Skip to content

In your opinion: Which Monk is the best monk and why?

GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
As the topic states, I'm curious which Monk you all think is the best, and why. I'll vote for standard monk because I like both Stunning Blows and Quivering Palm, but I'm curious what others think.
  1. In your opinion: Which Monk is the best monk and why?75 votes
    1. Standard Monk
      34.67%
    2. Dark Moon Monk
      33.33%
    3. Sun Soul Monk
      32.00%

Comments

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I haven't used monks much but these guys seem a lot more relevant then there counterparts
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    While the kits add interesting flavours to the Monk class I don't think either really bring anything that makes the standard Monk outdated.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    The new monk kits aren't bad and definitely add variety, but I still prefer the original. I find myself missing stunning blow more than I find myself glad to have the newer abilities.
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    The original is still the best.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Love this kit - yeah, you lose quivering palm, but you get a lot in return. Also, great flavor.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    I think the vanilla is the strongest but I would rather play the DMM
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    The Sun Soul Monk does have the very distinct advantage of helping out a fair bit in the gimpy low levels of the class. Not enough to take it up to par, but more fun to play than a standard monk.
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    Dark Moon - Frozen Fist 2cold damage/hit for round/level
    Sun Soul - Flaming Fist 2d6 damage/hit for 5 rounds
    Standard - Stunning Fist for one round that stone for one round.

Every ability cant overcome protection from magical weapons but works against stoneskin. cold/fire can be negated with proper protection but stun cant.

Flaming/Frozen works better with whirlwind. Stun cant be used with.

In my Opinion Sun Soul offers better kit abilities then Dark Moon. Dark Moons only good one beside Frozen Fist is Mirror Image.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The additional illusion spells and frozen fist ability makes this kit one of my current favourites. They are also rather effective in espionage and thus give more interesting ways to roleplay than other monks.

Also: In Shar we trust!
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Does Dark Moon Monk even scale good later in game?
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

They do get detect illusion, which will allow you to dispel every illusion a la True Sight.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited November 2013
    mylegbig said:

They do get detect illusion, which will allow you to dispel every illusion a la True Sight.

My assassin has this. So good.

EDIT:Especially since my only Mage is Edwin, who can't cast True Sight.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    how do you activate detect illusion?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Ryofu said:

how do you activate detect illusion?

Detect Traps button.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    oooh lol. wow i did not know that after playing the BG series for so long lol
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Why can't I vote for "dead monk"...? :(
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2013
    I like Sun Soul Monk. Sure you miss out on Quivering Palm and Stunning Blows, but since Sun Soulray is currently bugged its actually very useful (if you aim it properly). Especially against undead.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    They're the coolest.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Dark Moon currently seems the most fun. But the alignment restrictions of all Monks severely limit my enthusiasm to actually play one.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    elminster said:

I like Sun Soul Monk. Sure you miss out on Quivering Palm and Stunning Blows, but since Sun Soulray is currently bugged its actually very useful (if you aim it properly). Especially against undead.

I don't think its a bug that needs fixing. I like it. Its much more useful like this than by being single-target.