Skip to content

Best party for balance between roleplaying and powergaming

XixorXixor Member Posts: 4
Hi All,

I wanted to start a thread that might get people talking about what combination of party members they are planning to play when BG:EE comes out.

I need opinions and here are my criteria:

1) Between 4 and 6 party members (I tend to lean more towards 4 though, not sure if its possible to get a balanced party with only 4 members though)
2) Plan to take party through end of ToB (when BG2:EE is released)
3) Want to roleplay, but also want to have most/all bases covered with regards to tactics, balance, etc. (example - I won't go out of my way to pick up NPCs right out the door from Candlekeep, but would prefer to get them earlier rather than later)
4) Want CHARNAME to be on the more powerful side by the end of ToB (I have heard kansai dualled to thief is powerful late game?), this isn't supposed to be a uber soloing character, just one that will have some really cool abilities near the end of the series
5) Probably want to include at least one of the new NPCs being released with BG:EE

* note * I don't necessarily have a problem with weak or under-powered parties near the beginning of the game (as in the entire series), but I do like to see the party have really good balance and higher power near the end of the series.

Discuss...

Comments

• DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    I've always used a party consisting of the following:

PC: Paladin - Cavalier; I always felt that my dude needed to be a proper tank. Fighters are kinda boring in my opinion, so a paladin was a good choice. Inquisitor or Cavalier works out even later on in the game!

Imoen: She's obvious, even later on, when she turns into a killing machine.

Minsc: I just can't help but love this guy! He's my token enjoyment.

Dynaheir: She's with Minsc, and I like her mage abilities. Sadly won't last for long, so you'll have to replace her later on.

Viconia: I know she's evil and all, but her plight always drew her into my group. Even in SoA she get's f**ked, so my instinct to save the damsel in distress kick in. She might not like the whole "saviour of the world"- business, but she won't leave (or hasn't based on my experience) the party even with a high Rep.

Kivan: I always want an archer to join my group. I tended to switch him for Mazzy in BG2 when he's not around.

I don't know about the new NPCs, so I can't say whether I can recommend them or not. I'll probably go through their quests with them, but I have my doubts whether I'll have them for the long haul. Maybe if I'll fix up an evil party, I might get Dorn. Wild mages, nu-uh! Monks are the scary unknown for me, so I'll dabble at some point - apparently they get strong in BG2, so might be worth the effort to drag the Monk around!

That's my party of awesome. It's literally a party every day and night. I always play with a smile on with these guys. My two cents are there.
  • XixorXixor Member Posts: 4
    Yes, Minsc is a must, I forgot to add that. Who do people replace Imoen with during the first 3/4 of BG2? Yoshimo?
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Yoshimo I'd guess, or Nalia. She kinda sucks though, and she's awkward and whiny. I always just run without a thief until Imoen gets into the frey!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    A pure, dual or multi thief with an evil party. BG1 has plenty of solid evil NPCs to fill any role (Kagain, Xzar & Montaron, Edwin, Shar-teel, Viconia) & now Dorn too.

It boils down to BG2 where a still-advancing thief is very useful. You've also got a solid party of pure-class NPCs who are decent early on and okay late game but slightly less powerful than some multi/dual combos. With the addition of a new evil melee (Dorn) it becomes even better. The evil NPCs are also a characterful bunch with Edwin (brilliant story arc) and Viconia (one of my favorite BG2 relationships).

The good & neutral guys have a wider set of choices but evil are more cohesive and work together well. Good & neutral do have more dual/multi choices which can become cheesily good late game (Aerie, I'm looking at you).
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    It depends a lot on CHARNAME's class, but as a Fighter type...

BG1: Imoen (dual-classed to mage around level 5), Viconia, Edwin, Coran, and Kivan would probably be the "best" party, overall. In my opinion, at any rate.
    BG2: Imoen (replaced with various characters, usually Yoshimo to have a slot free for her), Viconia, Edwin, Keldorn, and ... Aerie, I suppose.
    TOB: Imoen, Viconia, Edwin, Keldorn, and Sarevok.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well balanced party with four members, with Minsc being a must?

PC - Berserker dualed to mage (or cleric) :

Depends on what you'd like to play. Cleric = tank class, mage = high damager, speed killer.

Minsc - Main hard-hitter. Keep him with two handed swords in BG1, BG2 is different. If you're the damager, maybe make him a sturdier character still using two handers. If you're the tank, make him fast - dual wielding + ranger = good!

Imoen - thief, possible support mage. Again depends on your choice. If you're a cleric, you want her a mage in BG1 already, otherwise it's not a necessity. Swap her with Yoshimo in BG2 if you're a mage, if a cleric then with Jan. In the end it depends on whether you like more Jan or Imoen. Both are great, but Jan is restricted to not use necromancy spells.

Cleric or Mage depending on your class choice. Here it's up to you, if you follow my advice. If you're a cleric, stick with a powerful mage in BG1 already. Edwin, Dynaheir or Xzar do the trick well. Be careful about Edwin and Minsc, save VERY often and reload if they get to each other's throat.

If you're a mage, then go with a solid cleric. In BG1 I'd go with Branwen until you get Yeslick, make a swap and continue with him until you finish the game. In Baldur's Gate 2, it depends on your taste - Anomen if you want some annoyance in the party, Jaheira if you want an alternative healer (better not, druid spells aren't often enough for the entirety of the game), Viconia for a GREAT pure healer (keep her out of the front line) or Aerie for a combo healer caster (in which case it's great in both games).

For spellcasters in BG2, either Edwin, Aerie or Jan/Nalia. I'd rather go with single class mages, so Edwin or Nalia.

Of course, with two slots free, you can swap the three new characters for completing their respective quests. Either way Berserker > Mage or Cleric can very much become stronger than any NPC in the game. Just roll the stats enough to get a 92+ ;)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2012
    Well, if you want a consistent party throughout the entire trilogy, that narrows the pool considerably down to Imoen, Jaheira, Edwin, Viconia, Minsc, Dorn, Neera and Rasaad. The other NPCs don't carry over to the next game.

Imoen is arguably the most plot-relevant NPC in BG2 and ToB, and she sticks with you no matter what you do, so you should take her along unless your PC is a thief. (Yoshimo is the typical replacement for Imoen since they're mutually exclusive party members: you lose her and he shows up, you lose him and she shows up.)

The remaining options can be broken down into function and alignment: Evil PCs will want Edwin for magic, Viconia for healing and Dorn for front-line offense, while Good PCs can take Neera, Jaheira and Minsc (or Rasaad) to fulfill the same functions.

The final makeup of your team will probably depend on your character's own alignment and class; just be sure to avoid the kind of character conflicts that could result in intra-party fighting (ie: don't put Edwin and Minsc together, it'll end badly).
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    With the appropriate items and equipment, any combination of NPCs can win it.
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58

It depends a lot on CHARNAME's class, but as a Fighter type...

BG1: Imoen (dual-classed to mage around level 5), Viconia, Edwin, Coran, and Kivan would probably be the "best" party, overall. In my opinion, at any rate.
    BG2: Imoen (replaced with various characters, usually Yoshimo to have a slot free for her), Viconia, Edwin, Keldorn, and ... Aerie, I suppose.
    TOB: Imoen, Viconia, Edwin, Keldorn, and Sarevok.

But Keldorn and Viconia do not "get along". Also Viconia picks a fight with Aerie too. So that's also off the table.

If you want to roleplay as a Paladin, I recommend you to stay off evil types (Vic and Edwin are the best of their classes but still evil).

I think your best bet for a Lawful Good Aligned and a balanced party is; YOU (Paladin), Immy (dual-class to mage), Coran, Yeslick, Kivan, Ajantis. This party lacks ladies, however :)

For BG2 and TOB, I would recommend taking Keldorn, Viconia (you can TURN her from her evil ways), Imoen, Minsc (Replaced by Sarevok, who then turned to Chaotic good) and Cernd (Druid Spells are really good and Jaheira is really annoying)
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    My plan is for a good party

Myself-Druid
    Neera-wild Mage
    Raasad-monk
    Imoen- thief and Mage. I'm not sure what level is best to turn her.

I'm not fully sure the best. I would like Minsc but I would have to bring his witch. That is to many mages. Any good ideas who to add? I was thinking maybe kivan but I don't know if I need more melee.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If you plan to carry the party to the end of ToB you're restricted to the NPCs that go for BG II:

Minsc - Ranger (can't be played with Edwin in BG II)
    Jaheira - fighter/druid (do not use Xzar/Montaron with Jaheira/Khalid in the party in BG)
    Imoen - thief/mage
    Viconia - cleric (do not use Keldorn with her in BG II)
    Edwin - mage (can't be played with Minsc in BG II)
    Neera - mage
    Rasaad - monk
    Dorn - blackguard

The info between (*) means that those characters will fight each other after a time and someone will be killed.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited October 2012
    Also there is another good choice when your main is a fighter / paladin in vanilla BG:

- you as Fighter or Paladin (with sword/bows)
    - Imoen, as thief until she maxed find trap skill and open locks. Then dual her to conjurer.
    - Khalid as your second tank (he rocks when you give him the ogre gloves +18/00 strength) (he's good with bows too)
    - Yeslick who replaces Jaheira when you encounter him (to keep Khalid in your party without killing her, just get her petrified by a basilisk - you'll use a scroll later). He's very good with tomes of wisdom wen you gain them.
    - Coran as your main ranged fighter/scout (furtivity + open locks).
    - Dynaheir as the second mage (still can use the most useful spells).
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    as others have said if you plan to take your team through to ToB then your options are rather limited. however you can still roleplay with those that appear again: Ajantis, Coran, Safana, Faldorn, Garrick, Montaron, Xzar, Quayle and Tiax turn up in BG2 and Branwen and Xan are used in tutorial. Therefore...you can be like "why did you split on me in Baldur's Gate? i got totally got by this bad-ass mage!" or something similar.

i did a play through once with a fighter (dual classed to mage lvl 6), coran, branwen, imoen, xan and garrick (why the hate for garrick?)

it was fun, different and although challenging not by any means impossible. then i finished ToB with Viconia, Sarevok, Imoen, Mazzy and Minsc.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    I plan to take all the new NPC's and rotate between each of the others in my free 2 slots. I will end up filling the 2 slots with Tiax and Imoen im sure as you need a good cleric and thief for balance (FYI my char will be a fighter/mage)