Skip to content

Increase overall difficulty and Changes to New Kits

After completing BG2:EE play through after latest patch there are two important changes I would like to suggest in future patches.

1. Compared to BG2 (with just BG2 Fixpack installed), BG2:EE overall difficulty is quite easy, namely tougher fights are now quite possible to win with introduced NPC's and kits with less efforts. I just feel the challenge of even simple fights are turning less interesting while the hard ones are actually much covered by the new areas or content. The new content is definitely awesome and fun to experience.
By all means make BG2:EE difficulty more integrated to the level of new content and also the challenge in every chapter.
2. Lastly some of the new kits introduced although nice but easily breaks the difficulty even further due to the nature of overpowering for the tougher fights. It doesn't scale very well to the challenges and makes the game way too easy.

In short, the difficulty in BG2:EE picks up for old players and hopefully remains as great as old BG2 in future.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited November 2013
    I disagree. The new characters and kits are no more powerful than what is already in the game, or what you can create with your PC (Sorcerer, Fighter/Mages etc.)

Dark Moon Monk / Sun Soul Monk / Rasaad - play 95% the same as a regular monk.
    Blackguard / Dorn - Poison weapon is really good in BG1, but it's not all that in BG2. Otherwise plays pretty much like a regular Paladin.
    Hexxat - even with those stats, shes a single class thief....
    Neera - liability at low levels, very powerful at high levels, doesn't compare to Edwin, needs an INT boost before she can use level 9 spells (right? Outside of Nahal's).
    Shadowdancer - very nice ability with HiPS and interesting HLAs. I think it might be the best thief kit but losing traps is a huge blow.
    Dwarvern Defender - excellent tanking ability, but that doesn't exactly break the game.
    Dragon Disciple - pretty much worse than a Sorcerer.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    The difficulty is fine the way it is. Experienced BG2 players can certainly roll right through most of it, but newer players are still challenged by it, even at lower difficulty levels. Keep in mind that you are not the only one playing this game.

If you desire a more challenging run then there are plenty of mods out or nearly out that allow you to get that challenge, mods like Ascension and SCS are great examples.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    When I came back to BG2 after about 10 years I cheated myself a dual-classed Kensai(13)/Mage at around the start of the game and then proceeded to get wiped several times by the spiders in the graveyard district. If you don't know how to play the game it doesn't matter how powerful you are, you will still get horribly slaughtered by almost anything the game throws at you.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Blackgaurd Poison still destroys mages in Bg2, makes them a complete joke.
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    Sceptenar said:

The difficulty is fine the way it is. Experienced BG2 players can certainly roll right through most of it, but newer players are still challenged by it, even at lower difficulty levels. Keep in mind that you are not the only one playing this game.

If you desire a more challenging run then there are plenty of mods out or nearly out that allow you to get that challenge, mods like Ascension and SCS are great examples.

I should explain it more clearly the problem about difficulty in BG2:EE has two major impact from:
    1. Overall challenge of the old areas (i.e. Not including newer additions) feel somewhat reduced (as correctly stated for new players). I felt that original BG2 (w/o MODS but with simple fixes and patches) was way more challenging. Even for that time the difference is very easily noticed for current release of BG2:EE. The Developers can also present the new players with same feeling of old BG2 Difficulty. I am aware about mods but my request is for unmodded game challenge.
    2. The new kits should be also approached with the same idea of blending their usefulness in scale of between not too powerful for older areas while the newer areas are tweaked for a challenge not that easy.

I certainly get the feeling there are some imbalances which was not the case with BG2 even when it was released solely by comparing both games difficulty.

This is just a suggestion and in no way a criticism of any sort.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Ehhh... I've been playing this game for years and I still suck. Love the atmosphere, story and characters thoguh, lol
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

*Dorn and Blackguard CHARNAME see a mage.*
    *Poison Weapon. Crossbow. Bow.*
    *Dead*

Except for those damn liches!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645

*Dorn and Blackguard CHARNAME see a mage.*
    *Poison Weapon. Crossbow. Bow.*
    *Dead*

Except for those damn liches!

Assassins could already do the same, and even better, assassin / mages can poison MMM and Energy Blades. Just because you're discovering some new cheese all of a sudden doesn't mean that more powerful cheese wasn't present before, just that you missed it before.
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    Mungri said:

Assassins could already do the same, and even better, assassin / mages can poison MMM and Energy Blades. Just because you're discovering some new cheese all of a sudden doesn't mean that more powerful cheese wasn't present before, just that you missed it before.

Blackguards are much better at it because they can poison everyone on the screen with a ranged weapon by the time the duration runs out thanks to their good thaco. Assassins, on the other hand..

That said, I don't think any of the new classes or NPCs are too strong or make the game shift in terms of difficulty.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    ryuken87 said:

Neera - liability at low levels, very powerful at high levels, doesn't compare to Edwin, needs an INT boost before she can use level 9 spells (right? Outside of Nahal's).

She needs a temporary intelligence boost to learn (not use) level 9 spells. Its really a pretty minor setback for her.

As for the OP I really don't think the difficulty has been changed all that much. Unless NPC's are being wonky with their scripting (or have some kind of other bug) all the old areas should be the same difficulty as they were in BG2.