Skip to content

thac0 question, oh sage gurus - please help :)

Hi there everyone, my first post :)

I was looking through another topic where people were posting pics of their charname and saw people with thac0s of -15 and the like. After my initial "Gangrenous Gond's Balls, Batman, how did he do that?" reaction, I decided to post here and ask for some advice.

Currently, my party consists of:

me: half-orc priest of helm - thac0 (5)
Dorn: thac0 (1)
Rasaad: thac0 (-2)
Hexxat: thac0 (6)
Neera: thac0 (7)
other me: archer - thac0 (-3)

Currently, I'm on a new playthrough with all the new characters to test them out, and I'm sort of end of chapter 2. I'm doing every single side quest before the main quest, cause why not. I realise those insane -15 thac0s from other threads are ToB ones, but still. I thought I'd ask:

Question! (tl;dr)
What are the most sensible ways for me to raise my thac0 for my current party?

My priest currently has the hammer of thunderbolts which will become the Crom, with highest hammer spec he can get.
Dorn has Lilarcor and will go to watcher's keep soon, for you know what.
Rasaad is using his gloves atm, though I might switch them out for the 'other' ones he gets ;)
Hexxat is my main worry. I gave her katana point, and she's got celestial fury at the mo, since it's the best +3 weap I've got so far. However, I saw some other thread said that a backstab rogue who dualwields is great, especially with mislead or timestop trap (because each of the hitting attacks would x5 I guess?). Since she will get HLA of Use any item (I imagine) the mislead thing could work.

Any advice for me on some of the best ways to achieve godlike thac0? I've read so many things on the forums so far that I think "omg that's brilliant! How did I not think of that?" that I thought I'd ask the help of the sage and wise here :)

Thanks!

Comments

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Most of your THAC0 will come from level ups. Strength also helps (for melee).
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Thac0 doesn't really need to be "godlike" to be useful. The lowest AC I have seen on a creature is -12, so a thac0 of -1 would let you hit that creature 50% of the time. A 13th-level fighter with a girdle of hill giant strength will have a base thac0 of 5 so a decent +3 weapon and specialization will get the thac0 down to 1. Clerics can use Holy Power which will set their thac0 to that of a fighter *and* give them 18/00 strength, lowering thac0 by another 3 points.

By the time your character's modified thac0 gets below 10 you wind up hitting most creatures almost all the time.