Skip to content

More Character Customization - appearance and soundsets

What would be required in order to customize character appearance more, either via entirely new soundsets and via customized graphics?

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    happy new year to everyone :D

I tried to check also for the BG2 soundsets but I couldn't find any txt file in the lang folder of BG2 and the system appears to be a bit more complicated. any ideas?
    Is this information still true?

Baldur's Gate 1

The following is a list of the WAV files for the custom sound sets. Replace each 'XXXXXXX' in the filenames with the name of the sound set (MAX 7 CHARACTERS). All the WAV files should be 22 khz, 16 bit mono sounds. Copy the WAV files to the Sounds directory located in the directory that Baldur's Gate was installed in, and then select this sound set either in character creation or in the "Customize" button off of the Character Record page. For multiplayer, merely send your custom sounds to all of the people you are playing with and have them copy them to the Sounds directory - if you have installed the sounds to your character inyour game, everyone will hear your sounds once they copy them into the correct directory. XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry
    XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader
    XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
    XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored
    XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded
    XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1
    XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2
    XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3
    XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1
    XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2
    XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3
    XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit
    XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying
    XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest
    XXXXXXXo.wav : In City
    XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon
    XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime
    XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime
    XXXXXXXs.wav : Rare Selected 1
    XXXXXXXt.wav : Rare Selected 2
    XXXXXXXu.wav : Rare Selected 3
    XXXXXXXv.wav : Rare Selected 4
    XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death

Baldur's Gate 2

Thirty-seven sounds which are uttered upon certain actions or conditions can be recorded for each character. These .WAV files should be 22 kHz, 16-bit mono sounds. The format for each sound name is XXXXXXXa.wav where the Xs can be replaced by a name of up to 7 characters maximum such as Farrell or Skip. The final letter of each sound's name indicates which action/condition it represents as listed in the table below.

One of the Selected sounds is played upon clicking on a character while Rare Selected sounds are heard when the same character is selected multiple times. The Daytime, Nighttime, Forest, City and Dungeon sounds are all random utterances that are played when it is that time of day or you are in one of those areas.

The sound set can be selected either in character creation or from the Customize button on the Character Record page. You can have multiple sound sets and chose the one you want the character to use from a list. A play button is available so you can cycle through each sound set to hear what they are.

There are eight default sound sets for the main player character, four male and four female. If these still aren't quite right for your character, you can add your own custom sound sets too. There is no real size limit for the custom sounds and the game should play any reasonable sound without a performance hit (a 6 MB sound caused a 1-2 second delay).

File name Action/Condition

XXXXXXXa.wav Battle Cry 1(e.g. "Go for the Eyes!" "Booyah!")
    XXXXXXXb.wav Becoming Leader(e.g. "I am the best choice" "Swords for everyone!")
    XXXXXXXc.wav Tired(e.g. "About time for a rest" ")
    XXXXXXXd.wav Bored(e.g. "Could we be lazy a little faster?")
    XXXXXXXe.wav Badly Wounded(e.g. "Little help here!")
    XXXXXXXf.wav Selected 1(e.g. "Heya" "Heya" "Heya")
    XXXXXXXg.wav Selected 2
    XXXXXXXh.wav Selected 3
    XXXXXXXi.wav Action Acknowledgement 1(e.g. "I'm on it")
    XXXXXXXj.wav Action Acknowledgement 2
    XXXXXXXk.wav Action Acknowledgement 3
    XXXXXXXl.wav Being Hit(e.g. "OW!" "Crikey!")
    XXXXXXXm.wav Dying(e.g. "I'm ok...*thud*")
    XXXXXXXn.wav In Forest(e.g. "Lets hug a tree")
    XXXXXXXo.wav In City(e.g. "Where's the bar?")
    XXXXXXXp.wav In Dungeon(e.g. "Careful not to step in any")
    XXXXXXXq.wav Daytime(e.g. "The sun shines another day")
    XXXXXXXr.wav Nighttime(e.g. "Ahh, nighttime")
    XXXXXXXs.wav Action Acknowledgement 4
    XXXXXXXt.wav Action Acknowledgement 5
    XXXXXXXu.wav Action Acknowledgement 6
    XXXXXXXv.wav Action Acknowledgement 7
    XXXXXXXw.wav Reaction to Party Member Death(e.g. "Better you then me!!")
    XXXXXXXx.wav Rare Select 1(e.g. "So I kicked him in the head till he was dead")
    XXXXXXXy.wav Rare Select 2
    XXXXXXXz.wav Critical Hit Given(e.g. "Take that!")
    XXXXXXX1.wav Critical Miss(e.g. "Hold Still!")
    XXXXXXX2.wav Target Immune(e.g. "My weapon has no effect?")
    XXXXXXX3.wav Inventory Full(e.g. "That is on the ground")
    XXXXXXX4.wav Successfully Picked A Pocket(e.g. "Success")
    XXXXXXX5.wav Successfully Hid In Shadows(e.g. "Hey guys, CAN YOU SEE ME NOW!?")
    XXXXXXX6.wav Spell Disrupted(e.g. "I've lost my spell")
    XXXXXXX7.wav Set A Trap(e.g. "Hey, I set a trap!")
    XXXXXXX8.wav Battle Cry 2
    XXXXXXX9.wav Battle Cry 3
    XXXXXXX0.wav Selected 6
    XXXXXXX_.wav Action Acknowledgement 8
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, the EE uses an updated version of the Baldur's Gate 2 engine, so you'd use the Baldur's Gate 2 setup for soundsets... However, BG1EE from what I know of still has issues on getting custom soundsets to work.
    even for BG1? the same instances of BG2?
    Well for the normal Baldur's Gate 1, if you have it on the CDs, or a DVD or from GoG or some place, you would use the BG1 setup for soundkits, but for Enhanced Editions, both should use Baldur's Gate 2's.
    edited January 2014
    I own Enhanced editions, I guess I can safely go for BG2 setups? can BG1 actually understand those new instances such as "spellcasting interrupted"?
    Post edited by Dark_Ansem on
    The sounds folder does contains sounds all the way through a to _ for the new soundsets added in Enhanced Edition, but trying to use custom soundsets in BG1 EE still results in the character not saying the lines... They did manage to make custom soundsets work for BG2 EE.
    better than nothing at all :)
    has the latest patch unified, more or less, the voicesets between BGI and 2? @Dee is there something like that planned for Dragonspear?