Skip to content

Minus dexterity stat

BasicHunterBasicHunter Member Posts: 17
Hello. I am new to this game, and I bought it only today. Ive red some basc guides and made a thief character. Well, the problem is, 15 mins ago I have completed the first dungeon and entered the city. Ive decided to check my characters inventory and stats, and I have noticed, that in the top right square box ALL of my charactershave -dexterity( the box which also has my Armor class number). For example, my main character(thief) has -2 dexterity stat, minsc has -2 as well, jaheira has -3, and Yoshimo has -4. Is it supposed to be like that? I dont have any earlier saves left so I cant check, but when I tried to create a new game with a thief as well, my new char didnt have this thing. I tried taking out all items yet it's still the same.

Comments

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    If I'm reading this correctly, that should be their dexterity modifier to armor class. So, a 16 dex character will have a -2 bonus, since a lower armor class is better.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited November 2013
    that is actually your dexterity score's contribution to your armor class.
    the lower your armor class in this game the harder it is to hit you. High dexterity makes your harder to hit by lowering your armor class. So for Yoshimo, who has 18 dex, his armor class is dropped by 4, whereas Jaheira has hers dropped by two due to her high dexterity, but not as high as yoshimo.

I'm guessing the thief you made has a dexterity similar to minsc (16?)
  • BasicHunterBasicHunter Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2013

that is actually your dexterity score's contribution to your armor class.
    the lower your armor class in this game the harder it is to hit you. High dexterity makes your harder to hit by lowering your armor class. So for Yoshimo, who has 18 dex, his armor class is dropped by 4, whereas Jaheira has hers dropped by two due to her high dexterity, but not as high as yoshimo.

I'm guessing the thief you made has a dexterity similar to minsc (16?)

Yes, my thief has 16 dexterity. Sorry, I am noob in this game, it took me quite some tie to get past the first dungeon(about 3 hours).So , if I understood it right, the -2dex means -2 AC? Sorry, english is not my native language so it kinda hard to understand everything about this game.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Correct. A 16 dexterity will lower your armor class by 2, and you want a lower armor class.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I love this game.
    So complicated!!!
    Don't be sorry, its extremely confusing, even with English as a first language! Modern Dungeons and Dragons systems have fixed this.

Yes, the -2 Dexterity you see means that your dexterity give you -2 to your AC (Armor Class) making you harder to hit. You should see that in your items screen. On you character page, you will see your abilities and next to dexterity it will say 16.

To be honest, if you are a thief I would actually get a higher dexterity (18 unless you are an elf, then 19). Also, wisdom and intelligence are not very important for thieves (10 should be fine in both) and charisma is not as important since you will very early find a ring in Baldur's Gate II that sets your charisma to 18!!!

Also, I am very jealous of you being able to play this game for the first time. You will have a great time!
    edited November 2013
    Thank you all for the help. Umm, booinyoureyes , you said that you recommend me t have a higher dexterity for thief. Is it possible to level it up? Or do I need to start the game over?
    P.S If you would also tell me how to set a trap or detect an illusion that would be wonderfull, since I cant seem to figure it out. This game is quite hard compared to the modern ones( and thats is good , the game is very well done and looks fantastic so far)
    edited November 2013
    no, you'd have to start over. sorry. but you can also use CLUAConsole (a cheat code) to get 2 books that will raise your dexterity. Directions found here: http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/baldurs-gate-2-pc-13437
    The code is book05 and you can get two of them and just place them into your "quick item slots" (three boxes below your weapons) then use them when you are in the world screen. Your character will make a "poof" sound and then when you look back at his character screen you will see your dexterity raised by one.

I think detect illusions is a passive ability (happens automatically) but I am not sure. I have never bothered with it, since other characters have spells that make it useless.

I actually don't use thieves often, and I rarely set traps except with a certain NPC you get early in the game. It is a special ability, so you should see a star on the far right of the bottom of your screen. If you click on that it will show you multiple traps that you can use. click on the button then click on the world screen where you want to set it. then wait for some unsuspecting bad guy to walk into it then BOOM you got him!
    Okay, thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    Detect Illusions is done while you're using Find Traps. So if you have Find Traps turned on, you're also Detecting Illusions.

@booinyoureyes The passive you're thinking of is the ability to detect secret doors. All characters are using that passively all the time, with varying chance of success based on their class.

Regarding whether Detect Illusion is useful...there are some encounters with high-level casters where your thief may not really have much to do because the mage is immune to their weapons (from various protection spells). When that happens, I usually have my thief Find Traps (and thereby checking for illusions) so I don't have to waste time with one of my casters using True Sight (also True Sight only has a 10-round duration, while Find Traps can work as long as you want). Detect Illusions will get rid of Blur, Mirror Image, and all types of invisibility, so it can be handy.

PS - Another minor point in favor of Detect Illusion is that it can't be dispelled; enemies can knock out True Sight with Remove Magic.
    edited November 2013
    Thanks
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    Don't apologize, you're not annoying us. It's actually pleasant to help an apprentice at this game.
    Just go to the store and ask Ribald to see what items he has for sale. At the bottom-left (or bottom-right, it depends) of the screen you'll see a few buttons, one of which should be a question mark similar to the icon of the identification spell. Note that not all stores can identify items, and not all stores that can identify items can identify *all* items.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Cyteen said:

Detect Illusions is done while you're using Find Traps. So if you have Find Traps turned on, you're also Detecting Illusions.

@booinyoureyes The passive you're thinking of is the ability to detect secret doors. All characters are using that passively all the time, with varying chance of success based on their class.

Regarding whether Detect Illusion is useful...there are some encounters with high-level casters where your thief may not really have much to do because the mage is immune to their weapons (from various protection spells). When that happens, I usually have my thief Find Traps (and thereby checking for illusions) so I don't have to waste time with one of my casters using True Sight (also True Sight only has a 10-round duration, while Find Traps can work as long as you want). Detect Illusions will get rid of Blur, Mirror Image, and all types of invisibility, so it can be handy.

PS - Another minor point in favor of Detect Illusion is that it can't be dispelled; enemies can knock out True Sight with Remove Magic.

Detect Illusion can also dispel Mislead (which kind of comes under a type of invisibility, but I think it's worth stating).
    Thanks guys! I didn't know that at all
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Don't be afraid to take the advice from @booinyoureyes to raise your dex to 18 via the console: I wouldn't even think of it as cheating since you weren't aware of how important an 18 dex is for thieves when you created the character.

Detect illusions is often used as a dump skill, but it can be really helpful in combat when you're going up against mages who have invisibility and can't be targeted with spells. It's faster and will free up some spell slots for your mages :)

Hello again. I was wondering how can i get new traps for my thief?I have only one which is called *set snare*yet i often fail and deal damage to myself.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    When you level up you can put more point in set trap and it will be easier to succesfully set a trap.
    Yes, I got that. What I want to know is where can I get new ones? Read scrolls? I have only the snare one.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    That's the only one for now. You'll be able to pick special ones when you hit a high level but until then you'll have to rely on those.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    it is totally normal everything you are going through, as most of us have been through it before already. it is a tough game to learn, especially if you haven't already played DnD, as I haven't before Baldur's Gate either. in the end the experience will be rewarding, so do not give up and come back here if you ever need help. heck I remember my first character I mostly just balanced all the stats, and he became really underpowered. many will simply make these kinds of mistakes the first time.

and for the traps, you can get things like spike and time traps when you reach SOA level cap. it is recommended any thief get use any item first though, as then your thief can cast from scrolls, wear plate armors, and wield many swords no other in your party might be able to.
    Im thinking of starting over, as I fimnd it hard playing my thief. It seems like quite a hard class to use, im useless with the shortbow, and when I try to backstab I either miss, or do too low damage, and then the enemy goes for me. Ive red some guides, and the thief is quite complicated imo. Can you guys recommend me an easier class for my new char? I thoughht of some melee fighter class, but I also heard that they are useless since there are cool NPC characters like those. Any suggestions?
    Fighter is probably the easiest to play, to be honest, or one of the Fighter-classes like Paladin or Ranger. You could try a Multi-classed character, but on my first play through I basically just used the Multi-class characters as Fighters because I didn't know any better! Also Multi-classes level up a lot slower due to your experience being split between the classes. :)

I'd advise a plain Fighter (if you want to take a kit, go Berserker: Wizard Slayer is bad, and Kensai can be too squishy if you aren't used to how the game plays), or Paladin (any kit, but Cavalier is probably the best/easiest for a new player) or Ranger (Plain Ranger is great, but you could also be a Stalker if you want to backstab for less damage but more reliably than a plain thief. Unless you want to be an archer, then Archer kit is fantastic.)

So basically, my advice for a fairly simple introduction to the game would be:

Fighter (either ordinary, or Berserker)
    Cavalier
    Ranger

You can use other characters that join your party to experiment with other classes/builds and have a more rounded knowledge for your next play through :)
    I see. After reading some guides Im thinking of either berserker or maybe archer( as I find it quite eaasy to just stand behind my tanks and shoot arrows at people). Im on the character creaton page right now, I wan to ask about the race which would fit berserker? The half-ogre looks good, but he loses 2 points in intellignce. Im also not sure on what stats i should focus. Strength is the obvous choice for both berserker and archer. The charisma seems useless, since Ive found a +18 charisma ring in the cirsuc tent. Constitution?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Max your Constitution.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Archer is probably your best bet, max out dex/con then strength, then whatever is left into int (Never below 10), then wis/cha, focus on either shortbow (better options) or longbow (more dmg) and enjoy never missing and destroying mages !!!
    Intelligence doesn't really matter unless you are a mage, but I recommend not dropping it lower than 11 for… reasons. As an Archer Elf is a popular race since you want maximum Dexterity (Dexterity increases hit bonuses on ranged weapons, and elves can get 19) and high Strength (18 for Composite bows). Elves have lower maximum Con, however (17 as opposed to 18, or 19 if you are a half-orc or dwarf). For Berserker, half-orc is definitely a great choice in terms of raw statistics, since they can get 19 Str and 19 Con right from the start.

Intelligence doesn't really matter unless you are a mage, but I recommend not dropping it lower than 11 for… reasons. As an Archer Elf is a popular race since you want maximum Dexterity (Dexterity increases hit bonuses on ranged weapons, and elves can get 19) and high Strength (18 for Composite bows). Elves have lower maximum Con, however (17 as opposed to 18, or 19 if you are a half-orc or dwarf). For Berserker, half-orc is definitely a great choice in terms of raw statistics, since they can get 19 Str and 19 Con right from the start.

I see, really a dilemma over here since i cant choose between berserker and archer. And what about weapon abilities? Ive red that longbows are not recommended for archer, yet they seem to have the highest dmg from what ive seen in the shops. The berserker should use two handed weps i believe,
    Ive tossed a coin and got berserker 4 times in a row. Seems thats me then :3
    Sorry for all this typing, can you pls help me for the last time? I dont want to fck up and play the game with an underpowered character. If my knowing is right, i should take a human(more romance options)/half-ogre(better stats). My main focus on stats should be constitution and strength, decent intelligengce anbd low wisdom and char. And for the weapon abilities I should max out the two-weapon type? What are berserkers better with? Shield? or just a huge sword to cut everyone into pieces?
    Human or half-orc doesn't matter much. Who specifically were you hoping to romance, or did you just want to keep your options open?

You want your highest stats to be Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. Int at around 11, and Wisdom and Charisma as low as you want. Wisdom doesn't really affect anything for you, so that can be your lowest score.

For weapons, either go two-handed weapons (2H sword is pretty great through the whole game) or two weapons. Keep in mind that Two Weapon has some heavy penalties until you get 2 points in the style. Both are very powerful. Two Weapon is, I think, ultimately the most powerful, but 2-handed keeps up really well, so really go with whichever you prefer. If you want to use a giant sword to hit things, do that, if you want to wield two weapons at once you can do that too.

If you do go the two-weapon route, then some good weapons to focus on are longsword or flail, I've found axe to be pretty good overall as well.

Having a shield can be useful (but you can't use one with a 2-handed weapon), but don't put points into the 'Sword and Shield' style, because it isn't very good.
    For 2-handed weapons, 2-handed swords is a great option. Later one you can also put points in Halberd or staff, which are other great 2H options. :)