Skip to content

More NPC Slots - The one thing that would make me buy the Enhanced Edition

LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I'm actually amazed this hasn't been mentioned before. Or if it has, my search-fu is weaker than I thought...

It sounds like there are a lot of cool new things in EE, but with the modding community ten years old, a lot of it has been done before.

Ported into the BG2 engine? Check.
Fixed the bugs? Yep
More NPCs? Pick from dozens of mods with high-quality additions to your party.
More quests? Been done before.
High resolution/widescreen? Double-check.

I bought the BG1 and BG2 collectors edition years ago, so I've already supported the developers. But I was to buy EE, what's the one thing that hasn't been done with the engine (but which the GEMRB environment might finally achieve?) More NPC slots.

There's no roleplaying reason why you're limited to six characters. Why do you have to abaondom someone just to help Eldoth rescue Skie from Baldur's Gate? Why do you have to leave one of your party of six behind after you finally make it through the Gnoll fortress and find that the only way to "rescue" Dynaheir is to add her to your party?

BAD! No cookie for you.

I'd like twenty NPC slots, please. Especially now you're introducing three new characters to bring along. I'd be happy with a dozen or so, at a push, but I'd rather have all I can get. Feel free to scale the difficulty to the number of players in my party - In fact, I'd prefer it, since I like a challenge.

Looking forward to the release!

L.

Comments

• CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I wouldn't neccessarily want it by default since that would be a balancing nightmare, but I would like the NPC slot upper-limit to be soft-coded so that people who wanted to put the time in to mod it could. Then again I think everything that can be should be softcoded :p
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    From what's been mentioned this is extremely hard coded into the game so it is unlikely to be changed in the near future if at all.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I would love to have this feature softcoded. To Hell with balance and challenge, I want my own personal army!

From what's been mentioned this is extremely hard coded into the game so it is unlikely to be changed in the near future if at all.

I have heard this as well that it was hardcoded several times. If they manage to softcode it, then my hat is off to them!
  • BaldurBaldur Member Posts: 54
    For the sake of having a fun ulterior replay where you just decide to bodyslam the game, I'd love it for this to be softcoded or something that's moddable. I remember doing this in NWN2 since it was something you can tweak in the game console, so I marched right into the final boss with a small army - which, frankly? Made more sense to me. Your opponent was an unkillable demi-god created through mythallars and the fall of Netheril. Old school magic forged that beastie. Old school magic gone BAD. There's no way you and a pitiable group of three or four extra people can stop that. Ya need an army!
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Kukaracha said:

Heinrich said:

I would love to have this feature softcoded. To Hell with balance and challenge, I want my own personal army!

To hell with the game, I just want to do what I want!
    We should also create an FPS mode and introduce a +1 M-16 in the game!

No, I dislike this idea, for balance, storyline and replay value depend on a small party.
    Taking more than six people isn't just logically possible in the game universe (which your analogy isn't), I would argue it's more logical than randomly throwing out someone you've been travelling with for months because you already have 5 buddies and like this new guy you've met. Obviously for balance reasons it has to be that way, but don't act like the idea is somehow illegitimate or crazy. Not sure what you mean about the storyline, I always have real problems justifying in RP terms why I didn't take all the help I could get to fight Sarevok.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    the game is already solable with some serious effort, 3-manned with little trouble,what's the point of playing with an entire army on your side? and balancing with more party members will be complicated as it devalues the individual's power and makes gearing up slower.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    ... I don't know if anyone else follows Trent Oster on twitter... but here's a quote I'm sure you guys will enjoy: "We looked into a seventh party member slot and the number of times party members is hard coded was staggering."

This either means that they had the intention of adding at least one more slot and had time constraints, or because it was so hard coded, they couldn't change it (the latter being doubtful). I couldn't find a way to link it so that you could see it, but he said it on July 16, 2012...

The makers obviously thought about doing this too... I think it would be a grand idea, with the choice to have a meter and choose how many party members you want to use at the same time going from... let's say... minimum 3 and maximum 7. Then have them just have this dial somewhere in the options menu so that people can more proffeciently choose their difficulty level.

It might unbalance the game... but at the same time, players might decide to have that many people because of Role Playing reasons. I for one LOVE having different people with me of all walks of life, just to get the most drama out of it. For instance... Aerie and Korgan together... absolutely a wonderful thing to behold :)
  • dandydandy Member Posts: 35
    Hardcoded+balance issues

Trent Oster tweeted that it may be in the future, for those who wish to have larger parties (like myself) as an option, but it's extremely difficult to get past the hard coding, the sheer amount of it

I already had a thread on the subject =/
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Would it even make the game easier? I mean, all your exp being distributed amongst 12 people instead of 6...

I've always had a full party for BG but when I played BG2 with a party of four (including PC) it was FAR easier than any time I'd done it with a full party. Four chars is enough to cover all the roles and they gain experience substantially faster.

I mean, every time I play the game, I've got at least a couple of NPCs who aren't all that useful but who I've dragged along for the banters and interactions. Aerie comes to mind. Man she sucks. And she's annoying. But put her with any evil NPC? Hilarious.

OH! In BG1? Well, I like to bring along Khalid, even though he's pretty crappy. And Tiax. Tiax is the definition of "Guy who sucks but you want to have along anyway." Tiax is what I would want an expanded party limit for.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188

the game is already solable with some serious effort, 3-manned with little trouble,what's the point of playing with an entire army on your side?

Just for the fun of it. Does everything have to make sense or be balanced in order to be enjoyable?

Anyways, I would also like it for roleplaying. For Baldur's Gate 1, I would play my usual six member party and be able to pick up any extra NPC's to complete their side quests. For Baldur's Gate 2 I would like to keep my favorite NPC's as well as try out different combinations of party members. For me, I always have to have Minsc, Yoshimo and Jaheira in my party and at least a 7th slot would make a big difference.

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    I think it would be fantastic as my friends love roleplaying in videogames and being able to be a big party would be great.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i like the 6 people party, but that would be interesting. i really wonder how the gameplay would evolve with more people just like @MilesBeyond said. although i wouldn't take 15 people in the party i would go for eight i think.

besides, remember the xp cap in bg. it would be nice at least to extend the limit of party members so by the endgame with all the quests done, all of them would reach the maximum xp.

and i agree softcoding is the way to go (just warn the people they won't reach max level if they have all the npc's ingame in party at the same time).
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2012
    I can understand that people have different reasons for disagreeing or agreeing with this. Personally, I mention it for two reasons: Roleplay and experience.

I've already mentioned the roleplay aspect. There's no practical reason why you would turn your friends away and make them wait for months. I usually ended up leaving my favourite chracters like Imoen in the wilderness somewhere because I knew they wouldn't vanish and I could get them back later.

The second reason is experience. Not experience points, but the experience of exploring the Sword Coast and seeing the reactions and banter of all the Bioware and Overhaul together. I really don't want to have to replay the game seven times in order to see the banter between Neera and the other twenty-five NPCs - I'd prefer to have them altogether.

It's impractical to have any combination of NPCs that you want in your party. Generally, you need at least one thief to deal with traps, and at least one cleric for support and a mage for dealing with certain enemies that need magical attention. This is less of a problem in BG1, but is definately true of BG2. You CAN run a party of six fighters to see what it would be like to have Minsc, Shar-Teel, Kagain, Khalid and Ajantis together, but it's a very different experience.

I'm not saying that you should always have twenty NPCs with you, but I'd certainly like the option.

L.
    Post edited by Luge on
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    Communard said:

Kukaracha said:

Heinrich said:

To hell with the game, I just want to do what I want!
    We should also create an FPS mode and introduce a +1 M-16 in the game!

No, I dislike this idea, for balance, storyline and replay value depend on a small party.
    Taking more than six people isn't just logically possible in the game universe (which your analogy isn't), I would argue it's more logical than randomly throwing out someone you've been travelling with for months because you already have 5 buddies and like this new guy you've met. Obviously for balance reasons it has to be that way, but don't act like the idea is somehow illegitimate or crazy. Not sure what you mean about the storyline, I always have real problems justifying in RP terms why I didn't take all the help I could get to fight Sarevok.
    The RP problem is that a party of 6 people is perceived differently than a "whole army". You're supposed to travel around, move fast, sometimes with discretion, and seek a certain cohesion within your group. Everything I just mentioned is impossible if you drag all NPCs along with you.

Not only that, but the six-members system simulates the fact that some people will not travel together or do not wish to participate in anything that resembles more a moving circuse than an adventuring party. Of course, in game they can't simply say "no, I won't come", but you can imagine that Viconia may be reluctant to join if you have three paladins already in your party. There is but a small number of nuisances the characters can cope with.

That, plus balance and replay possibilities (if you can see every banter you can see in the game in just one playthrough, you might not want to play again), makes me think that this is a terrible, terrible idea.

However, a seventh slot... maybe?
  • KendosanMastersKendosanMasters Member Posts: 10
    I agree to make the limit soft coded.

It's a lot of fun having the new party members together with old favourites.

Raising the limit to 8 would make the most sense. In ToB we had a nice spot for NPC that weren't active at the moment. That would help in gameplaying fun, but also if we have a party that is limited back to 6 at certain areas (for example to avoid bugs). Of course some explanation would be needed in game to convince players why this is happening.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Would love to have a seventh or eight slot added. It needn't be more, I believe this would be enough to get to see a lot more interaction between NPCs (especially in BG2, when it comes along). Of course it might unbalance the game, that's why it should be optional, but I'm really sad that I'll probably never get to see a large percentage (not talking about everything here) of the possible interactions, simply because it would take a dozen planned playthroughs.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Personally, I've always felt seven or possibly eight slots would have fit both BG and ID (especially ID) better. So if they could possibly find the time to make it soft coded, I would be very very happy.
    Kukaracha said:

Not only that, but the six-members system simulates the fact that some people will not travel together or do not wish to participate in anything that resembles more a moving circuse than an adventuring party. Of course, in game they can't simply say "no, I won't come", but you can imagine that Viconia may be reluctant to join if you have three paladins already in your party. There is but a small number of nuisances the characters can cope with.

There are a lot of aspects that aren't simulated. You don't have any reduced chances of being ambushed if you have a party full of rangers, for example. You're just as likely to be attached by wyverns and ettins if all your party are druids.

I can see your point, though. A large group of people could be easily located by assassins and the Chill mercenaries. But as I said, I'd like to happen for added NPC interaction and the potential to have some really large battles occasionally.

L.

• g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2012
    Xavioria said:

... I don't know if anyone else follows Trent Oster on twitter... but here's a quote I'm sure you guys will enjoy: "We looked into a seventh party member slot and the number of times party members is hard coded was staggering."

This either means that they had the intention of adding at least one more slot and had time constraints, or because it was so hard coded, they couldn't change it (the latter being doubtful). I couldn't find a way to link it so that you could see it, but he said it on July 16, 2012...

The makers obviously thought about doing this too... I think it would be a grand idea, with the choice to have a meter and choose how many party members you want to use at the same time going from... let's say... minimum 3 and maximum 7. Then have them just have this dial somewhere in the options menu so that people can more proffeciently choose their difficulty level.

It might unbalance the game... but at the same time, players might decide to have that many people because of Role Playing reasons. I for one LOVE having different people with me of all walks of life, just to get the most drama out of it. For instance... Aerie and Korgan together... absolutely a wonderful thing to behold :)

I don't think a couple more slots would heavily unbalance the game. The only thing, I believe, to be balanced would be enemies and monsters XP amount on kill and quests. Bonus points if they also include this meter you mentioned here, or even a NWN2 style cheat code that lets you set your party member limit (from which btw, I didn't have any problems). It should work progressively starting from a minimum XP score: the more slots available the more XPs from enemies and quests. Your characters level up evenly, whether the limit is set to 3, 6, 7, anything.

Personally, I'd be fine with a 7-slot limit (A 8-slot party would be luxury!) as I would keep one slot free until I get Sarevok in ToB without ditching anyone, and it would be even more challenging as the game would 'think' I wanted 7 NPCs in my party but enemies are still calibrated for a 7-NPC party. This plus the chance to keep my BG1 party in BG2 would be absolute perfection for me!

• SkydreeSkydree Member Posts: 36
    I don't see why not. After all, random encounters of monster were based on your group's strength. Bigger group would generally mean more enemies to fight.

I'm a big fan of soloing, so I don't quite adhere to the 20 man group idea, but if it doesn't clutter the game, and people would play it, why not try it? :) Although I do think the portrait bar would appear quite silly with 10+ people, hehe. And if they made that possible, why not raise the cap of summoned monsters to five or six?
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    12 NPCs?. This is an rpg, not a tactical
    War game ;)
    The NPCs are there to be enjoyed and brought along with your party, if you choose to. Not left by the side of the road.

L.
    Well you have to remember the fact that there are also NPC's that are dependent on the attendance of other NPCs. Xzar and Montaron; Minsc and Dynaheir; Khalid and Jaheira; Eldoth and Skie. This means that one party slot is actually two spaces! so it quickly goes from five slots to three slots that are basically open to you. Granted I believe that you were always able to kill one, make it leave the party and keep the second person... but that seriously breaks the game. A seventh (and perhaps eighth slot) would bridge some gaps, especially from a roleplaying perspective.

And in terms of unbalancing the game... friendly fire DOES exist... Try having 20 people and then go and cast a lightning bolt... let's see the fun we'll have with that....
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Even if it only took them 5 minutes to unlock a 7th or 8th slot, I wouldn't want them to do it. This isn't about runing an already fantastic game, it's about making it better. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 6 slots.
    I think the biggest idea for the extra slots is for more personalization... if you could choose to play with only 6 or up to 7 or 8.... then what's the harm in it?
  • dandydandy Member Posts: 35
    The whole thing about people saying no that I don't get is that it would be optional, if not in the game, just soft coded so one could CHOOSE to do it if they wanted to
    Don't want to? Don't do it. Simple.

Right now, I'm playing a party of 4. Sometimes, I CLUACONSOLE extra characters into my games if I want more.

Different things for different games, I just want the option to choose.