Skip to content

Custom Races in BGEE 1&2

Alright, so apart from making items that *simulate* racial traits, is there any other way?

Kits are (relatively) easy to make for someone who knows how, and they can be added right into the game, with customized descriptions and tables and all the bells and whistles... so why not races? Is the game hardcoded against it, or what? I know Overhaul could do this in a heartbeat, but they're currently busy patching and porting the game - the question is, why haven't any of the modders out there whipped up something like this?

True, there *are* a couple of sub-race mods floating around, but they're mostly item-based.

Now, adding a sub-race in a legitimate way (ie. having it show up under the right menu a la the Icewind Dale II ones) might call for more hacking/tweaking than the average modder is capable of, but what about inserting an entirely new one? There's room for at least 4 more 'slots' under the Race menu, if I'm not mistaken. So, it's not a matter of GUI, or the inherent limitations of the menu itself. With that in mind, what's to stop a modder from appending said menu and adding a few custom values to all the tables that regulate this kind of stuff?

Is there something technical I'm missing here, or is it just a matter of demand?

I had a blast playing IWD2, and one of the reasons was the customizability.

I can't be the only one who'd really like to see this in BG 1&2... can I? :/

Comments