Skip to content

Absurdity with Cleric Strongholds

So I'm a chaotic neutral Cleric/Mage

Why was I just offered the Helm stronghold? And why were they so upset when I murdered people? I'm a crazy person and I cast destructive spells!

Comments

• bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    Helm (pronounced HELM [2]), also known as the Vigilant One and The Watcher, was the god of guardians, protection and protectors. He was worshiped by guards and paladins both, long being seen as a cold and focused deity who impartially took the role of defender and sometimes also enforcer.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    I think it's a shame the game only gives you the choice of three temples, and depending on alignment you're basically shunted there, otherwise you lose out on a free ability. I kind of like how third edition handled cleric spells with "domains" and special abilities from the domain. It made it easier to roleplay whatever flavor of priest you liked, and then you could go find an appropriate god. But making church quests could definitely be a lot more difficult then.

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    yes the cleric strongholds are awful you just get lumped with which ever deity is closest to your alignment regardless of how you RP them. Its one of the reasons why I never play cleric in this game

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Good clerics get the Lathander temple, neutral clerics the Helm temple, and evil clerics the Talos temple. The Lawful/Chaotic axis has no influence on this.

Of course a Temple of Helm will expect you to advice its followers to obey the law and the tenets of the faith above all.

I agree it makes little sense to offer a Chaotic Neutral cleric a post in the Temple of Helm. But it's up to you whether you want to keep your position for long, or whether you prefer to advice the seekers of your wisdom to commit murder. :-)
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    In the original this was fixed by the oversight mod (http://www.gibberlings3.net/oversight/):
    "It changes the alignment restrictions to serve each of the deities to go with the alignments of the deities. Lathander's alignment requirements are unchanged, Helm accepts worshipers of any Lawful alignment or True Neutral, and Talos accepts worshipers of Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral, or Neutral Evil alignment."

Its not especially likely this particular mod will come to EE, though.
  • GentblueGentblue Member Posts: 39
    This mod has apparently come to EE, though Lawful Good goes to Lathander.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    A Chaotic neutral cleric has no place in Helm's temple, methinks. Neither he should be able to become a specialty priest of Helm. Helm is all about law and cn alignment is the perfect antithesis of law.