Skip to content

Would Imoen make a decent replacement for Edwin late-game/ToB?

Just can't help but be curious, because while having Edwin in the group means a nice mage with way more spells, I've never actually played in a group without a pure mage before (Edwin was either always in my group or I was a full mage myself).

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    It depends. If you play a pure mage to its greatest effect (i.e. emphasizing spell casting) then you can't beat Edwin. His incredibly high amount of spells makes it that much easier to chain those devastating endgame combinations. Imoen is a decent mage in her own right to be sure, but I don't think her wimpy thief melee attacks are going to cut it here.

Different story if she was a fighter->mage instead. Then I'd definitely take her over a pure mage, all day every day.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    imoen is 2 spell slots/level behind edwin always
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

It depends. If you play a pure mage to its greatest effect (i.e. emphasizing spell casting) then you can't beat Edwin. His incredibly high amount of spells makes it that much easier to chain those devastating endgame combinations. Imoen is a decent mage in her own right to be sure, but I don't think her wimpy thief melee attacks are going to cut it here.

Different story if she was a fighter->mage instead. Then I'd definitely take her over a pure mage, all day every day.

well I only use Imoen with Short Bow of Gesen so she can constantly play back-lines. If she got Tenser's, she'd be decent in that role, but meh, so could any mage.
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    If you only want one mage, imoen can do it all. She's good in general, but in pure magecraft edwin has more spells per day.
  • SarlyssiaSarlyssia Member Posts: 27
    Like it was said before you can't do much better than Edwin if you go with pure spellcasting, his bonus spells see to that. What Imoen has for her is that she has no kit and can therefore cast divination spells which Edwin as a conjurer is not allowed. It's not a big loss as there are not that many really useful spells in that school but still. She also has enough thief levels to make a pretty decent thief that should be able to get you through SoA and ToB without problems, which means you don't necessary have to take another thief with you. And yes because of her thief levels she is a bit behind Edwin but not enough to matter really because she will be able to reach the same level without running into the XPCap. My suggestion would be to take both of them unless you are playing a thief yourself.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Imoen is completely acceptable as your primary mage. Honestly, I've never even touched Edwin, I don't do evil. Imoen and Aerie make an awesome team as my only mages in many run throughs.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited November 2013
    imoen is very good mage like any pure mage benefiting of bows
    pure mage >edwin
    imoen can use special arrows and they are neat
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    zur312 said:

imoen is 2 spell slots/level behind edwin always

Imoen is 3 spell slots/level behind edwin.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Ya, Edwin has the mage school specialization, plus his amulet of cheese, so he gets way more spells per level.

However, Imoen is not bad. She can still fill the role of party thief, plus have pretty much the same caster level. If you're doing a good run, she's very worthwhile. That amulet does kind of give Edwin an unfair advantage, but evil has enough disadvantages so it's kind of balancing.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Only reason I'm considering it is I need another front-liner and by replacing Edwin with one I free up a slot.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: No way in hell.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Imoen is fine as your primary mage, but if you're used to Edwin you'll notice a considerable drop in power. With Edwin, you can start chaining level 9/10 spells together as soon as you hit 18.

For those who think extra spell slots don't matter since you can just rest anyways, there's a big difference between only being able to Chain Contingency 3x Horrid Wilting once as opposed to being able to cast it 2 to 3 times in big fight. There's also the fact that there's no way to increase the amount of level 9 spell slots, so Edwin's extra slots there are pretty considerable.

But anyways, you don't need that much power. Imoen gets the job done.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    In ToB Imoen also gets increased stats, and minor bhaal powers if you wait long enough or use cheats for the dialogs.