Skip to content

Level 1 Mage against the world!!!!

Hello guys!,
I'm building a new kind of fighter/mage character, in which I level up the figther until level 21 (3.250.000 exp, 2 points for warrior abilities) and then, dual class it to a mage. Since leveling up the mage to 22 (max level, 3-5 mage spell slots depending on mage book level, 5 spare points for abilities) will make you lose so much proficiency points in useless things like sling, dart or dagger, I have to level up this mage from level 1 to 22 in one go, which means i need to earn 4.750.000 exp WITH A LEVEL 1 MAGE, so he can put the proficency points on usefull things instead of crappy ones when leveling up.

Any of you tried anything like this before? any advices?

I already started the solo mage part and I have to tell you, this's the biggest challenge I've been into since I started playing this game. I don't know how will I even stand a chance against Firkraag...

I tested this build looooong ago with BG2 using the clua console. The result is amazing. Time Stop + greater whirlwind is so OP you wouldn't believe it.

Comments

• Shiv7nShiv7n Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    Seems like you never tried kensai/mage then ;>
    THAT IS what you call OP. And that is worth the time, trust me ;)
    Firkraag? You won't have problems killing him solo.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    You're dual classing Waaaay too late. Better to be a multiclass if you're gonna tale that many levels in both classes.

Also if you're struggling with a fighter / mage, you're definitely doing it wrong.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Best of luck. Me I'd just go the Gnome fighter/illusionist route :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

You're dual classing Waaaay too late. Better to be a multiclass if you're gonna tale that many levels in both classes.

Also if you're struggling with a fighter / mage, you're definitely doing it wrong.

elminster said:

Best of luck. Me I'd just go the Gnome fighter/illusionist route :)

Tell that to my Swashbuckler/Mage lvl 16/8 still in BG:EE, in BG2 she reached Mage level 20 still in Chapter Three, *THAT* is fast farming, and lvl16 was too early :P Just Dual-Classed my Fighter (Wizard Slayer specifically) :D:D:D:D:D:D with 4M XP, still in Spellhold :P to Thief, he is going to *BURN* you, *BURN* YOU TO ASHES!!!
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    You should've saved up all the quest xp (complete quest objectives with fighter, report success later with mage) and spell scrolls possible before dual classing. Also avoided doing encounters with your fighter that your lowbie mage could handle. It takes planning to do a smooth high level dual class :P
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Crevs try that again without uncapped XP. 16 rogue levels on a dual class is a waste, you are close to, get missing out on thief HLAs, and you don't need more than 10-13 rogue levels to make a capable thief / mage dual class.

However dualing at level 21 means you would never reactivate your first class until you are at the very end of ToB, so what's the point in dual classing that late?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Kick everyone out of your party and memorise every scroll you can get, over an over. That'll go a good way towards getting those levels back.

However if you are ending up with roughly equal levels then multi-class is a better choice.