Skip to content

Kivan awfully impatient.

So, I'm generally pleased with and enjoying Baldurs Gate: Enhanced edition after the 1.2 patch, but here is what I believe is a bit of an issue. Basically, It seems impossible to keep Kivan if you recruit him during chapter one, provided you dont't rush through chapters one and three to get to the bandit camp.

In my current game, I'm on day 35, with Kivan having been around for 27 days. Basically, I recruited him when I progressed to the point where it felt natural to pop over to Thalantyr's place the first time. At the present time Ihave reached and cleared the Nashkel mines and are just about to go and confront Tranzig when Kivan promptly looses his patience and leaves.

Since I have used Kivan during numeous play-throughs in the past and never experienced this before, i believe that something isn't working the way it should here. I would have expected him to eventually leave had I been messing around and ignoring the main storyline, but that's not the case here. Apart from the straight progression through Friendly Arm In, Nashkel and the mines, i have only really been to the gnoll stronghold and the cloudpeaks, as well as the ogre-infested hills north of the carneval. No chasing after Bassilus or Brage, no exploring along the coast, no persuing of Dorn's or Neeras questlines in the southeast. Whilst I can live with loosing Kivan, I still find this strange.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This is working as intended: Kivan is meant to leave after 20 days if you recruited him in Chapter 1. Before patch 1.2, he would only do so if you spoke to him after his timer ran out.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Ok then, I suppose it is not a bug. It is inconvenient however, since there's no way to tell beforehand. I totally get the idea that he is eager to get his revenge, but it is a bit of a bummer to see him leave just as you are getting ready to actually start looking for the bandit camp. For a first time gamer, I don't see how it would be feasible to manage within this time frame.

Here I was, just starting to enjoy the scout/burglar partition of labour between Kivan and Imoen, and had just invested in that Composite Longbow +1. Suppose I have to make do until I can replce him with Coran.
  • KrabatorKrabator Member Posts: 53
    This timer is JUST frustrating for the new player !
    Thanks to fix it !

Is it a gameplay enhancement ? >_<
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Yep, Kivan abandoned me as well. Oh well, there are plenty of ways to replace him, and I like cycling through a few people to see what works. But I do think that the fact that he is recruitable at all in chapter 1 is a minor flaw in the game's design.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @golingarf

Ah... I would've ran into that problem for my next playthrough if I didn't see this.

Erm... what happens if u remove him from the party? Does he leave forever? I had planned to grab him asap along with Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen and Neera, but then subbing him with Minsc for the rescue mission, before resuming into the Nashkel Mines. It'll probably take 30-40 days to get to the Bandit Camp... That's a really tight schedule! I wonder when the devs expected us to recruit him...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Heindrich1988 unless you spell every time you waste a spell, you can have Kivan until past the Bandit's Camp. But if you rest every time you use a spell (a thing I am sure you don't do) he'll leave quickly.
    Trust me, playing with a fighter (what means no sleep until Fatigue counts more than 6 :P) and him, I reached the Capm, and I picked him up even before going to FAI.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @CrevsDaak

I take a long time to get to the bandit camp because I like to explore everything else first. Once I've been to the bandit camp, the roleplay forces me forwards quickly towards the Cloakwood and Baldur's Gate.

I actually 'realistic rest', which means I do most dungeons without rest if possible. However, I also rest when there is no need sometimes, just to avoid travelling at night sometimes, or if it's raining.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Hendrich1988 I divide my exploring between Chapters One, Three, Five and Seven, sometimes I mess something so I end up doing Low Level dungeons at Chapter Seven and Durlag's Tower in chapter Five (I only did the first levels the last time, I wanted to play BG2:EE so badly and I already was lvl 9 fighter (ended up lvl10).
  • KrabatorKrabator Member Posts: 53
    In my game, Kivan has left the game after 39 days...

I don't abuse of sleep pauses... it's just that I prefer explore a lot before Naskell mines