Skip to content

BG EE Half-elf cleric/mage 92 points build

longjoneslongjones Member Posts: 3
edited November 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
What stats?
What weapon proficiencies?
learning/casting/preparing spells while wearing armor?
thanks
Post edited by longjones on

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited November 2013
    max wis dex int
    16 conc
    str rest

weapons are really limited you can use staffs they are pretty good at hitting but you are a mage so you don't hit hard
    slings are safe long range less danger of being hit

spells i don't understand
    go for crowd control + healing like any mage/cleric would
    from
    level 1 good is magic missle sanctuary(level1 invisibility spell) armor of faith
    level 2 mirror image / this blinding spell that lowers thaco and armor draw upon holy might
    level 3 haste fireball / protection from fire
    level 4 emotion > greater malision
    level 5 chaos breach sunfire heal
    level 6 this breachlike spell
    level 7 greater restorationssssssssssssssss x1000
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    longjones said:

What stats?
    What weapon proficiencies?
    learning/casting/preparing spells while wearing armor?
    thanks

The nice thing about a cleric/mage is that you can equip a shield and helmet without disrupting casting, so you are a bit less squishy than a full on mage. For this reason, you probably want to go with weapons you can use while the shield is equipped, sling and mace/hammer.

You really won't be wearing armor while casting, until or unless you find elven chain mail. You'll be in a mage robe, with the shield and helm.

As was said, max your Dex and Int for sure. Give yourself 16 con (could get by with 15 if you will get tome). After that, spread your points out as you see fit.

You really don't need a high wisdom to be a cleric, you get a few bonus spells, but it doesn't matter as much as high intelligence for the mage. If you want to cast a lot of Wish spells, you'll want Wis at least 18, but that is pretty easy to do with all the Wis bumps between both games. You'll want your Str high enough to equip a large shield, so at least 15 there.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2013
    I like using Crom Faeyr with my Cleric/Mage. Not being a warrior, it isn't the most efficient use of such a powerful weapon, but it basically makes the character a melee threat in addition to a casting juggernaut. My current evil C/M is wielding Crom, the Dragon Slayer shield, Robe of Vecna, and the Helm of the Rock, for great resistances and casting ability. His AC isn't enough to tank, but between priest and mage combat buffs, that's rarely an issue.

I also used Staff of the Magi for a while, forgoing shields. It's just great.

Really, though, you'll usually wind up with enough proficiencies scattered around to use just about any priest weapon you find. You get to awfully high levels in this game. My guy can use slings, staves, maces, flails, and hammers as needed, and also has 2-handed weapon skill, and I just began ToB.

Regarding Wisdom: Starting with 18, you can reach permanent 22 wisdom through BG1 and Watcher's Keep boosts, which represents a handful of bonus level 4 and 5 spells. Pretty good. I just started ToB so I forget what wisdom boosts are available there outside of Watcher's Keep, but if I can get to 23 Wisdom, that's another two level 5 slots.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Be a gnome.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Madhax said:

Regarding Wisdom: Starting with 18, you can reach permanent 22 wisdom through BG1 and Watcher's Keep boosts, which represents a handful of bonus level 4 and 5 spells. Pretty good. I just started ToB so I forget what wisdom boosts are available there outside of Watcher's Keep, but if I can get to 23 Wisdom, that's another two level 5 slots.

Starting with 18 you can get to 25 by the end of the whole saga.

• MrTea1976MrTea1976 Member Posts: 20
    My first ever playthrough of BG (vanilla, before BG2 came out) was with a Half Elf Cleric/Mage. I had 86 stat points 8/18/16/18/18/8. I'd probably go for 12 Strength with the extra 4 points. I was a casting dynamo! Imported to BG2 when it first came out (8/19/16/19/20/8) and the awesomeness continued. Strength and Charisma are easiest to boost. Weapon proficiencies don't matter too much but go for a one handed melee weapon and sling to start with. You'll want staff at some point in BG2.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    decado said:

Be a gnome.

You may want to follow this advice for two reasons:
    1. You can be an illusionist/cleric (the specialty mages get an additional spell per level, and this is the only multiclass mage/cleric that can have a specialty school) Though as an illusionist you will miss out on some nice necromancy spells.
    2. You can get a max intelligence of 19. Its actually a very minor benefit, but it is something.