Skip to content

Hexxat quest in Throne of Bhaal(Spoilers)

I just got the Casque of Imprisonment and went to the labyrinth with Hexxat in order to subdue the lich. I got to the part where there is a room that has a necrotic barrier, so Hexxat is the only one that can pass through the room. At this point however I am stuck because it seems no matter what I do, I can't open any of the doors to progress further into the maze, all the doors are locked and can't be opened by picking them and I haven't seen a key or anything along those lines. Am I missing something here or did I get bugged?

Comments

• naisiemnaisiem Member Posts: 4
    This is the area I'm referring to if that helps at all.
  • naisiemnaisiem Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    Well one door opened after fiddling with closing/opening all the other ones but not much progress was made..
  • adormituladormitul Member Posts: 63
    I think it is a bugged area I used cheats to progress,
  • jkwhitedogjkwhitedog Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2013
    Same problem here, anybody got a solution?
  • jkwhitedogjkwhitedog Member Posts: 10
    adormitul said:

I think it is a bugged area I used cheats to progress,

And how do you do that?

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Its a door puzzle :) There is no bug. When one door opens, another closes. And when you close a door, another one can open. You will have to leave one NPC behind to toggle the first door to proceed Hexxat to the 'OFF' switch.
  • SicodSicod Member Posts: 2
    How do you even use the Casque of Imprisonment. Its just in my inventory and I cannot use it to travel anywhere.
  • SicodSicod Member Posts: 2
    Oh my Helm....all you have to do is talk to her....well I am silly.

• XellosXellos Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2013
    How do you even get past the first area? I don't see any secret doors and I can't get into the rest of the maze. I fought Phreya, but I'm still stuck in that initial set of rooms in the top right.

Edit: nevermind, door FINALLY showed up. I fail. :(
  • yrockyrock Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    So, I understand that this is a puzzle. But can anyone explain how it works? I feel like I've tried every combination of open/closed doors and all of the locked doors are STILL locked.

Any hints or just a clear explanation of how the process works? I feel like I could figure it out, except the rules are never clearly explained.
    Post edited by yrock on
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    The open/close doors are paired off. There are the two where you're introduced to the concept initially. If you look at Naisiem's picture, the two middle open doors are paired with the closed doors straight past them. That's all of them.

I initially couldn't get those open until I killed the mage surrounded by spiders. It's possible I did something else in the interim to make them open, but I'm not sure what it would have been.
    edited December 2013
    So if I'm understanding you right, if those two middle doors in the image are closed, I should be able to open the two doors beyond them? Because that is not the case for me. They remain locked no matter the position of any of the other doors. Am I missing a step?
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2013
    It's not that if those middle doors are closed, you *can* open the two beyond, it's that the two beyond *will be open*. One must be open and the other must be closed. So what ends up happening is, the two front doors open up, allowing you inside, and when you go down one hallway and open the next door, the one behind shuts, locking you in. But you have to get those front ones open first.

How do you do that? Like I said, when I killed the mage with the spiders it happened, but I'm not sure if that was the actual trigger. I don't recall the exact order in which I did things, so it could possibly be shutting off the necrotic barrier as well, or something else I'm not thinking of. Sorry I can't be of more help on that point, but I was as surprised as anyone when I wandered over and they had suddenly opened up.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2013
    I'm still stuck on the first part, after the initial fight with phreya, any hints on where the secret door is?

Edit: just found it.
    Perhaps I'm missing some sort of trigger for the puzzle or something, but I'm still having no luck. If I'm understanding your explanation, I should be able to open the two doors beyond the first two in the middle of the image. However, when I try to they just say they're locked. I went back and closed the doors I went through- still locked. No change. The only doors that seem to respond are the first two, the ones before the barrier. In order to get into the barrier room I closed one door and the other opened- but no other doors seem to be reacting in this manner.

So either I am missing something, or my game is bugged.
    FINALLY figured it out. The doors operate as SpiffyMcBang described, but only AFTER disabling the barrier. The door to the room with the barrier switch (down the bottom/southern path) operates using the same rules, but you have to close the doors using the first door for it to trigger correctly (if that makes any sense). So, just make sure you close the doors behind you has you head south to the switch room.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    @madmaximus @Xellos Would you mind posting here where the first door is? I still haven't found it. Thanks
  • jago1877jago1877 Member Posts: 6
    I believe this to be a crock I think the quest is bugged because I have quite happily opened all of the doors and closed all of the doors available and none of the locked doors that cannot be picked have opened or closed. I have spammed about with various combinations and still nothing has opened.

I believe this is a bug bg2ee is full of them and this one reeks of ill testing, sorry to be a nerd rager on the whole I like the project hence I am playing it but this one ticked me off. Either that or I have found it just an incredibly frustrating part of the game that I have not enjoyed at all to the point of it being game breakingly bad.
  • jago1877jago1877 Member Posts: 6
    If someone could break down door by door starting at the necrotic barrier point or even upload a video even better of the sequence so i know for sure that would be great. Also I am sure many others that are suffering my annoyance would appreciate it too.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2013
    Lol not surprising. Given the level of Overhaul's writing skills (and by that I mean worse than 13-year-old fan fiction), I wouldn't expect their programming skills to be any better.

What's REALLY funny is when they claim that they "tested this stuff thoroughly," and yet on my very first casual playthrough, I manage to find missing or invalid reply links, break the entire sequence of conversation triggers, and spawn multiple copies of the same boss. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's just bullshitting us.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    It's definitely not bugged, it's just a difficult puzzle.
  • theoxguytheoxguy Member Posts: 2
    Xellos said:

How do you even get past the first area? I don't see any secret doors and I can't get into the rest of the maze. I fought Phreya, but I'm still stuck in that initial set of rooms in the top right.

Do you mind saying how you found it? I can't get it to show up, and I'm not the only one.
  • blkholsunblkholsun Member Posts: 3
    LiamEsler said:

It's definitely not bugged, it's just a difficult puzzle.

I'm fairly certain it IS bugged. My understanding of this is: you leave somebody behind in the room just prior to the necrotic barrier, so that you can shut the door leading into it. This supposedly opens one or both of the doors that lead out of the room with the necrotic barrier. For me, this does not happen. The ONLY "connected doors" seem to be the two just prior to the necrotic barrier room. I sent one guy back and opened and closed every door all the way back to the beginning of the tomb, and that didn't do anything either.
    I also just ended up consoling my way through it.

• ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    They're all connected not only the first 2. Sometimes you have to use the first together with the third and then just another combination.
  • blkholsunblkholsun Member Posts: 3

They're all connected not only the first 2. Sometimes you have to use the first together with the third and then just another combination.

This is my point: THAT'S the bug. For some people, me included, they do NOT seem to all be connected. There is no apparent way to open either of the two closed doors in the necrotic barrier room. Opening and closing doors that can be encountered prior to this point does nothing.

• garibaldi4garibaldi4 Member Posts: 1
    How to get to the 4th part ? I've just killed the spider guy and cannot find the way futher. I mean the upper left part of the map. Help please ;)
  • crimson_jestercrimson_jester Member Posts: 1
    theoxguy said:

Xellos said:

Do you mind saying how you found it? I can't get it to show up, and I'm not the only one.
    you can find the hidden door at the far left side of the room between the last pillar and the end of the map
    hope U can find it now :)

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @blkholsun Can you shoot your savegame with this issue to liam.esler@beamdog.com? I'll take a look :) Cheers!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

How to get to the 4th part ? I've just killed the spider guy and cannot find the way futher. I mean the upper left part of the map. Help please ;)

Sorry for the thread resurrection (BRAINS!)... But I'm having the same problem as above and google brought me here.
    Help an evil friend in need...

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I thought the door puzzle was bugged at one point but it wasn't you just had to open and close both of the first two doors sometimes while hexxat worked on the inside ones, and you have to backtrack a couple of times until the barrier comes down, then just kill the lich. Backstabs with staff of the ram = win.