Skip to content

NPC Scripts for Party

DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
It's me again. Dreadful.

I've been completely enthralled by the wait to get BG:EE, and have been browsing through places for information that I might have missed over the course of multiple play-throughs, and stumbled upon something I never really noticed, let alone used; AI Scripts for my own party.

Now to prep me, is there any real reason to use these? I tend to find pretty good ways to maneuver my party, but something that this could help me with, would be mages. I have a horrible tendency to completely forget about offensive spells (both Cleric and Mage) that could make life a lot easier for me. Let alone any buffs and the like that might be to my benefit.

So, in short, are there any good vanilla scripts in the game (probably ToB stuff, as those will transfer most likely) for mages and clerics that would be worthwhile to use? Or should I just go ahead and get some player made ones instead? If the latter, which ones should I look into? Compatibility could be bad, but we'll see about that after release.

Comments

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Don't know about vanilla scripts (they tend to be bad) but you could have a look at these :
    - http://www.shsforums.net/forum/279-yovaneths-scripts/
    - http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54552-xparty-14-release/

No idea how they will work with EE, maybe the BG2 ones will be more compatible.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Looks like the first one is pretty dead, as the download links in the forums are out of existence. Thanks though! Anyone else?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There's been a request for customisable scripts or at least more specific/useful ones in the feature request forum.

In answer to your question: Standard attack is useful for simple frontliners. Does what it ways on the tin. Hit the nearest thing until it dies.

The rogue, cleric and mage scripts are more variable. You lose the ability to save spells for when you need them and can't specify when/how to use the other ones. It's nowhere near as dependable as manually ordering NPCs.
    Corvino said:

In answer to your question: Standard attack is useful for simple frontliners. Does what it ways on the tin. Hit the nearest thing until it dies.

The rogue, cleric and mage scripts are more variable. You lose the ability to save spells for when you need them and can't specify when/how to use the other ones. It's nowhere near as dependable as manually ordering NPCs.

I thought the whole kill-everything-nearby angle was on by default? I don't remember anyone stopping after slaughtering their foe. Turned out to be a Fordian institution on that end.

Guess that makes sense. Having them shoot all the spells I want in the order I prefer them is unlikely without me doing so directly, so your words of caution are well placed. If they DO end up getting a script editor, then it would make things far easier on this end. Thanks @Corvino
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    No worries. As with standard attack - they'll also move on to attack any visible hostile in range until there are none left. This can be a pain with caster/fighter multi or duals though, as they sometimes move to attack mid-cast and lose spells. Not exactly ideal.
    Corvino said:

This can be a pain with caster/fighter multi or duals though, as they sometimes move to attack mid-cast and lose spells. Not exactly ideal.

Nasty stuff. Maybe I struck lucky having missed the scripts. The best script is my brain! And whimsy.