Skip to content

ok who actually uses Neera

2»

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I use Neera in my playthrough and I have no regrets... yet.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    a magic missile turned into 8 squirrels which i used to distract a bear while i healed. enough said,

i like neera not only does she get more spells that a normal mage she also gets the unique level one spell that can turn into ANY SPELL she knows. i dont care what you say but that's the ultimate utility spell you cant argue, having 5 spells that are your complete spell book means you have an answer for every situation, ever, all the time
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

I'll be honest, I've never liked her character. Wild magic is too much of a liability, and I just find her character, voice, mannerisms and development annoying. She just doesn't fit in with the setting at all, in my eyes.

Despite knowing I'm going to regret this, I'll bite: how does she not fit in with the setting?

she isn't supposed to fit in, she is a wild mage! to be honest she fits in more than xzar, an insane necromancer. in real life he would be sectioned / killed the moment he was born pretty much >_>
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Ayiekie said:

I'll be honest, I've never liked her character. Wild magic is too much of a liability, and I just find her character, voice, mannerisms and development annoying. She just doesn't fit in with the setting at all, in my eyes.

Despite knowing I'm going to regret this, I'll bite: how does she not fit in with the setting?

A few people find her too... uh, I guess "contemporary" would be the word. She talks more like a real world person than a classical fantasy character. Doesn't bother me at all, though, makes her unique.
    "Heya! It's me, Imoen! Whatcha want?"

Quite a few of the characters use "contemporary" dialogue all the time. What makes Neera any different? (Acknowledging that you don't have a problem with Neera, it's more generally asking.)
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    She's way too much like Nalia... They're both just selfish, bratty, and annoying.

I saved her life, and put up with ALL her crap. All while asking for no reward, and this is what she says...

SPOILERS.

Nalia: "No! It's not fair! I've traveled so far and overcome so many obstacles, all on my own, and he just disappears!"

Me: "Things wouldn't have turned out so well if you'd been all on your own."

Nalia: "Oh, of course you helped. I haven't forgotten that it's all about YOU."

Next time I'll let the Red Wizards take her.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @TheGraveDigger Yeah, her quest really turned me off her and I booted her right then and there. If she's such hot stuff then I'm sure she'll have no trouble on her own, right? I'll be taking the equipment we gave her, thanks... oh sorry, we sold the staff too and I seem to have misplaced the gem bag.
  • fireleapfireleap Member Posts: 1
    @Ayiekie Agreed - a number of other beloved characters dialogue and characterizations ("Butt-kicking for goodness!") don't fall in the "classic fantasy character" category (a sidekick "space hamster")... but I'm not naming names.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

she isn't supposed to fit in, she is a wild mage! to be honest she fits in more than xzar, an insane necromancer. in real life he would be sectioned / killed the moment he was born pretty much >_>

Um not to pick too many bones but… I'm going to pick a bone with this.

Necromancers in FR run a high risk of Insanity, due largely to trucking with forces beyond mortal comprehension, the mysteries of life, death, rebirth and undeath, etc. Its an integral part of the FR concept of the necromancer, and its why they have such a high Wisdom requirement (16). They need it in order to not become insane. Clearly Xzar failed at this, but you seem to suggest that he was born insane, which is highly, highly unlikely. He's an agent of the Zhentarim and is clearly sane enough to send regular reports to his superiors in Baldur's Gate about your party without you ever noticing.

Basically, Xzar likely developed his insanity at some point in his later life as the result of contact with some eldrich horror, and insane though he is it doesn't actually impact him doing his job in the slightest, which is to be an investigative agent of a ruthlessly evil underground network. Thus there is is very little reason for him to be sectioned or killed, at least for being insane (he's more likely to be sectioned or killed for being a Zhent, and he's clearly savvy enough to not let that out in a hurry).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

There was a review on BG2EE recently, where the reviewer summed up my feelings almost completely. Their criticisms lay mostly with the new characters, as they felt they hadn't been implemented very well. I know some may disagree, but the more I though on it, the more obvious it seemed. With the exception of Rasaad and Dorn, anyway.

@Magnus_Grelich Would you be able to point me to said review?

She's way too much like Nalia... They're both just selfish, bratty, and annoying.

I saved her life, and put up with ALL her crap. All while asking for no reward, and this is what she says...

I did a bit of an essay on Neera in the other thread noting that. It's part of why Neera is neutral, and not good. Though, nothing wrong with you not liking it - I dislike Jaheira because her dialogue grates on me, everyone's different.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Everyone should use her. She the best thing to come around since Aerie.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Neera: "Oh, of course you helped. I haven't forgotten that it's all about YOU."

Oh how that pissed me off. Was seconds away from giving her the Cursed Girdle of Masculinity, letting her fist fight an ankheg and reform partying her corpse away. Gave her a chance to redeem herself by not being a bitch in her next conversation though. She managed.

Doesn't that make it a well-written character though? If you can get pissed off at a fictional character then the writers have done something right, having been able to invoke an emotion (anger) in the audience.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    fireleap said:

@Ayiekie Agreed - a number of other beloved characters dialogue and characterizations ("Butt-kicking for goodness!") don't fall in the "classic fantasy character" category (a sidekick "space hamster")... but I'm not naming names.

@fireleap

http://minscandboo.com/quotes/My-hamster-does-not-like.WAV
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Doesn't that make it a well-written character though? If you can get pissed off at a fictional character then the writers have done something right, having been able to invoke an emotion (anger) in the audience.

Hmm, I guess so! If that was their intention, to make her annoying. But that kind of makes it okay to hate her, right? At the very least, if she's supposed to be obnoxious I feel somewhat justified in looking the other way while the Red Wizards turn her into a gem bag for me, much like the glee I get from killing Noober.
    If you think it's cool to let someone die because they're annoying, then yes, that somewhat justifies you. You and Dorn should get along fine, anyway. :)
    @Eudaemonium i agree but i was making a joke. im merely saying that in a fantasy setting and a pseudo medieval setting, anyone that even hinted at insanity were usually killed on the instant. Xzar screaming in a high pitched voice "stop touching me!" in my opinion is a sure way of getting accused of being insane :P

im just saying in my opinion she fits into society more than xzar would, because when not casting magic neera is just a normal if eccentric girl, being a half elf people would normally confuse eccentric with curious. (although everyone mistakes her for a full elf) Xzar's insanity if he did no magic would stand out like a beacon to the people, yes he may get his job done but the nature of insanity is random, he is good at his job but he also seems to favor speaking in a little girls voice, just because he is good at his job doesn't reduce his effect on the common people