Skip to content

[Known 9183] Trolls don't fall down correctly

XellosXellos Member Posts: 16
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
This is an old BG2 bug that I was hoping would be fixed in BG2:EE, so I figured I'd put it here in case it's something that can be fixed. Basically, trolls are supposed to fall down (and start regenerating unless you hit them with fire/acid) when they run out of hit points. Most of the time, when you're focusing on one troll and he gets down to Near Death and gets hit a few more times, he'll stay up on his feet until you stop attacking him, at which point he finally falls down correctly.

Any chance we can get this fixed so you don't have to stop attacking trolls for them to correctly realize "wait, I'm out of hit points"?
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• LeetaLeeta Member Posts: 6
    I'd also like to see this, I always just assumed they had an ungodly amount of HP ><. Torgall and his giant trolls...how much of a headache did that cause me because of this bug...damn.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    This is the old bug where you do too much damage too fast ... faster than the script can run. Will discuss it and see if there is a way to fix it. The old way to resolve this still works, stop attacking and wait (until a solution comes about).
  • KhrondorKhrondor Member Posts: 54
    Would also like to see this fixed
  • LeetaLeeta Member Posts: 6
    The old way can be problematic. Given that the trolls can then stand there smacking you, if they actually are NEAR death and not simply screwed up. Not trying to be difficult but if you could work a fix into it on the next patch, we'd be super greatful. I love all you've done with the game truthfully.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    honestly, the real problem is that the way trolls are executed in this game is a terrible idea. we're still shackled to IWD1 methods. if there really hasn't been a better solution in the past 15 years then I would prefer Weimer's method - just give the thing more HP and get rid of the 'reanimation' deal altogether.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    edited November 2013
    I've never run across this bug. Maybe I'm not doing damage fast enough. (I have noticed that when they are about to fall over they stop attacking and then fall over after a brief delay. I suspect that my attacks between when they pause and when they fall over are wasted, but I've never seen that as a serious problem. Anyway, it is probably unrelated to the bug here, so I digress.)

Naturally I support fixing this bug, but I'd hate to lose troll reanimation in the process. There's a lot of flavor associated with that - trolls are very different from other monsters because of this special mechanic. Remove that and they will be more ordinary, and the dialog in-game to ensure players are prepared to fight them will be rendered into misinformation.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    @Emptiness not really the case - just boost their resistances to everything but fire/acid and it makes perfect sense. essentially, it becomes the case that people use fire and acid to kill trolls because it's the only expedient way to do so; anything else has a difficult dime even getting through their regeneration.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Okay, I can accept that. In some ways it might even be more "realistic". I always feel a little cheap when I beat down a troll with normal damage and then hit them once with fire damage to finish them (which is what I always do).
  • Cartman2020Cartman2020 Member Posts: 19
    I never even noticed that it was a bug...