Skip to content

Dorn's romance and character development *MASSIVE SPOILERS*

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
ok, so i finished evil playthrough all the way to TOB with dorn, viconia, hexxat, korgan and edwin.

first let me say, i'm now officially disappointed. dorn is an interesting character with lot of potential but:

romance track is WAY too short.
in those 10 lovetalks or so, that take about four clicks to go through, there are one-two that perhaps offer some substantial information. dorn reveals no background (let's ignore the bg:ee since it is a separate game), no layers to his character (ironically, he even warns about this in one of his lovetalks) and almost no worthwhile thought beside his power obsessions.
this is also the greatest weakness i see: he is so very one-dimensional with his desires and seems incapable of thinking beyond acquisition of power (as opposed to possible applications, meanings and forms of power, if that simply must be all he thinks about) and slaughter (since there is no other stuff to talk about in their uneventful journeys, is there).
it almost looks like somebody has cut out additional content that should have been there and left only stuff that concern this side of his character. like it or not, evil or not, time and casual fillers are necessary to make something feel believable, as original romances in bg2 have shown. i also find the talk with fighting a bit odd- nothing to lead to it and there is no conclusion to it (not necessarily apology).
after having sex, there is no morning after-comment, which also seems very artificial.

in short, all the important details that signify intimacy or evolution of relationship are simply non-present. i understand dorn is evil and is intended for evil charnames, but if those two are to be THE dark couple there has to be some measure of trust, intimacy and character development or adaptation (again, not toward good alignment). i imagine such twisted couple with all their nuances would be a real treat for a writer.
like i mentioned before, because of the described lack of the motivation and characterization i do not see why those two are lovers beyond occasional sex or where the final proclamation of love even comes from.
i understand if you wanted to avoid therapy sessions and wanted to pronounce the confidence and his focused character but the problem is that you offered nothing in return. TOB has TWO love-talks for crying out loud, it simply ridiculous (not counting the gromnir warning and final talk).

next point-where are interjections? i counted a comment here or there in SOA,, still substantially less than original NPC's, many missed opportunities (like kangaxx, underdark kuo-toa altar and many more evil or otherwise themed encounters) but only two or three in TOB. He didn't notice a single thing in watchers keep, really disappointing. i will spare the rant how interjections make characters feel alive and such :/

in the end epilogues- non romanced version seems fine i think, romanced version and bhaalspawn is not a god is sad and bitter-tasting, i was hoping they could be rulers somewhere but it is what it is. what it bothers me is that there is no third epilogue for romanced dorn and ascension to goodhood, where some hint or mention of him becoming your proxy or something to that extent, since that such an overarching point those two times he actually talks in tob. (btw, the last talk before mellisan is really good, i wish for more things like that). epilogues also completely ignore his fallen or patronage status :/

i find more than occasional lack of voiced first line in lovetalks disturbing since first line is ALWAYS voiced, so integrations is not completely seamless.

so in terms of character interaction if he had more content than original paper thin npc's in bg, he now has comparable less than original bg2 npc's. unfortunatly it doesn't "even out" in my opinion. these are separate games with separate interaction mechanics.

on the other hand, quests are very well done, the one in TOB seems a bit simplistic (although saemon part is GREAT. i only wish there was a way to watch him get killed and knowing it was bhaalspawn who set him up. excellent addition). it was nice to see him obedient to ur-gothoz and plotting to get out of the deal.
it actually is nice to have some evil quests to do, and i understand the quests are a part of character content, although they cannot be considered a compensation for lack of the lovetalks.
dorn has a GREAT voice actor and some great lines. those few times that he is good, he shows a lot of potential as a really interesting, charismatic, focused character. i liked how serious and passionate he seemed at times, i really wish that was explored and played with. PC responses are at times simply great i really, really appreciate the humor there. great writing.
EDIT: just to mention i really wanted to enjoy it and i really did a lot in some places, but there is not enough to make it a completely satisfying experience.

so yeah, i'm complaining because in this state, dorn remains a very good, promising sketch for a character with nice quests and nice evil addition to the party. if you look for another party member he is all well and good, but as a romance interest... not so much, he is simply not up to existing romances. i suspect i hold unpopular opinion and am in the minority, but i needed to voice my thoughts on this since i invested so much mental energy into the forums and the game over this year and half. i had expectations so maybe it's my own fault for getting dissapointed in the end.

on the other hand, does anybody plan to do a mod with additional romance content and flirt packs for the new characters? maybe even add some of the talks from bg:ee to bg2:ee to make characters feel more realized? have developers thought to release character expansions?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @trinit: Just out of curiosity (and bearing in mind that everything I know about the romance comes from data-mining - haven't played the game yet), what did you do for Dorn's SoA quest? Because

I think his personality does change a bit if you bind both Ur-Gothoz and Azothet - he acknowledges that his freedom mattered more than power, and if you turn down godhood, he's actually happy about it because it means you stay with him.

Also, did you not get the scene where

Dorn wants to have sex with you in Suldanessellar, and another party member replies "We're literally in the middle of a battle. No."
    ? Because I thought that was a perfect "Battle Couple" moment. :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited November 2013
    @shawne for SOA i made him a
    fallen blackguard. it's true, he realizes freedom has value and there is even a nice banter in TOB with hexxat to confirm this. unfortunately, this is not a subject of discussion or a matter of bigger importance as far as i saw in lovetalks, but maybe i should play the other path to see difference.
    i also miss an epilogue to acknowledge this status- if charname ascended and dorn has a patron, that is surely very different than dorn free to become charname's worshipper/avatar.

and suldanessellar scene is good
    (that "no, we're in the middle of the battle" is charname's reply, not NPC interjection)
    as there are other memorable moments. like i said, some of the stuff is really good but i think there is not enough of it to create a believable, motivated relationship. it all seems so very vague to me.

and since you're here, i'm very interested in your thoughts once you finish the game. i remember your thread with praises for dorn in bg2:ee. i wish i shared that opinion. :P

EDIT: added spoiler tags
    edited November 2013
    trinit said:

@shawne for SOA i made him a

fallen blackguard. it's true, he realizes freedom has value and there is even a nice banter in TOB with hexxat to confirm this. unfortunately, this is not a subject of discussion or a matter of bigger importance as far as i saw in lovetalks, but maybe i should play the other path to see difference.
    i also miss an epilogue to acknowledge this status- if charname ascended and dorn has a patron, that is surely very different than dorn free to become charname's worshipper/avatar.
    I actually thought that ending made sense either way:

Dorn's fate doesn't really hinge on whether he's a blackguard or not, since Mercy Whitedove is clearly formidable enough to capture him regardless. The deciding factor is whether you're physically there to rescue him, since godhood would prevent you from actively intervening on the Material Plane.
    trinit said:

and suldanessellar scene is good

(that "no, we're in the middle of the battle" is charname's reply, not NPC interjection)
    as there are other memorable moments. like i said, some of the stuff is really good but i think there is not enough of it to create a believable, motivated relationship. it all seems so very vague to me.

and since you're here, i'm very interested in your thoughts once you finish the game. i remember your thread with praises for dorn in bg2:ee. i wish i shared that opinion. :P
    Well, a fully informed opinion will take a while, since I'm waiting for "Ascension" before starting my first proper run. But based on what I've seen so far via data-mining, I do think Dorn's romance (particularly with a male Charname) had quite a few interesting moments:

1. So... am I alone in thinking the "Bleed For Me" scene was the Faerunian equivalent of a Vegas wedding? :)

2. In my (admittedly limited) experience, it's rare for a guy-on-guy RPG romance to actually accentuate physical attraction - Zevran's standards are so low it doesn't really matter if he's actually drawn to you or not, Steve Cortez falls for Shepard because he's kind to him, the thought doesn't even cross Sky's mind until the Spirit Monk actually brings it up in conversation, etc. But Dorn has no problem admitting outright that he wants sex. It's a rather refreshing approach.

3. I cannot wait to hear Dorn threaten both Irenicus and Melissan - proving once and for all that Evil romances are possible without fundamentally changing a character (ie: Viconia).

4. Like I said before, I do think the fact that Dorn is okay with you giving up a chance at divinity (even if you promised to share that power with him) is an indicator of his growth as a character - he starts BG2:EE still believing that power is the only thing that matters, but by the end of his storyline, he'd rather be with you than serve you as an all-powerful avatar.

Whether these details coalesce into a coherent "big picture" or not is something I'll only know further down the line... but taken individually, they certainly seem in line with the romance arcs alloted to the other characters...
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    Finished ToB couple of hours ago and now feeling myself a bit…odd. Evil boys and girls never get their happy endings and I’m ok with it, but after all those talking about sharing power and blahblahblah I was expecting something different. Changing patron wasn’t mentioned in epilogues too, like it doesn’t matter at all.
    Ran through TLKfile and find only 2 epilogues – with and without romance. And, well, with-romance-and-ascending equals without romance. After all those “yeah, I will share my godpower with you, Dorn” and “just ascend at last!” – that’s strange. I really thought that he will become some sort of an avatar of new God of Murder or his/her blackguard (and obviously get himself killed ‘cause evil boys and girls never get their happy endings), but not…well…what I saw at the epilogues.
    And I agree with @trinit – Dorn is cool character with wonderful voiceacting and interesting quests, but he lacks some more content. We love talking to our companions ;) I really really really wanted to ask what the hells it was at the Forest of Mir even if he answered like “nothing” (it would be very in-character)). And on so many other occasions.
    He’s got some great dialogues (maybe even most of them are great) and I really liked him but now after finishing my playthrough I’m a little upset by the lack of talking and information about Dorn. And by only 2 epilogues %)
    @Vargnatt: All romances have two epilogues, though; that's the way it's always been in BG2. If you become a god, the game treats your romance as if you broke it off with your love interest at that moment (since you can never be with them again). So for all practical intents and purposes, the love interest's story goes on without you.
    @shawne, but epilogues were different, not "character dies" and "character dies". And, well, with Dorn it would be more logicаl, if he had epilogues like "with-romance-and-without-ascending-&-without-romance" and "with-romance-and-ascending" - looking on the dialogues in ToB. I was saying not "moar epilogues" but "moar logic and difference", something like this. 'Cause the existing 2 are pretty much the same.
    It was late night and I could express the idea in a strange way %)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Did ascension add epilogues, because I was under the impression there was a romance ascension epilogue after I reloaded to see the ascension ending and it took my romance into account
    @ChildofBhaal599: Not as far as I know. It does add a third epilogue to Viconia and Sarevok, but these are dependent on alignment, not romance.

@Vargnatt: Admittedly, I kind of like the idea that Dorn's fate is inevitable one way or another - he is who he is, after all. The romance adds a bittersweet tone that works well given the way the relationship plays out in the game.
    @shawne i would disagree about the endings, if he is free to be your
    avatar/proxy, and that is quite a difference since there are multiple references in lovetalks to that outcome. even if he is mortal avatar i imagine doing charname's bidding should warrant different conclusion (even if still involving whitedove) and a reference on after-death status of dorn.

as for the other points you raise:

1. that scene is good, yes :)
    2. completely agree
    3. you won't HEAR him threaten irenicus, you will read it. that line is also not voiced unfortunately. i also do not remember him ever threatening mellisan directly. btw, changing viconia's alignment is completely optional in romance, she can remain evil and she features different reactions and lovetalks later on. unless you mean something else under fundamental change?
    4. i think that is debatable, it seems more to me he is okay with either option, not that he would prefer charbame remaining mortal. but, while he is ok with you refusing power, possibility is never (or extremely vaguely) discussed prior to that.

i was actually really surprised at the reaction when i tested this outcome, i would love a talk or two involving dorn's thoughts if charname would refuse the power, heck, it could be a whole relationship arc in TOB where he accepts your hypothetical decision because charname is more important than divinity (although charname should still desire reasonable mortal amount of power, else dorn breaks up).
    just to be clear, i'm not suggesting redemption, drastic changes to character or alignment changes.

so in general, i cannot disagree with what you say, but it is all underdeveloped and a bit underwhelming IMO. i don't feel the writing (of a relationship) is satisfying if i have to rationally draw easily refutable conclusions because i don't sense or feel what is going on between characters.
    but yeah, best to talk about this when you play the game. i'm open to be proven wrong. :)

@Vargnatt i know exactly what you mean and agree. :( TOB is seriously missing some content, interjections etc... and two epilogues are very underwhelming conclusion after all the insinuations in the lovetalks.
    edited November 2013
    trinit said:

avatar/proxy, and that is quite a difference since there are multiple references in lovetalks to that outcome. even if he is mortal avatar i imagine doing charname's bidding should warrant different conclusion (even if still involving whitedove) and a reference on after-death status of dorn.
    Exactly, if he died some epic death being an avatar of new God of Murder it would be much more interesting. I really wasn't expecting him to live, but after all talking about sharing godpower and epic quests
    I loved quest with the Book of Retribution! Leaving Lunia with "haters gonna hate" - it was most amusing :D
    it was so disappointing that he ended up like this :/
    @trinit: The option to forfeit Bhaal's essence doesn't come into play until you kill Amelyssan, though (because if you'd given it up beforehand, the power would've gone straight to her). That's why the Solar only tells you about it when you're the last one standing. So I'm not sure how you could have a conversation with Dorn about that possibility at an earlier point in ToB - as far as either of you know, Charname will either become the new God of Murder or die trying.

I think my issue here is that I can't really see any difference between Dorn being a proxy or a blackguard. In either scenario, he's alone and causing trouble, which inevitably attracts attention, which eventually results in his death. As far as I know, Faerunian gods can't make their champions immortal (can you imagine Lolth or Cyric having that kind of power?) Either way, he dies.
    @shawne difference is strictly for roleplaying purposes IMO it doesnt have to fundamentally change epilogues. and the argument that original charnames had two epilogues also does not stand right now IMO, since content and behaviour-wise new NPC's also ignore bodhi kidnapping which was an excellent plot device to establish trust between characters and some deeper relationship (much needed in dorn's case).

on the other note- does anybody know if dorn would be able to become some immortal servant/something of charname after death, as a favoured soul or something like that?
    okay, i was hoping to spark a debate but it seems people are satisfied with current state of affairs or they don't see this as primary issue. i truly hope in time there will be npc flirtpack for new npc's that will also attempt to expand upon new npc's. i think then i will start a new playthrough.

@LiamEsler i said i would play through tob and post my opinion on dorn so here it is. i would also like at least one developer to hear my ramblings before this thread sinks into obscurity.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    The only problem I have is that when your character is a Blackguard as well, there are no orders coming to you, and every conversation with Dorn has your character being completely naive towards Dorn being a Blackguard.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Aww this makes me not want to finish my Evil run :'(
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @trinit I read it, thank you! :)
    @LiamEsler i'm guessing you meant you've read it already in which case this response is a bit more diplomatic and generic than i had hoped for. but, i guess there isn't much to debate anyway if there is no new content planned for the current npc's. nevermind, i'll show myself out now... :P
    edited November 2013
    @trinit I could go into a detailed discussion about why we made certain decisions, but I'm not sure there'd be a lot of point (plus it'd be boring, and I'm sure it'd stem arguments about Dorn's characterisation), since it is what it is. If there are specific things you're curious about I can answer, but I'm looking for feedback in more of a helping-us-write-things-better-in-future way :)

It really is great to read feedback, good and bad, and I really appreciate you taking the time to give it!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Has it occurred to the OP that Dorn might simply be as shallow as a wading pool? Some people are. he is a Half Orc Blackguard. It is very reasonable that he is only about gaining power and killing stuff. that is a valid outlook for him. he's a Man. We tend to be not huge fans (as a generalization) of sharing our FEELINGS and emotions. We might just be all about the se... love...
    edited November 2013
    @the_spyder aaa, so that was the intention then? shallow stereotype? i guess you have a point there. :)

@LiamEsler yes, well i'm glad if it helped you. i also appreciate the intention and work done up to this point and wish you well in the future.
    @trinit: I think there's a difference between being shallow and being stereotypically shallow - Dorn is many things, but cliche isn't one of them (I mean, have you seen many bisexual half-orc blackguards in D&D?)

Personally, I never thought romancing this particular character would be the same as, say, Aerie - you could tell that even in BG:EE where you could kiss Neera or Rasaad, but not Dorn. Part of that probably stems from his backstory (both Kryll and Dorotea are implied to have taken advantage of him before Simmeon's betrayal), but it may also be because he prefers action to words.
    The long and the short of it (well, mostly the short of it) is that Dorn IS very shallow. He's attracted to the PC's power, rather than the PC her/himself. This is a running theme through many of his romance dialogs.

This changes a little in ToB, but not by a whole lot. :)
    @shawne many implication and "maybe's" there, not enough content to prove it IMO. bisexual halforc is new to bg series for sure and promising one at that (evil and blackguard, not so much) but ultimately, the idea alone does not redeem execution of it.
    and in regard to my previous posts, i did not even vaguely expect dorn to be comparable to aerie (or jaheira or anomen or viconia for that matter) but i did expect some insight even if into this "shallowness" of his, instead of him simply being underdeveloped.

BUT ironically, i see quite a bit of implication that dorn is not that shallow. unfortunately it also remains implication.
    edited November 2013
    just now saw @LiamEsler answer. i guess i have to take back my words. dorn is intended to be shallow and execution certainly supports this and i have to accept that. that could also loosely explain obvious lack of interaction in his case i guess.

while this gives me an answer i can cope with, it's a pity, really. i was hoping for intriguing or complex evil NPC that would make epic and worthwhile duo in evil playthrough, not for...shallowness, that already seems abundant in d&d world.
    again, i still think there is not enough content and there are some questionable design decisions, but it seems i had too different vision of this character along with expectations of somehow satisfying male non-straight romance, and shallow NPC wasn't part of that construction.

since i am obviously quite disappointed i don't know how else to vocalize this except whining in the forum until i get a reaction. i don't really know what else to say, but this has been a sad (for me) conclusion to expectation built over year and a half... i will return to bg2:ee in time since it is still a worthwhile game but i think i will focus my energy devoted to gaming elsewhere for the time being. thank you for the attention.

edit:forgot to tag and put some final thoughts
    Post edited by trinit on
    @trinit: I think you may have built your expectations up a bit too much - BG2 was never the deepest, most complex RPG ever in terms of characterization. Dorn's depiction is pretty much in line with characters who've been popular for the past 15 years: I mean, Minsc is shallow too, but that's not necessarily a point against him.
    edited November 2013
    @shawne yes i've noticed that, but minsc is not a romance interest is he? among other things i expected depth and length comparable to old npc's romantic track in the least, regardless of the form of characterization. so, even if i'm not happy with dorn's banal character i think my points still stand.
    @trinit, it’s not THAT bad) Dorn is shallow and straightforward but it’s just the way he is. Look around and you’ll see hundreds like him IRL. Not all of them will like killing things and being eeeeevil, but you get what I meant) Nor every person is a paragon of DEEP character. And, as @shawne said – all characters in BG was more like sketches. It didn’t made them bad characters – we love (or hate – that’s actually not bad for a character too. It means that he could cause some emotional response from a player) them as they are. But “shallowness” is not an excuse for the lack of content though ;) Talking is just talking, not necessarily about FEELINGS and so on. Dorn is just a little more emotional that the rock on the ground and it’s just the part of who he is. So it would be very strange if he suddenly became all emotional and was spamming you with “let’s talk about my feelings” XD

Reread post and now I think I just need 5 more talks about strength and charname being the coolest bhaalspawn, ‘cause I really like his “let’s kill some people and then let’s copulate” *facepalm*
    edited November 2013
    @Vargnatt i never said i want dorn to get sentimental. and where did i equal emotional with deep as implied? i merely hoped for more insight into relationship, character and reason for trust he places in charname. on the other hand term "emotional" includes extreme variety of states and motivations and we can hardly avoid some when relationship is in question.

*and by insight i mean developed in-game track, not speculations and explanations i'm perfectly capable of drawing myself.
    @trinit, I was more joking than being serious about emotions)
    And for reasons why he is with charname @LiamEsler already gave an answer – Dorn is attracted by charnames power not by charname herself/himself. And it’s normal for an evil character that was meant to stay evil while he is in relationship with charname. It’s even more normal if charname is evil too. They can be comrades with benefits or they can have worldburning passion for each other but the thing is – it will not last long. That’s how evil do such things. That doesn’t mean that evil couple doesn’t talk to each other and just kill people and copulate, but they just perceive their relationships in a different way than others.
    edited November 2013
    trinit said:

@shawne yes i've noticed that, but minsc is not a romance interest is he? among other things i expected depth and length comparable to old npc's romantic track in the least, regardless of the form of characterization. so, even if i'm not happy with dorn's banal character i think my points still stand.

It's all a matter of perspective - take Aerie's romance as a comparison point. It's simplistic and cliche: she's the textbook Wilting Flower Damsel In Distress, whose romance requires that you avoid casual intimacy which she initiates, and the first time you do have sex, she gets pregnant. Is that what Dorn's romance should have looked like?