Skip to content

For newcomers: New NPC locations, Mod installation instructions **LIGHT SPOILERS**

KahranKahran Member Posts: 4
If you are like me, you've already been turned red and steaming over how hard it seems to be to get results on google on where you can find the new NPC's. Well, it shouldn't be. Since there's a number of ways to go through BG2 and there's a lot to do, many of the new characters can well be missed until the very end of the game if your path just happens to go that way. So instead of the vague, unhelpful comments we see around here, down below you'll see where you ACTUALLY find them.

1. Hexxat - She's in copper coronet the very first time you get there. You'll receive a quest to take her to Dragomir's tomb in the graveyard. Now once there and after the big plot device, be REAL careful about making sure she leaves the place, WITH Dragomir's cloak, and then making doubly sure she actually turns up in copper coronet again afterwards. If you don't, you might find yourself in my situation: over a dozen hours into a game until I realised I can't get Hexxat in my game. She was specifically the one new character I even wanted in my group, forcing me to restart the whole game. So basically I'll be on a break now until next year or the frustration and anger wears off, and I can tread through the boredom for playing these 12+ hours the same way again.

2. Dorn Il-Khan - Temple district, near High Hall of the Radiant Heart. His first quest revolves around murder, so for you good-aligned RP:ers, it's going to be rather impossible to justify bringing him along. But to each their own, just be prepared.

3. Rashaad - He's in trademeet. Plenty of old guides and walkthroughs can point out how to get there.

4. Neera - She's in the Bridge district, just shy of the northern entrance. You might need to go there a few times to trigger her encounter. The first time I got nothing so I just ran through the whole district, took the map to another district and back again, and this time she was there.

Now then, mods:

1. A list of mods can be found here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list
2. Their installation instructions are all either missing or 10 pages long. Ignore them. The idea is easy, unpack it all in your BG2 installation folder, (IE. under Steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition/). Run the exe, and pick your options.
3. WeiDU - Everyone keeps telling you need weidu. Some of you have already checked and realised it's ridiculously hard to understand how and what you need to install with it and what it actually does. The installation instructions and everything you can google for it reveal nothing but pages and pages of confusing instructions, misdirection, things that have nothing to do with anything... and the .exe itself seems to have more to do with actually creating mods, than playing them. Well, most of the mods seem to have their version of WeiDU .exe anyway, so feel free to skip out on the whole thing. I did, and everything works fine for me.
4. The mod download mirrors on pocketplane.net haven't worked ONCE for me, so you might want to forget about them (try it out, but this is my experience). The rest seem to work fine though. Someone might want to tell those guys to get their act together, in a polite manner of course.

Now, I'm going to stay off the game for a few months as I really don't have the patience to start anew. So fair last warning, there's more misinformation, guessworks, and bugs around now than I ever remembered with BG2 in the past (even when it was a mess of jumbled mods, almost half of which didn't work or had the potential to corrupt the game for good). I say it worse than it probably really is, but my particular experience here has been pretty bad, I'm sorry to say.

I've spent hours upon hours of researching things to avoid exactly this problem, having to restart the game or load an ancient save due to some bug etc (not a new thing in the world of BG2). And yet, that's exactly what I had to do after many many more hours of playing the game, despite wasting all that time reading up on misinformed posts about what to do with Hexxat. So, it might be a good idea to take a break, let the people build the wiki's, fix the mod instructions and downloads sites, etc. Or not. Your choice. Have fun!
Post edited by AndreaColombo on