Skip to content

The Impaler: Typo (not too important)

OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
edited January 2014 in Fixed
It's funny, though.

In the description of the spear: "The Impaler", it describes that it is supposed to be a +3 spear. In the damage portion of the description, it says that the spear does 1d6+13. Mechanically it behaves like a +3 spear. Clearly the descriptions are handwritten.

The item code for "The Impaler" is: SPER08 (I don't know if this helps the developers, but... I'll provide it hoping make their lives a bit easier)
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The Impaler actually does an extra 10 piercing damage.
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    Really!? No wonder you call it the imp-aler, count me imp-ressed!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited January 2014
    @Jalily
    edit: also @Illydth, maybe i'm supposed to alert you, dunno :)

With all due respect, 'special ability bonus of 10 piercing damage' alongside standard 1d6+3 is not the same as 1d6+13

Some pertaining facts:
    a) the original description was 1d6+3, 10 bonus piercing; this has been altered
    b) the weapon currently works the same as ever

Thus i affirm the @OcculusX 's bug report of an erroneous item description:

I. EXPECTED BEHAVIOR': as per item function and consistently with other weapons' descriptions, the Impaler's description properly distinguishes between:

1) main damage: this is damage dice (1d6) + enhancement bonus (3)
    *** this component is always affected by multipliers (which are crits and backstabs) ***

2) special ability: in this case, this is just more piercing damage (10)
    *** this component is never multiplied and just gets added on top *** (just like foa's elemental damage)

II. CURRENT BEHAVIOR': contrary to the current (and perennial) item function, the description presents the item as an absolutely brutal weapon (1d6+13), almost on par with the staff of the ram - one that can deal a minimum of 2x(1+13) = 28 dmg on critical hit, when in reality it can only do a minimum of 2x(1+3)+10 =18 dmg
    ...also, the reason for there being a separate amount of damage which always appears in the combat log is now completely incomprehensible.

Alternatively, a different. "reverse" bug report can be made:

I. EXPECTED BEHAVIOR'': as per current item description, the impaler has a +13 enhancement bonus
    *** this means that min damage it can do on crit is 2x(1+13) = 28 ***

II. CURRENT BEHAVIOR'': contrary to the current item description, the impaler "seems to have" a +3 enhancement bonus and +10 special ability damage bonus, and doesn't dish out nearly as much damage as advertised

In any case, it's not such a minor bug imho. It's annoying to me as a long time player that such an unnecessary alteration has been made, the original game had it right!
    Post edited by bob_veng on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25217/report-bg2-game-text-errors-here#latest

And this is working as intended, we don't want a Spear+3 to deal so much damage, don't we? And also you can't backstab with it.
    edited January 2014
    huh? elaborate pls
    edited January 2014
    This spear worked this way since vanilla and no one wants to modify it. The same applies in the description.
    EDIT: oh, it was changed for the EE, well, hope they change it back.
    you should read before posting, i'm greatly offended now :)
    bob_veng said:

you should read before posting, i'm greatly offended now :)

Sorry.

np :)

also, somebody should seriously address this, it takes a second and it's a really annoying bug (the discrepancy between the item description, the combat log and the damage displayed in the character screens)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Next update will show it like this:

Damage: 1d6+3, +10 piercing damage
    Damage type: Piercing
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited January 2014
    Moving to "Fixed" since @Jalily has the text stuff managed already. :) That way I don't come back across this and open a bug report on it like a Doofus. :)