Skip to content

Dimension Door

mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
edited November 2012 in Fixed
Does anyone know if it is intended that the Dimension Door spell will be available as a spell in BG:EE, despite the BG2 engine being used? It was dropped as a spell in BG2 (because of its potential to break quests if exploited, if I recall correctly). It was available in BG1 when using EasyTutu though (not sure about BGT).
Post edited by Balquo on
g314QuartzKirinaldoCrevsDaak

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Yeah, I always wondered what would happen when you used Dimension Door to cross the brigde-area before Baldur's Gate when the city was still closed. I was actually hoping to find out this time...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Seeing that you could skip the bridge by going to the northern farmlands in unpatched BG1, the thing that would happen is... BAD THINGS! You would be able to go and do all its quest but if you went to Candlekeep and completed it, you would advance just by two chapters and not reach Chapter 8, meaning that nothing in Baldur's Gate would have triggered. Eltan would still be alive and he would send you back to Candlekeep *AGAIN*... which would have caused a crash, if I remember correctly.

Fun times...
    AntonCrevsDaak
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Perhaps spell should be kept but it should not work in "special spots". Let`s call them "antimagic zones" ;)
    QuartzCrevsDaak
    It would be great if this spell will work like the one from Weimer`s Solaufein Mod i.e. transport you anywhere on the current area :)
    NordomMungriKen
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Dimension door could be implemented, only being able to teleport within a localised area of the current map (BG:EE will give higher resolutions making this spell useful) as well as cloaking the player/players with temporary invisibility so it would appear that they have fled to a greater distance then they actually have.

Would make for a great getaway spell, and with this method It shouldn't break any thing. I.e taking into consideration that you cant teleport over unexplored/locked door areas.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Is there any reason for concern past Chap5 (other than that it becomes available for quest foiling in BG2?
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2012
    Anton said:

It would be great if this spell will work like the one from Weimer`s Solaufein Mod i.e. transport you anywhere on the current area :)

You can easily change every spell (including Dimension Door) to function without a field of view via the Dragon Lance Editor for yourself!

1. Load up the spell in the editor
    2. On the first page of the spell traits make sure the box "Needs FOV" is unchecked
    3. Change the spell range to a high value (800 or something )
    4. Save the spell in the "override" folder. Done.

Now you have a Dimension Door which allows you to teleport to any point on the map. In order make it kinda balanced, you could also add additional traits to the spell, for example "not usable indoors" or "not in battle" or you could give it a very long cast time...

I guess the DLTC Editor will be adjusted to the BGEE, thus I can hardly wait to mod all the stuff to make it suitable for my needs & taste <3
    Post edited by Akuro on
    Anton
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    I read somewhere, probably the Reddit discussion, that since BG2 had dropped dimension door, since it could basically break the game, Overhaul was respecting that decision.

So don't be surprised if you don't see it.
    edited September 2012
    Oh come on! What's wrong with the "edit"-function? I tried to edit my last post but instead a new one appeared :)

Anyway, I just wanted to correct myself: ->

1. On the first page of the spell traits make sure the box "No LOS needed" is checked.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Akuro I ran into the same edit bug. If it still won't let you, try restarting your browser; that worked for me.
    Thanks @Jalily Hopefully that'll be the last time this happens to me ;)
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited October 2012
    Just leave the spell in the game, make it unselectable on levelups, and put the VERY EXPENSIVE scroll in a shop somewhere at the end of the game... like Chapter 7? Problem solved.
    Darksheer
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    zarffyn said:

I read somewhere, probably the Reddit discussion, that since BG2 had dropped dimension door, since it could basically break the game, Overhaul was respecting that decision.

So don't be surprised if you don't see it.

@SethDavis @KeithS This true? Because a certain spell may still be in the game :P

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think that certain spell just needs to be removed from the shop.
    CrevsDaak
    Few NPCs and a container...
    TanthalasSethDavis
    I think that certain spell just needs to be removed from a few NPCs and a container.
    SethDavis
    I think that certain spell just needs to be removed from a few NPCs and a container... and some shops.
    TanthalasSethDavisCrevsDaak
    Damn you!
    SethDavisCrevsDaak
    edited November 2012
    but you can leave 1 in some super-duper-secret place
    we won't tell beamdog ;)
    CrevsDaak
  • KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    Okie, scrolls removed from creatures, areas and stores. The super-duper-secret place will be the command console if you want to cheat yourself a copy of the spell :P

Though, technically, we could remove it from the resources too.
    TanthalasBalquoCrevsDaak
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited November 2012
    KeithS said:

But you won't because being friendly to modders is one of your main concerns.
    SethDavisCrevsDaak
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I like this topic :) LOL
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2012
    Is it really that broken that it needs to be taken out of the game entirely? I never found it to be problematic in vanilla BG1 (or in BG2 using mods that make the spell available in that game). I know some players will go out of their way to break a game, but it would be a shame if because of that Dimension Door is not in BG:EE.
    Post edited by mister_ennui on
  • KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623

KeithS said:

But you won't because being friendly to modders is one of your main concerns.
    True :)
    AndreaColomboCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just get the idea of cheat the selfish tear of bhaal in hell and then i get this... shit. Was searching on internet the CLUAConsole code of Dimension door to get the scroll.

By the way i hope the scroll still exist or i will be tempted to just ctrl+j my character to the other side (what i'm serious taking in account as my main char is a thief ranged focused and relies a lot on dexterity.)
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    Dimension Door:

CLUAConsole:AddSpell("spwi402")

The scroll itself does not exist as far as I know. However, that code works. Simply put your cursor over your mage and enter it.

You will not only get the spell in your spellbook, you will also get 4000 XP... The same way if you had the scroll and copied it into your book.

You're welcome.