up weapon anyway you might be able to get away with it. Hammers and flails both lack accessible alternative options.
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    Thanks for the comments @DrHappyAngry and @HandofTyr. I decided to go with staves with Dorn for his backup weapon. The +4 is being used elsewhere in my party, so right now he's got a +2 staff I picked up...uh, somewhere. It works pretty well for my team. :)
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    AH Staff is a great idea!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Halberd or Spear, imo.
  • mayhemmayhem Member Posts: 7
    As mentioned before, it depends your other party members. Though staff and halberd are good idea.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I gave him quarterstaff proficiency, since he has the two-handed weapons style and since there are several useful magical staves in the game. Some monsters are more (or only) vulnerable to crushing damage, so it's good to have for those situations.
  • GodmarGodmar Member Posts: 159
    One question: what are dorn's starting proficiencies? Two-handed sword, two-handed weapon style, crossbow and then? What proficiencies does he have if you pick him up at 9th level or beyond?
    edited November 2013
    @Godmar His next proficiency slot goes in Bastard Swords, which would be great if they could be used either one- or two-handed like they're supposed to. The BG2 Tweaks mod enables you to switch from one or two-handedness for all Bastard Swords in the game, which I'm thinking of trying out with EE. Has anyone installed it with success?
  • KilmantorKilmantor Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    I'd go for halberds or spears. There might be not so many good of them in the game, but their ultimate versions are extremely good (i.e. dragonslaver, the wave). Or go crossbow if you want to change from meele for certain situations.
    Five star crossbow with good bolts can be bad.

Staffs are okay but other twohanded weapons are better - furthermore i don't want my frontline to fight with quarterstaffs ;)

btw: can´he carry Carsomyr?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Kilmantor: Staves are actually pretty amazing front-line weapons. For a start they do blunt damage, which is the least resisted type of damage, secondly you can buy a +4 really early in the game (Staff of Rhynn). You also get the 'Insta-kill elementals' staves which are +2 and come in handy when fighting said creatures. In ToB there is the also the Staff of the Ram, which is ridiculously good.

Not wanting your front liners to fight with a staff for aesthetic reasons is one thing, and understandable, but I don't really think other 2H weapons are better overall.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I gave him Halberds right away. I had actually never made use of Halberds in BG2 before, since my main 2-hander dude is usually Keldorn. Dragon's Breath +4 and Wave +4 saw a lot of use, they're both quite excellent.
  • KastianKastian Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2013
    I like Halberd, as mentioned there are some nice ones, although staves is a fair pick too, honestly i'd say its between the two of those opposed to spears, as with staves you also get the stave that is a spear from xzar
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    For those that recommended halberds and spears ( @Schneidend @mayhem @Kilmantor @Madhax @Kastian), can you tell me where some good ones are? I've got a huge glut of staves (the +4 staff of rhynn, the +2 spear-staff, a regular +2, a +1, and a 1-handed quarter-club), but I don't think I've seen any good halberds or spears yet. Please remember, I'm asking for BG2, not BG1. Thanks! :)
    edited November 2013
    Dragons's Breath+4 (probably the best Halberd until ToB's Ravager) is in the Underdark. The Wave is in two parts, which you can only assemble after the Underdark. Pre-Underdark I actually can't really think of any of note.

EDIT: You can also buy the Harmonium Halberd from Deirdre in the Adventuer's Mart, and there is Duskblade +2 and Dragon's Bane +3. I think you get the latter from the Unseeing Eye quest, but I can't remember where Duskblade is.
    At 1d6+13 damage per hit, the Impaler is the best spear in SoA, IMO. I just gave Dorn one pip in Spears and his damage range with it is 22-27 hp. ^.^
  • I plan to develop his Bastard Sword proficiency to specialization while having him carry a shield in his inventory in case I need him to tank, and eventually I'll get pips into two weapon fighting and short swords for Kundane.
    @Kaigen Why Kundane? It's a simple short sword +2 (ok, it has speed 0, but that's all...). I think scarlet ninja-to, belm, crom faeyr or flail of ages would be better.
  • @Godmar Kundane is like Belm in that it grants an extra main hand attack, and in my current playthrough, Belm is reserved for my Kensai->Druid. Scarlet Ninja-to is unusable by Dorn, and Crom Faeyr is actually unnecessary, as Dorn has high strength to begin with and can cast Draw Upon Holy Might to boost it up further.
    Ah ok; it has been changed from bg2 vanilla. Good news :-)
    @Godmar: Kundane actually always granted +1 APR. The description just didn't list it before :)
  • mayhemmayhem Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2013
    @Lace @Eudaemonium , Duskblade can be found from temple ruins.

-- Also the Blackmist is good but gained in Under dark