Skip to content

(BG2:EE) Is there a negative effect to asking for a reward?

So, there's generally an option to ask if "there's a reward" for the job, does it matter if I say yes or no?

Just feels greedy asking for it and I was wondering if I take a hit in my reputation or something. Or, if not asking for a reward ends up in no reward, or less of a reward (some of the gear I want to buy is super expensive).

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    It depends... I've played mostly as a standard goodie-goodie evil fightin crusading hero in my playthrough, where I only ask for rewards from large organisations and obviously rich/evil individual in return for my services. On occasions I have even declined rewards when offered one. I've been playing blind so I'm not sure what I've missed out on, but sometimes, I get a reward without asking, and on one occasion my reputation increased for doing the job for free.

In contrast I've watched a LP where the player roleplayed a Lawful Evil character, who almost always demanded rewards for any duties fulfilled. I remember at least one occasion where the 'quest-giver' responded negatively and mentioned her selfishness.

On average it's safe to say that if you ask for rewards all the time, you will likely get more items/gold in your playthrough than my playthrough. If you play the selfless hero all the time, you will probably get more xp and reputation.
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    Actually, when you have the chance to choose between asking for more and not, in case you say no you receive an extra reputation point in most cases.
  • theOtherGuytheOtherGuy Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, just in case, I reloaded a save just so I didn't ask for a reward.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Asking for rewards can sometimes be detrimental. One of the first quest givers, the girl in the friendly arms in, walks away if you ask her for a reward up front. And as people say, sometimes not wanting a reward nets you a reputation point (you'll never LOSE rep for asking for rewards though).

I've found that most of the times it's actually better to not ask for a reward (if you're playing Good alignment, that is).
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    asking for rewards is a good way of maintaining reputation for evil parties, as it often stops a rep gain from the quest so that you can remain neutral without killing random people
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Don't feel bad or greedy. Do you think the quest giver would freely risk everything for you?

I always demand payment, since it's the most realistic thing to do.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I always ask for something in return, in a complete douchebaggy way.

It's just the way how my PC acts.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    I can't think of any particular instance where you lose out much from demanding a reward. Some characters may comment on your selfishness or simply end dialogue but you can just talk to them again. As others mentioned you may occasionally net yourself an extra rep or exp if you decline rewards.

However, regardless, there are usually not much benefits/disadvantages to asking or refusing rewards. Unless if the consequences were hinted to you specifically, it is fairly safe to just roleplay your character when it comes to these decisions.