Skip to content

Limited Wish Spell. Does it justify a high wisdom score?

I've been reading that the Limited Wish spell is indefensible for casters, and 18 wisdom is therefore required to get the best wish results.

...But what about for a blackguard (or paladin)? Do you think 18 wisdom is important for the limited wish spell? For all you paladins out there, do you ever find yourself even using the limited wish spell or is it superfluous at best?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    ??? How are you supposed to cast limited wish with a blackguard?
  • serialthrillaserialthrilla Member Posts: 26
    Pibaro said:

??? How are you supposed to cast limited wish with a blackguard?

Why, does it require a good alignment?

(Pardon my noobiness I haven't played in a while)

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Only mage and sorcerer (or high level thief with 'use any item' ability) can cast that spell.
    But you'll need to cast the limited wish spell just few times, and a few potion of insight can do the job.
    The real question is if you need high wisdom for the wish spell.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Limited Wish, and Wish are mage spells. You cannot cast them with any Paladin or Cleric.
  • serialthrillaserialthrilla Member Posts: 26
    Ah that clears things, thanks Pibaro.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Pibaro said:

Only mage and sorcerer (or high level thief with 'use any item' ability) can cast that spell.
    But you'll need to cast the limited wish spell just few times, and a few potion of insight can do the job.
    The real question is if you need high wisdom for the wish spell.

Yes.. it's useful if you want to get a better chance to get the real good/powerful repeatable wishes - it's still just a chance, but the higher the Wisdom the better the chance.. and some of the better options are really worth it! Well.. but guess the fact that those spells can't be cast by a Paladin or pure Cleric answered the matter to serialthrilla already anyway :) ..
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Limited Wish and Wish aren't at all a necessity or even that useful. It's a common trick to use Wish in a particular way at a particular time, but I rarely hear of people that use it outside of that.

The final fight in Throne of Bhaal is a multiple-stage fight without resting options, but you can save and recast Wish untill you get the "resting" option. Makes that fight a walk in the park compared to how it's supposed to be.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wish is really the spell you want to have 18 for. You can get away with a little less with Limited Wish and still get the same results.
    I do love the Limited Wish quest, though. It plays out like the joke filler episode of some TV show. XD
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    When using limited wish, 12 WIS was enough for me to get options like the level 9 shapeshifting spell (!!), or having protection from the negative plane cast on the entire party. Using a potion of insight would allow me to cast time stop. Quite a broken spell for its level, haven't played with the level 9 version yet...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    You can get the bunnies with any wisdom! The bunny horde is where true power lies.
  • DMCDMC Member Posts: 44
    This may have changed, but I seem to recall if you are fast with the talk-click, it's not the caster of the Limited Wish that defines your choices, but the person talking to the genie. I haven't tried it yet really in EE.
    nano said:

You can get the bunnies with any wisdom! The bunny horde is where true power lies.

Wasn't there some kind of insane tactic where you summon the bunny horde and then cast Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on them?
  • DMCDMC Member Posts: 44
    This intrigues me! Tell me more!

nano said:

Wasn't there some kind of insane tactic where you summon the bunny horde and then cast Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on them?
    Yep, if you cast Wish there's a neutral outcome for "Horrid Wilting on everything" which includes the bunnies. So you could unleash a storm of a hundred wiltings if you cast a few limited wishes first. Unfortunately since it's a neutral outcome you have to get lucky... I don't think there's any way to boost the odds of getting it.

Oh yeah, it would be smart to protect yourself before doing so. And probably leave your unprotected party members somewhere else.

I'd do something like Contingency: PfME on enemy sighted, Chain Contingency: Limited Wish x 3 on enemy sighted, hand-cast Wish. Chain Contingency: evil laughter x 3 :)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    @DMC There's one wish to 'summon a horde to overrun my enemies' or something along those lines which creates the bunnies, then another wish which casts ADHW on everything.

Sorry guys, I tried the Limited Wish>Wish trick and it does not in fact work. It doesn't cast one ADHW for every creature, it just casts a single Horrid Wilting that hits the entire level. I blame this spell guide for misleading me :(
  • avocadoavocado Member Posts: 24
    It's okay, I'm sure you'll kill those bunnies one day :(