Skip to content

For Rules or For Balance, which is it?

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
Is the Baldur's Gate universe going to stand for the rules or stand for balance?

I.E. proficiencies in BG2 were NERFED with Thac0, damage and APR, which was quite unpopular if you ask some people.

So is this game going to be centered around rules or centered around balance? Which is it?

I'd prefer rules first and second, with balance being the third thing on anyone's mind.

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I guess it depends what is being balanced, the relative strengths of classes against each other is irrelevant to the game imo. The game is made with foreknowledge of what the rules are after all.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Hopefully they'll include the tweak where Grand Mastery works as it did in BG1.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    I prefer balance. I'm playing BG, not AD&D.

Note that there's no GM so my experience is entirely dependent on the context provided by the devs. In p&p, rules can easily be considered a prority because there's a sort of referee to guide your adventures. In a video game, if there's a lot of abusable aspects, then the game is simply broken and that's that.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    BG is advertised as an AD&D game and should therefore follow the AD&D rules, unless there was a very good and explicit reason to change them. Many of the house rules found in BG and BG2 are not backed but such reasons. Hence, my ruleslawyerdom :-)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The BG devs had no problem ignoring and openly mocking AD&D rules, therefore we should take them as an advisement at best. Many alternate house rules already exist for BG and BG2 for such reasons. Hence, my many discussions with @AndreaColombo in the beta testing. :-)