Skip to content

Known spells cheating?

As Edwin can only learn 18 spells max, I got him to drink an int potion and learn more spells.

When the potion wore off, he went back to 18 int and kept the extra spells.

Is this as intended or considered cheating in any way? Such a great way to bypass the limit :D

Comments

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Intended, I believe, so that the other mages can use int increasing potions to scribe 9th level spells and keep them when the pot wears off.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It has always been that way.

I personally see it like this. You only need the higher INT to scribe the spells into your spell book. Beyond that, you are restricted by the number of spells you can memorize, so it isn't a 'Cheat' per say as the extra INT, which you get legitimately, is only so you can scribe it, which you do while under the influence (so to speak).
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Even if it wasn't originally intended, it is something that needs to be in the game, as otherwise no other mage would be able to scribe level 9 spells.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    (…) unless they drank a potion of genius or mind focusing.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Even if it wasn't originally intended, it is something that needs to be in the game, as otherwise no other mage would be able to scribe level 9 spells.

I'd agree with the fact that it is needed, but not necessarily for this reason. In PnP, you can't cast 9th level spells without 18 INT, so the ability to scribe them (and potions don't last long enough for you to memorize them and cast them. So the fact that someone with a less than 18 INT can cast 9th/10th level spells would seem to be problematic in my view. However, I'd imagine that the decision was made to let that rule slide because not every player would have planned ahead enough to have that requirement met by 18th level.

But the ability to write more than the 'Max' spells in your spell book makes sense as once it is written in your book, you only have to memorize them. That shouldn't require the uber-genius that you were when you drank the potion (how many things can you say that about?).

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    If the potion trick doesn't work you have a very limited amount of NPCs that you can take along as your wizard, because not being able to utilize 9th lvl spell slots is just horrible. Without the potions I think I'd be limited to Edwin as the only wizard I'd ever take along. (even more than before).