Skip to content

Tell me why I should play Baldur's Gate 2.

ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
Hello everyone.

So let me start by saying that since I was 12 years old, when Baldur's gate 1 was new, I have enjoyed that game, and played through it dozens of times, with and without mods. I obviously love this game for its exploration, its characters, its combat and story. Now when I first got Baldur's gate 2 through the complete Baldur's Gate physical pack some years after the first one, I couldn't really understand all the hype about it.

To me, it seemed like a cheap plot twist to let the powerful bhaalspawn protagonist get caught by a mage, much, much stronger than him(/her)self. It kinda felt like watching Dragon Ball Z: Everytime Son Goku has trained for long periods of time, and become the 'strongest' fighter, some unheard of character always turns up with a billion more combat strength than himself. To me the protagonist had just killed Sarevok, a very intimidating, politically powerful and cunning character, who had, through a fairly complex plot to seize power, strived to win over the realm and murder his kin. Irenicus on the other hand is unheard of in the first game. Because of this he should not be anyone special. Not any more than Ragefast or some other semi powerful mage. This is not to say that powerful entities shouldn't exist outside the Baldur's Gate 1 story, but since Irenicus takes great interest in the Bhaalspawn, you should at least have heard about him somewhere in the first game.

Another problem I have, is the initial party composition. Now don't get me wrong, you can easily kick out Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen and so on, but the mere fact that your character alignment doesn't determine WHO your 'old' friends were ruins immersion and the feeling that the player can choose his own moral path entirely - as in the first game. In my opinion, an evil aligned character should instead find Xzar, Montaron and Shar-teel locked in those magical cells.

Many people claim that BG2 put a lot more personality into the NPCs. This is obviously true, but with BG NPC mod, this is no longer a problem, which removes this as a distinct plus in BG2.

Finally, as to not make this thread too long, the fact that Imoen so early in the game is teleported away by some city watch feels odd to me. I mean, she tried to help these mages fight a serious threat, even only with a single spell, and yet they feel they have to take her with them, and even agree to Irenicus' terms: the aggressor that they tried to put down in the first place. If they are so strict about their law enforcement, why do they agree to Irenicus' (the biggest lawbreaker) terms? Doesn't make much sense to me.

These are only main grievances, and I have others too. But now I'd like you to elaborately tell me what things make Baldur's Gate 2 such a great game for you. This is for inspiration: To me and, perhaps, to others who feel the same.

Note: I'm not talking about Throne of Bhaal. I consider that too linear, but otherwise more in line with the overall Bhaalspawn story - only Shadow of Amn talks please!

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Unfortunately, no one here can answer that question. My reasons for playing it--well, when I actually start playing and quit messing around with it--might be similar to other people's but no two people will have the same reasons. There are enough threads here talking about the game's good points and bad points that you will arrive at your own reasons, even if you conclude "I will never purchase BG2EE".
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    Well when you get caught by Irenicus, you only have 161,000 EXP maximum, and still no idea that you were a Bhaalspawn, so how would you have known about your powers at the time of capture before BG2?

As for the Cowled Wizards thing, they are a Lawful Neutral organization. Imoen cast 2 magic missiles, and even if she was helping, she was not a liscensed wizard so she was taken without any care about why she cast those spells.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I don't want to blow the whole plot, but you discover the motivation and reasons for what Irenicus did to you and Imoen late into SoA. It's great moments of discovery as you piece things together. He's actually one of the better thought out villains. Plus I always think of The Lobe from Freakazoid when I hear his voice.

The whole big badass showing up thing, it's fairly obvious that it would be that way since there were more Bhaalspawn out there. Granted things go a bit of a different route with Irenicus than the Bhaalspawn. I do hate DBZ because of it's predictability, if it's not another badass showing up, it's a training flashback. The thing is the Baldur's Gate series has an ending, whereas DBZ drags on forever. You'd expect to keep encountering more powerful things as you went along, otherwise things would get really boring.

As for why the guards gave into Irenicus' demand to take Imoen with them, he just slaughtered a huge amount of them like they were nothing. He then agreed to go with them, so they accepted his demands. You probably would too, in their shoes.

I never played the npc mod, so I can't say how well it compares to the more fleshed out npcs of bg2. All I can say is I like the NPC interactions a lot better in bg2. Add in the new NPCs and their banter and quests, and you've got a nice bonus.

The whole thing with the forced party at the beginning was obviously a limitation. Games at the time just didn't tend to import much and have it affect sequels. It's actually only pretty recently that games started really doing that. I just let it go or make up a story in my head as to why they'd be there.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Let's put it this way: You ever play KOTOR? Maybe Dragon Age: Origins? Those games were heavily based game-play wise off of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (original was made by the same company, Bioware). If you liked those games, you're probably gonna love this game.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Uh, what did you expect, to fight nothing but weaklings? Of course the new villain is going to be a new, stronger opponent. It's a game, first of all. It's also a story of external, physical conflict, so successive challenges need to be more difficult.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    Thalamond said:

To me, it seemed like a cheap plot twist to let the powerful bhaalspawn protagonist get caught by a mage, much, much stronger than him(/her)self. It kinda felt like watching Dragon Ball Z: Everytime Son Goku has trained for long periods of time, and become the 'strongest' fighter, some unheard of character always turns up with a billion more combat strength than himself. To me the protagonist had just killed Sarevok, a very intimidating, politically powerful and cunning character, who had, through a fairly complex plot to seize power, strived to win over the realm and murder his kin. Irenicus on the other hand is unheard of in the first game. Because of this he should not be anyone special. Not any more than Ragefast or some other semi powerful mage. This is not to say that powerful entities shouldn't exist outside the Baldur's Gate 1 story, but since Irenicus takes great interest in the Bhaalspawn, you should at least have heard about him somewhere in the first game.
    The guy is running a clandestine operation underneath a city far to the south of where the first game takes place. Even the anti-magic brigade in the city itself don't know who he is. It's not that inconceivable that you've never heard of him far to the north, is it?

Remember that you're still only around Level 8 or 9 when BG2 starts. That's pretty weak in D&D terms. Doesn't it make sense that after taking down Sarevok, you earn the attention of some much more powerful people?

Another problem I have, is the initial party composition. Now don't get me wrong, you can easily kick out Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen and so on, but the mere fact that your character alignment doesn't determine WHO your 'old' friends were ruins immersion and the feeling that the player can choose his own moral path entirely - as in the first game. In my opinion, an evil aligned character should instead find Xzar, Montaron and Shar-teel locked in those magical cells.
    It only decides who was WITH you, not who was travelling with you. It can be assumed that the evil aligned characters left after the events of the first game to do their own thing. Xzar and Montaron show up obviously having got involved in a scheme which didn't involve you, Viconia probably isn't one to stick around and soak up being the hero of the Sword Coast, Shar-teel ... well, she's Shar-teel. You get the picture.

Many people claim that BG2 put a lot more personality into the NPCs. This is obviously true, but with BG NPC mod, this is no longer a problem, which removes this as a distinct plus in BG2.
    I guess that depends on whether you see the BG1NPC Project as being of the same quality as official Bioware content. I can't say that I do. It's nearly 15 years and people are still having the same arguments about the Bioware romances (Aerie = whiny, Anomen = total swearword, etc). That indicates quality to me.

Finally, as to not make this thread too long, the fact that Imoen so early in the game is teleported away by some city watch feels odd to me. I mean, she tried to help these mages fight a serious threat, even only with a single spell, and yet they feel they have to take her with them, and even agree to Irenicus' terms: the aggressor that they tried to put down in the first place. If they are so strict about their law enforcement, why do they agree to Irenicus' (the biggest lawbreaker) terms? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    They go with it because they don't want to fight Irenicus if they can avoid it. He kills four of them as easy as blinking, and none of the rest of them really want to get blown into chunks that badly. When Irenicus says "Bring the girl and I'll come quietly", why would they refuse? Pretty good deal for them: either let 50 Cowled Wizards die trying to take Irenicus in, or have none of them die just for bringing in a seemingly harmless pink-haired girl. What would you choose?

These are only main grievances, and I have others too. But now I'd like you to elaborately tell me what things make Baldur's Gate 2 such a great game for you. This is for inspiration: To me and, perhaps, to others who feel the same.

Note: I'm not talking about Throne of Bhaal. I consider that too linear, but otherwise more in line with the overall Bhaalspawn story - only Shadow of Amn talks please!

If you're going to go with how you want an RPG to be, the non-linear fashion with which you get given a task in Chapter 2 (earn a lot of gold) and then go out to try and do it has never been topped. It's the perfect formula. You have to do something which you'd be trying to do anything (earn gold), and as you step out to find a way to make money, interesting quests just suddenly start throwing themselves at you. And when you tug at one of those quest strands, you encounter more quests. And so on and so forth. It's the perfect way of doing non-linearity in an RPG. And while you're doing these quests, the characters are developing around you. While you're persueing the money, the romances and friendships start developing with the characters in your party. There's always something going on in the game that you'll never be bored or stuck for something interesting to do.

And the villain is pretty much one of the most interesting villains in video-game history. He's not over-exaggerated, or diabolically twisted. He's just a calm, logical kind of evil. No expositions, no stupid over-confident mistakes, just a cold diabolical genius with a good reason for being the way he is.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Lol no, I wouldn't want to see Edwin on the table instead of Khalid. Why waste the games best spellcaster? No one cared that Khalid died because he was crap.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    edited November 2013
    Wow so many responses already :-). I would like to inform you that I already bought the enhanced game before I made this thread. I simply wanted to hear some inspiring things about the game, but you gave me that.

Thalamond said:

To me, it seemed like a cheap(..)

Remember that you're still only around Level 8 or 9 when BG2 starts. That's pretty weak in D&D terms. Doesn't it make sense that after taking down Sarevok, you earn the attention of some much more powerful people?
    Yes level-wise it does. But a bandit 'coalition' so strong that it can easily disrupt the iron production of a whole realm + almost taking over this same realm shows real strength to me. Unlike a mage who whines cause his loved one left him or something (dont take this seriously ;-) ).

Another problem I have (..)
    It only decides who was WITH you, not who was travelling with you. It can be assumed that the evil aligned characters left after the events of the first game to do their own thing. Xzar and Montaron show up obviously having got involved in a scheme which didn't involve you, Viconia probably isn't one to stick around and soak up being the hero of the Sword Coast, Shar-teel ... well, she's Shar-teel. You get the picture.

But Shar-teel was bested by a superior warrior that was enough to keep her around for months in the first game, why shouldn't it be the same in BG2?

Many people claim that BG2 put a lot more personality into the NPCs.(...)
    I guess that depends on whether you see the BG1NPC Project as being of the same quality as official Bioware content. I can't say that I do. It's nearly 15 years and people are still having the same arguments about the Bioware romances (Aerie = whiny, Anomen = total swearword, etc). That indicates quality to me.

This make good sense. I'll have to try it.

(..) If they are so strict about their law enforcement, why do they agree to Irenicus' (the biggest lawbreaker) terms? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    They go with it because they don't want to fight Irenicus if they can avoid it. He kills four of them as easy as blinking, and none of the rest of them really want to get blown into chunks that badly. When Irenicus says "Bring the girl and I'll come quietly", why would they refuse? Pretty good deal for them: either let 50 Cowled Wizards die trying to take Irenicus in, or have none of them die just for bringing in a seemingly harmless pink-haired girl. What would you choose?

You have a point. But on the other hand, they should have known that imprisoning him wouldn't work given his immense power.

Note: I'm not talking about Throne of Bhaal. (..)

If you're going to go with how you want an RPG to be, the non-linear fashion with which you get given a task in Chapter 2 (earn a lot of gold) and then go out to try and do it has never been topped. It's the perfect formula. You have to do something which you'd be trying to do anything (earn gold), and as you step out to find a way to make money, interesting quests just suddenly start throwing themselves at you. And when you tug at one of those quest strands, you encounter more quests. And so on and so forth. It's the perfect way of doing non-linearity in an RPG. And while you're doing these quests, the characters are developing around you. While you're persueing the money, the romances and friendships start developing with the characters in your party. There's always something going on in the game that you'll never be bored or stuck for something interesting to do.

And the villain is pretty much one of the most interesting villains in video-game history. He's not over-exaggerated, or diabolically twisted. He's just a calm, logical kind of evil. No expositions, no stupid over-confident mistakes, just a cold diabolical genius with a good reason for being the way he is.
    I still think Sarevok is more interesting, but that comes down to tastes, so not really something to discuss.

Thanks all, and especially @Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    There's not really much to Sarevok's character though. What do we really find out about him in Baldur's Gate? How much characterisation does he get? We don't see him for most of the game, all we know about him is he's trying to start a war, and he turns out to be your brother trying to get godly power. His motivations for doing any of it beyond just a mad lust for power are never really explored.

Irenicus has backstory and characterisation coming out the wazoo. And David Warner kicks backside voicing him.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Your criticisms aren't invalid. I prefer BG1 to BG2 myself, and I thought so when I first played them. When I played BG1, I could not get over what a ridiculous masterpiece of a game it was. BG2 is excellent, but I was never in awe of it the way I was for BG1.

I do think BG2 does several things better than BG1. It has better character development. It has more clever and complex battles. It is much grander in scope. You can personalize your character in even more elaborate ways. It has a more developed, if more contrived, plot. But yes, it is far more episodic and railroaded, and in terms of pure fantasy adventure and world immersion, and dare I say in terms of writing, it is inferior to the first.

I would recommend playing it because, while it may not be quite as satisfying at the first one for you, it is still magnificent and enjoyable, and it is a lot better than most every other game out there. Just because you eat the greatest meal ever made doesn't mean you shouldn't eat other delicious meals.
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    Thalamond said:

Hello everyone.

To me, it seemed like a cheap plot twist to let the powerful bhaalspawn protagonist get caught by a mage, much, much stronger than him(/her)self. It kinda felt like watching Dragon Ball Z: Everytime Son Goku has trained for long periods of time, and become the 'strongest' fighter, some unheard of character always turns up with a billion more combat strength than himself.

Ah, how many times have I said something like that... Unfortunately that's a common problem in many RPG and it's evident in a D&D campaign that goes from lvl1 to Son Goku-style epic warriors. Yesterday's final boss is today's common street thug and all that. It's however, less of a problem in BG2 than in KoTOR, for example.

Sometimes It requires too much suspension of disbelief (I know you said no ToB, but: Sarevok-like "guards" with +x weapons and armour *cough cough*), but you get used to it.
    Thalamond said:

Another problem I have, is the initial party composition.

Yes, true.
    Thalamond said:

Finally, as to not make this thread too long, the fact that Imoen so early in the game is teleported away by some city watch feels odd to me.

It's somewhat odd, yes, even more because when you cast a spell they give you a warming and the next time they'll kill you. However It's not a gamebreaking plot problem or something, latter you'll see Irenicus reasons and it's implied that the Cowled Wizards are corrupt, somewhat arbitrary and despotic. Also, @DrHappyAngry has given you a plausible reason (the wizards were terrified -and fascinated- of Irenicus but they had to apprehend him so they agreed to his terms). Besides, you need a reason to play, the abduction -and torture- of your childhood friend (and your own -revenge-) is a good one.

Thalamond said:

Because it's a great game. I prefer "low" level campaigns (1-8) -because I think they are more coherent and plausible- and as a final enemy I also prefer Sarevok, but BG2 is a great roleplaying game. It has great moments, engaging story, huge replay value, great characters (and nemesis), interesting quests, perhaps a bit too much of kill-hoard-sell to my tastes (but hey, its D&D), it ages very -very- well, and has a very well designed gameplay. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think you'll find that these grievances are minor nuisances.

• DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    You should play BG2 if you enjoyed Durlags Tower. BG2 is segmented into big, major quests like the temple of Amaunator or the Cult of the Unseeing Eye.
    There is still exploration in BG2, but it's exploring how to pass a trapped room or a magical barrier and not charting a mountain range. Towards the end of BG1 you were no longer threatened by nature. Only dangerous areas full of unnatural monsters, like Durlags Tower or that Werewolf island challenged you.
    Thus BG2 shifted its focus towards such dungeons.
    They also improved on other areas lacking in BG1. Your selection of NPCs shrinked, but each NPC now has several party banter occasions and comments on the world. If you enjoy that so much that you mod BG1, then you will enjoy BG2 as well.
    Thalamond said:

Hello everyone.
    This is not to say that powerful entities shouldn't exist outside the Baldur's Gate 1 story, but since Irenicus takes great interest in the Bhaalspawn, you should at least have heard about him somewhere in the first game.

You did. That spider woman namedrops him.
  • GSmith84GSmith84 Member Posts: 25

I totally forgot about that, she does but doesn't ever go into detail what falling out they had. Maybe she was Rielev's co-worker at one point. (Reminded me of Pearl in Blade. Although Pearl didn't give nearly as much of a fight.)
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Mungri said:

Well when you get caught by Irenicus, you only have 161,000 EXP maximum, and still no idea that you were a Bhaalspawn, so how would you have known about your powers at the time of capture before BG2?.

What do you mean you don't know you are a Bhaalspawn? You find that out in BG1 during the return to Candlekeep, read the letter Gorion left for you in his room, he explains everything.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    GSmith84 said:

I totally forgot about that, she does but doesn't ever go into detail what falling out they had. Maybe she was Rielev's co-worker at one point. (Reminded me of Pearl in Blade. Although Pearl didn't give nearly as much of a fight.)
    Pearl needed to have more Sword Spiders.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108

You should play BG2 if you enjoyed Durlags Tower. BG2 is segmented into big, major quests like the temple of Amaunator or the Cult of the Unseeing Eye.
    There is still exploration in BG2, but it's exploring how to pass a trapped room or a magical barrier and not charting a mountain range. Towards the end of BG1 you were no longer threatened by nature. Only dangerous areas full of unnatural monsters, like Durlags Tower or that Werewolf island challenged you.
    Thus BG2 shifted its focus towards such dungeons.
    They also improved on other areas lacking in BG1. Your selection of NPCs shrinked, but each NPC now has several party banter occasions and comments on the world. If you enjoy that so much that you mod BG1, then you will enjoy BG2 as well.

Thalamond said:

Hello everyone.
    This is not to say that powerful entities shouldn't exist outside the Baldur's Gate 1 story, but since Irenicus takes great interest in the Bhaalspawn, you should at least have heard about him somewhere in the first game.

ahhh you are right! I totally forgot. But still, its a vague reference. A real encounter with Irenicus (or some servant of his) would have been perfect for the feeling of consistency between the two games.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Thalamond said:

Irenicus on the other hand is unheard of in the first game. Because of this he should not be anyone special. Not any more than Ragefast or some other semi powerful mage. This is not to say that powerful entities shouldn't exist outside the Baldur's Gate 1 story, but since Irenicus takes great interest in the Bhaalspawn, you should at least have heard about him somewhere in the first game.

You are aware that game is based on a grand-scale universe? Bhaalspawn Saga is just a part of it like any other and there maybe lots powerful mages anywhere you may not heard of.
    Also if you have completed SoA, you should already know he doesn't use his real full name.
  • DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2013
    To add more to the unheard of powerfull individuals - that happens all the time. You never hear about Drizzt, and yet you meet him and he can kick your entire teams ass by himself when stripped of everything but weapons. You don't know who Elminster is except that you meet him from time to time to hear cryptic messages - and he is one of the most powerful wizards in the realms whose words shape destinies of nations. Volo, another epic level character you simply meet in an inn (you might have heard of him reading his books - but they in no way mention how powerfull he is) - his works are constantly censored by Elminster himself to make sure populace is not exposed to some dangerous information about the way world works. And remember how experience system works - for every hero there were hundreds of level-appropiate encounters that were dispatched on the way to power. I wouldn't be truly suprised if there were one or two more evil mages on irenicus-level you do not meet because they keep low profile and seek other avenues of power than bhaalspawn. Hell, if Irenicus kept low profile and didn't piss off Shadow Thieves noone would hear about him untill he showed at the gates of Suldanesselar, his victory complete and PC long gone rotting in his dungeon.

So in conclusion - knowing how Forgotten Realms work, it's the first game that distorts reality so that you are not killed by any of the high-level threats that region faces. And that's just because being killed by enemies far outside your scope of power does not make a good story. Being kidnapped by one might - hence BG2 beggining.

[edit] Oh, I didn't notice the part about Imoen being taken away. Well, it might hurt but it's NOT a plot hole. There are strict policies about unlicensed magic usage within the city - when they arrive what they see is two wizards without licence dueling on the street. Both should be arrested. Few moments later, and one of them turns out to be A-level threat, who resists arrest and is capable of killing dozens of trained law-enforcing wizards. Suddenly, he surrenders and his only demand is to take into custody the other law-breaking wizard. Normally fine would suffice for Imoens crime, but with bodies of their dead comrades around they are not going to give it a second thought, and the outcome is still within the bounds of law. Also, if you decided to play you might learn, that those law enforcing wizards are not exactly paragons of good and justice, and treatment of Imoen is just the first hint about that that you get ;)
    Post edited by Deltharis on
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    10 reasons:
    Reason 1 to 9: Games are not stories. Games are gameplay and stories are just the thread to advance in the game.

Reason 10: BG2's high level combats >>>>>>>>>>>>>> BG low level combats. And 80% of the game features revolves around combat.

It's a little sad that you are missing such a good game because it has some story flaws, something that any fiction story has. BG2 is BG1 improved. Much more variety, better character development and improved relationships. Not enjoying that just because imoen has been removed from party for 3 episodes is a bit sad.
  • Eck4343Eck4343 Member Posts: 38
    Some folks play this game mostly for the story and the characters, so I can see what the original poster is saying. If you don't like where the story is going it can be hard to become immersed and RP if that's your play style. However, I like the strategy and tactics side of it (not to say i don't enjoy the writing) and thought BG1 just got funner as I got more powerful. BG2 picks up where that left off, so your character starts off as a badass, and it does't take too long to ditch the characters you don't like and find a party you do. I really like the battles and strategy side of BG2. For some reason though, I haven't yet fallen in love with TOB...
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Yeah, I care far more about the story and characters, and general exploration and discovery, than the "tactical gameplay". I don't find it very interesting at all, and prefer more dedicated strategy games for my fix of that sort of thing.

Also, many games literally are pretty much stories, and not centred around a gaming challenge mechanic at all.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2013
    Some little spoilers ahead:

1- Irenicus is not "unheard of" in bg1, there is a mention of him at cloakwood :)

Also it's more logical this way, since he is miles away from baldur's gate, and makes enormous efforts for secrecy. Especially with that guild war going on, and he had nothing to do with events of the baldur's gate.

As others said, while not being par with planescape: torment, it has a good storyline and narrativity too.

2- Sarevok's past is explored a bit further in bg2: tob.