Skip to content

my review of BG2EE, share yours! (minor spoilers)

elementelement Member Posts: 833
so baldurs gate 2 Enhanced Edition has launched and ive played the entirety of SoA.
I now feel i have reached a point that i can comment on the experience. So even though i'm fairly certain no one will read this and entirely certain no one will care i thought id put my thoughts up on the forum.

First i would say that the meat of the game is good. Of-course It was fantastic in its original form and i feel the
EE does serve up some legitimate improvements particularly in the menus and UI. The zoom function is excellent and the improved size of the game screen is aesthetically very pleasing. Even if i do find the transparent Text box uncomfortable to read at times. The new equipment is fun and pretty original i particularly enjoyed the equipment that has effects pertaining to wild magic. The voice talent is easily comparable to that of the original game

In terms of how well it runs, i'd say its been fairly good i did have consistent crashes at first but since the patch ive maybe had one or two. Aside from that the only major bug i had was Aerie constantly halting her actions to say a generic character phrase. Of course there has been a myriad of smaller bugs such as enemies not loading, door graphics bugging out and inventory icons being weird. Although i must admit these were mitigated to some extent when i had a hilarious bug in which Neera seemed to indicate my bard, her and Phaere had a threesome(who says bugs cant be fun).

The new content is very good from what i've seen, well written and it fits in enough that it doesnt feel to dethatched from the main game. The new area art is both flavourful and in keeping with the aesthetic and looks great especially with the day/night cycles. The new content while good is in some ways disappointing to me though as 'from what ive seen' could also be from 'what i will ever see'.The new content seems to very heavily favour an Evil aligned player characters. Both Dorn and Hexxat are exceedingly evil and while i do not fault the desire of the Devs to balance the alignment ratios, i can fault them for attaching all of the new content to characters. Evil characters can easily play every ounce of the new content even Rassads quests allow the player to play as evil as it puts very little emphasis good as opposed to its evil counterparts. Equally Neera's quest the better of the two i've played can also be easily played by any alignment. Dorn and Hexxat on the other hand are so polarised that if your taking your character seriously there just doesn't seem to be any way your ever going to see there content with a good or even in many cases a neutral pc. In a similar vein the Devs had the courage to add Same sex romances although im heterosexual i applaud the effort and consider it a huge step forward. Unfortunately though both of these come from the evil characters ruling it out entirely for me and i suspect some others. There in is my problem with the new content while it is of good standard unless I make a character explicitly to see it im never going to see a good deal of it. For me this is disappointing as it was always the biggest draw of the EE.

Overall id say its a quality product which i have enjoyed a lot thus far despite having the experience marred by some disappointment. I would certainly never go back to the standard version again. and would encourage my friends to pick it up if interested

how do u feel about BG2EE from what you've played? please share your opinions id be glad to read them! : ) (wall of text optional)